Over 50 Pounds AND Years...

Options
shantijaya
shantijaya Posts: 1 Member
I'm looking for all the help I can get about how to get and stay on track as an older person wanting to lose 50 or more pounds. Any sisters out there with advice and success in these areas?

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Depending on what your goal weight is 50 can be a reasonable amount to a lot that could be difficult to reach. I started with a reasonable goal and it went up a few times but my main goal was to take my time and do it in a manner that was healthy and one that would instill long term habits.
    So my advice is to take it slow, when making changes to your diet think in terms of can you live without this forever or can you reasonably limit this particular item - I knew coffee, bacon and ice cream will be in my diet forever. I learned how to manage them, and in some ways now I enjoy them more. Limiting some food to initially lose weight is okay but you have to know yourself and if once the weight is off are you going to be able to maintain the loss. Take some time to learn portions - it can be a real eye opener. Like why do cookies come in a pack of 30 when only 2 are considered a serving :'( Can you eat 1 serving or will you eat 4 and call it dinner - this won't work because its not healthy and won't work long term.

If you are looking to get active (I prefer active over exercise because you can always find time to be a little more active) just think about moving more, if you do go to the gym and it is your first time, please take your time and start slow, light and short before jumping into too much and them being down with an injury.

50 Pounds can seem like a lot but it can come be done, just take your time and keep your health in mind at all times.
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great advice from the poster above. Portion control through sheer will-power, and moving more is what works for me, along with water,water, water. I'm over 50 and my target was to lose about 50 lbs. I'm a little over half-way there. Consistency is key...consistency in making sure you input your calories eaten here on MFP and consistency in moving more. My motto is 'don't wait to feel like it...just do it". You can lose weight without exercise, but I try to do something active everyday and usually I only eat no more than one-third of my exercise calories back. I aim to burn at least 450 calories through exercise daily. I have high blood pressure so I also watch my sodium intake, but if I do have to much sodium, the scale doesn't move for me due to water retention. If you stick to the number of daily calories given to you by MFP you should start to see results soon. Don't get frustrated...you can do this!!
  • swwillis
    swwillis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern. I want to lose about 50 but keep going back to those same old habits. Thanks for the advice from the other posts. Going to make this time different!