Aging and exercise...

Options
Hi all, I've gone from Sedentary to working hard to lose weight, and it's harder than it used to be. I'm needing lots more sleep, and it takes me longer to recover than it did when I was younger (no surprise there I guess). How are you finding your recovery time from workouts? Do you experience fatigue? If so, what helps?

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,046 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for starting the journey.

I'm not an expert by any stretch. I don't find my recovery time is any longer than when I was younger but I do find I get fatigued more easily. Getting and remaining motivated is harder. I don't know if there is a predictable way to fix that other than working your tail off.
  • dianaejennings
    dianaejennings Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My motivation level is pretty high, actually, partly because I'm so fed up but also because I have learned what keeps me going. Having social supports in person and on the internet is big for me. But arthritis runs strong in my family and there are days where the knees, back, neck and hips are hard to deal with.

I've been hard at it for over two months and have lost 10% -- 23 pounds.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress. I do find it takes longer to recover after workouts. On the days I work out, it's early to bed or I'm asleep in the chair. I've had to back off to two sessions of power-lifting a week. I'll be 61 in a couple weeks. I'm still gradually building mass, muscle instead of the easier to produce fat, but lifters my age need to recognize the real limitations of the mileage on the frame.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes time to recover!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I did seven miles Saturday with a thirty pound pack. I've been walking less due to busy work schedule. Five days later still feeling it. It is what it is
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I did seven miles Saturday with a thirty pound pack. I've been walking less due to busy work schedule. Five days later still feeling it. It is what it is

Wow! That's impressive
    No wonder your feeling it :)
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I did a 6 mile hike on Monday gone. Hole of Horcum in Levisham. North Yorkshire. A very varied walk. I realised just how much fitness I've lost since I left the gym. I'm going to do more walking to improve my fitness
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    I did a 6 mile hike on Monday gone. Hole of Horcum in Levisham. North Yorkshire. A very varied walk. I realised just how much fitness I've lost since I left the gym. I'm going to do more walking to improve my fitness

Walking is always good exercise. It's free, you already know how to do it and you can do it almost any time and place. I know quite a few people who have lost weight, kept it off and got more fit primarily by walking.

• djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find that at times when I bend or squat I am now making those groans I used to hear come from my parents or grandparents! OUCH! I never thoughts I would be at that point. But I still keep on exercising and running. Got to keep active.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    You rust out faster than you wear out.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    djscavone wrote: »
    I find that at times when I bend or squat I am now making those groans I used to hear come from my parents or grandparents! OUCH! I never thoughts I would be at that point. But I still keep on exercising and running. Got to keep active.

I'm exactly the same. I never thought I would get to this point. Old age & poverty ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Most of us, as we get older, need less sleep. That isn't the case with everybody, of course, so if you need to sleep you need to sleep. Congratulations on it, too.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Well said B4achy :)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    This morning, I volunteered as part of a group providing traffic control for a motorcycling event called Ride for Dad. The event is a fundraiser for prostate cancer research. It's a combination of parade and a "poker run" when riders go from station to station along a route collecting stamps on their card. My part was pretty small... just standing at an intersection keeping cars from pulling out into the midst of the parade.

As I watched the +2000 motorcycles rolling past, it was an interesting variety of motorcycles... everything from Vespas to sportbikes to Harley cruisers to fully decks touring bikes (sofas on wheels). There was also an interesting variety of riders... all ages, stages and sizes... There was plenty of gray hair... which is a good thing... and everyone was enjoying themselves... except the obligatory one guy who had a breakdown...

The reason I mention this is I'm frustrated with my lack of progress with weight loss... and perhaps that was playing on my mind as I watched the bikers streaming past. Frankly, it was disheartening how many people were obese. To be honest, those around my age were generally fitter than those a decade younger (40s)... and they were better than those in their 30s. Those in their twenties and younger were generally still relative fit but even some of them were fluffy...

I'm not sure what to make of it... something for me to meditate on, I suppose. Perhaps those in their fifties and up decide to take better care of themselves and make it so? Maybe today's 40s were be fitter in a decade?
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Stay the course Mac. I'm frustrated with my weight loss as well, but still determined. I'm eating a fraction of what I used to eat when younger, but still struggling to lose. Geezer metabolism. I am stronger and more muscled up than I ever was after three years of lifting, and the regular exercise keeps the warrantee up on the rebuilt heart. I'm still determined to get rid of the spare tire.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I don't like to blame it on the geezer metabolism although that is likely part of the issue. I've been changing my diet, slowly modifying as I want the changes to be sustainable. My body fat has dropped and skeletal muscle grown but the body weight remains effectively static.

Although I've resisted doing so, I recently started weighing/measuring portions. Prior to measuring, I was "best guessing" my portions... and I was surprised to find my guesses were fairly accurate. I thought I wasn't losing because my guesses were high. I was off a bit but less than 10% so not remarkably so.

More years ago than I care to remember, I did a super strict fat stripping diet prep for a bodybuilding competition. I'm considering doing something similar to get the weight down and establish a new baseline weight. That being said, when I did that, my cousin was my workout partner. He was the coach and nutritionist. I guess I should have paid better attention to what we were doing. I remember thinking at the time that the food was kinda boring but I'll be damned if I can remember the portion sizes etc.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel that working out takes a lot more out of me than years ago. It makes it difficult for me to stay motivated to work out. I totally can relate!!!
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a good goal, but I think the emphasis needs to be move it or lose it. Muscles that are not used will weaken. We all need to have the attitude that we will continue to move as long as we are able. I have a frozen shoulder that doesn't move right. I got therapy and strengthened it. It still isn't right, but the pain is gone. The pain wasn't the immobility, it was the weakness. It doesn't matter if you lose weight or if your matabolism is messed up. Just move and don't stop.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I was chatting with a guy at my motorcycle social group who was carping about being stiff. I asked if he has tried yoga. He said he didn't think he could do yoga as he was too inflexible. I asked if he would avoid eating if he was extremely hungry. He shook his head... so I said his body was hungry for yoga so he needed to feed it. He looked skeptical so I pointed out how yoga is non-competitive, no impact and proven to help improve quality of life. Not sure I converted him but anything is possible. Ommmmmm....