Crazy places you've found carbs (and how many)!?!

Options
cacolorado
cacolorado Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
I ordered a San Pellegrino Pompelmo, a flavorful sparkling grapefruit beverage at lunch today, thinking "oh, nice.... it will be sparkling water with a splash of grapefruit for flavor." UGH! WRONG! There are 34 grams of CARB/SUGAR in WATER!! Utterly ridiculous. Needless to say, that was a big disappointment.

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Seasoning salt! 2 tbsp had 3 g/c I'm like it's seasoning SALT not sugar lol but sugar seems to be in EVERYTHING :s
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Liquid Smoke and (I suspect) library paste......

PS Does sugar by any other name smell as *kitten* ?

Sugars by other names......

Let's see, mmmm......Maltodextrin, Maltol, Maltose, Mannose - all sugar! (Not to mention corn syrup "solids" :s )
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Store bought chicken broth! I was so disappointed! It's not in all store bought chicken broth...but I check the ingredients from now on.
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Monin brand of sugar-free vanilla syrup that my local coffee shop (Caribou) uses-9g carbs/serving!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Why would anyone add sugar to bacon? It's just so very very wrong.
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Guilty, well sort of lol, if I'm craving something sweet I'll sprinkle bacon with stevia and cocoa powder, always hits that sweet/salty spot :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Guilty, well sort of lol, if I'm craving something sweet I'll sprinkle bacon with stevia and cocoa powder, always hits that sweet/salty spot :)

Ah, see that doesn't count because it is stevia! ;)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to see 300g of cucumber had 14 grams of carbs
  • RalfLott
    Options
    eneild wrote: »
    Monin brand of sugar-free vanilla syrup that my local coffee shop (Caribou) uses-9g carbs/serving!

Whoa. Where do those carbs come from? Erythritol?
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    eneild wrote: »

Whoa. Where do those carbs come from? Erythritol?

Yes and, if I remember correctly, monk fruit as well and there might have been something else I missed as the barista read through the ingredients.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey. I was surprised to find not many but some carb grams listed for the frozen turkey patties I've been buying at Sam's Club. When I read the ingredient list, what should appear but sugar. Back to where I should have stayed: sirloin patties, ingredients = sirloin.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Ground turkey. I was surprised to find not many but some carb grams listed for the frozen turkey patties I've been buying at Sam's Club. When I read the ingredient list, what should appear but sugar. Back to where I should have stayed: sirloin patties, ingredients = sirloin.

You can look through a lot of meat at the deli counter - even pricey Boar's Head stuff - before you find anything without dextrose. And there was even cornstarch in the gouda!
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of having the occasional soda. I was shocked to realize that Fresca has 1 gram of carb per serving!!! No more for me!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Scallops! I know @Gallowmere1984 schooled me on the WWWHHHYYYY?!? But I'm only on my first mug of Joe, so I can't think. But scallops, oysters, clams etc. It has something to do with *shudders* rigor mortis.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Scallops! I know @Gallowmere1984 schooled me on the WWWHHHYYYY?!? But I'm only on my first mug of Joe, so I can't think. But scallops, oysters, clams etc. It has something to do with *shudders* rigor mortis.

Yes. Invertebrates don't go through rigor mortis when they die, so they retain their glycogen stores. Beef, chicken, fish etc. would also have carbs if eaten immediately after being killed.

Basically, rigor mortis only subsides once the energy required to maintain rigidity has been burned off.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Wow, I haven't had any since going low carb, I have cut back on eating out a lot. But scallops and clams are things I eat with I travel. I live in the mountain area, so I live to vacation by the sea. Guess I will eat more crab going forwards than scallops which I adore. I have always loved sardines, salmon, and other oily fishes, so I can still have those.

I see by googling shrimp is about 1 carb per shrimp, I can live with that. This is really good stuff to know about, thanks for posting about it.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh, but I don't eat oysters any more. It's against my religion. However, I love prawns, mussels and other seafood.... and eat it in abundance. Sashimi, smoked salmon, I make my own gravadlax too... that is so good!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Mayo.

Most mayos have added sugar in them, for some unknown reason. I never noticed until I had started making my own (to get away from soy/canola oil), which just consisted of egg, oil, and spices. Then I had a commercial mayo and it tasted sweet! I was like, "WTF?"

Now, trying to find a mayo that doesn't use soy or canola oil and doesn't have added sugar is like a game of "Where's Waldo?" (hard mode if you also want some that's not like $10 for an 8oz jar).
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I agree, it's ridiculous, right....? That's why I always make my own. Why pay that much money, when you can make your own for a few cents/pence....? And it takes fewer than 30 seconds - !
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Who adds stuff to such perfection?