Crazy places you've found carbs (and how many)!?!

Options

Replies

• dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Seasoning packets... For tacos, pot roast, soups, etc...
    The carbs are ridiculous
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I was upset when I realized sriracha sauce has 1g per teaspoon rather than per tablespoon. I used to use.... a lot of that on my stirfrys.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    Seasoning packets... For tacos, pot roast, soups, etc...
    The carbs are ridiculous

There's sugar in bullion! :rage:

For seasoning mixes, I've just given up and made my own. It's better that way, anyway.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's ridiculous, right....? That's why I always make my own. Why pay that much money, when you can make your own for a few cents/pence....? And it takes fewer than 30 seconds - !

Here in the South, you can always find Dukes Mayonnaise. It's the only one I know of that doesn't have sugar as an ingredient. If you order online, it's pretty pricey, so I was happy to find Dukes at my local Publix grocery store. My own DIY-mayo attempts have been less than stellar.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Morton's iodized table salt has dextrose on the ingredient list. It doesn't show to add carbs, per 1/4 tsp serving, but why?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Morton's iodized table salt has dextrose on the ingredient list. It doesn't show to add carbs, per 1/4 tsp serving, but why?

If you measure by the nanogram, you can get away with rounding even mercury, arsenic, and old lace to 0!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Wow, I haven't had any since going low carb, I have cut back on eating out a lot. But scallops and clams are things I eat with I travel. I live in the mountain area, so I live to vacation by the sea. Guess I will eat more crab going forwards than scallops which I adore. I have always loved sardines, salmon, and other oily fishes, so I can still have those.

I see by googling shrimp is about 1 carb per shrimp, I can live with that. This is really good stuff to know about, thanks for posting about it.

Crab retains its glycogen as well.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning. **grumble grumble** Really grinds my gears....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

"Taco Seasoning I" from allrecipes.com is good to me. No sugar and just 8 or 9 common spices/herbs. I started making it years ago when on a low sodium due to high blood pressure so just left out the salt at that time. I finally ran out of my old batch without salt and made a fresh batch just last night with salt per the recipe. While YMMV, both my husband and I thought it was too salty so you might want to adjust the salt down initially. It is easy to add more later to taste. It will last in the pantry for a very long time without clumping cuz just herbs/spices. We know we like it so I usually make the recipe X 4 or 8.

I just fry up the ground beef, add the spice mix and a little water then simmer for a few minutes while the flavors marry and the water evaporates. Just don't let the meat get too dry. No need for those weird thickeners and other ingredients in prepackaged taco seasoning. I use about a couple tablespoons in 8 oz of ground beef.
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Squash Light (from Harboe) - it has between 0-1g of carbs from sugar, and 5 calories per 50cL bottle. Disappointing, but when I have one from time to time (guilty pleasure) I log it as 1 carb, all from sugar. Grumble.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

This one irritated me as well. Taco salad has been a staple in my house for decades. It used to be once a week. Less now. I don't follow any recipe for my own seasoning, and technically, it probably isn't close to real taco seasoning, but I just mix in whatever strikes my fancy but always include dark chili powder and cayenne powder as well as salt and black pepper. Other common spices would be curry (not too much because I don't want to make it an Indian dish), cumin, basil, Tony Chacheres. I like my food hot, so adding in some of the juice from pickled jalapenos and some habanero sauce while it is simmering is good too.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    You should hear my wife go off on 'store-bought' taco seasoning :smiley: She's not even eating low-carbs and hates the stuff... although, she is half-Mexican and was raised by her full-blooded Mexican grandmother, so her taco seasoning is done on the fly - little bit of this, little bit of that, some of this other stuff and poof - the best taco seasoning I've ever had!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    And however excellent, it's never quite the same twice - but always just as good!
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Kraft has a "Real Mayo" that is 0 carb/serving. It was on sale yesterday and I picked some up.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Split pea soup. Had like 60 carbs when I went to log it...after. :|
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Spokez70 wrote: »
    Split pea soup. Had like 60 carbs when I went to log it...after. :|

LOL. Sad, the amount of carbs. It's so tasty.

I'm not surprised by the amount of carbs in "anything tomato" but it does make me sad. I make my own marinara and don't add sugar but a half cup of it has at least 9 carbs per the recipe I built with bits of onion and such.

And then there is 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste @7 carbs. Bummer.

1/2 ounce of sun-dried tomatoes isn't bad at 6 carbs given the amount in a 1/2 ounce. And of course, there is regular ketchup...the Heinz sweet stuff at 5 carbs per tablespoon. It was pretty hard for me to justify some of those when I was eating <20 grams of carbs per day.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    So the local grocery store takes chickens that are probably about to reach the expiration date. They cut them in half and coat them with something that looks like paprika. They go with a bargain price tag in a package that says "Great for BBQ!"

We have had these a couple of times. I noted both times that my blood glucose was freakishly high for me when I took readings at one hour and two hours after eating. Sometimes it is just high for no good reason, but this chicken seemed to provoke it. It did not taste at all sweet.

My wife got some today and asked me to cook it on the grill. She gets home late. I checked the label, and the first ingredient on the coating is sugar.

I rinsed it well to get all the red off before it went on the grill. Being water soluble, some of it may have leeched into the meat. I am claiming my readings will be better this time, but we may not buy that chicken any more.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kraft has a "Real Mayo" that is 0 carb/serving. It was on sale yesterday and I picked some up.

Check the ingredients, it still has sugar. Never just trust the serving based info, because they can round down when it's less than .5g in a serving.

It was Kraft mayo that I noticed tasted sweet after a time of making my own.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I swear even the air was sweetened last time I was in Starbucks....
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but my smoked turkey had icing sugar!! listed as an ingredient.