Sugar

Options
There's hidden sugar in everything (for example I've had 150ml Almond Milk) and this has raised my sugar levels to 4g. Does sugar have to be totally 0 in Keto?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I never saw such an animal. (Would love to, though!)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that the almond milk raised your serum blood glucose levels? There are sweetened and unsweetened almond milks, but nuts have carbs, so the "milk" will have some carbs, too, which will impact your carb counts and blood glucose numbers. Even if you make your own, there are still carbs. I am not aware of any milk replacement product that has fully zero carbs. But there is a far cry of difference in how things affect the body.

4 grams of sugar is bad.
    For most of us, 4 grams of dextrose or maltodextrin are worse.
    4 grams of wheat is bad.
    4 grams of broccoli carbs generally slip right by and the body doesn't even recognize them as carbs.
    4 grams of almond milk carbs is probably more impact than fibrous veggie carbs, but less than grain carbs... It typically won't have the pulp's fiber bulk, so you're getting natural nut sugars.

But unless you're diabetic or sensitive/undiagnosed allergic to a type of nut (not anaphalatic, but inflammation response), it probably isn't too big of a deal. Only way to know how much is to test yourself regularly or do experiments with and without it.
  • chococupcakes
    chococupcakes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm new to Keto si I've not even started testing my blood. I'm talking about the sugar in the foods I've eaten today. I've just completed my diary and it's as follows:
    Protein - 61g against a goal of 60g,
    Carbs - 34g against a targeted 30g
    Fat- 83g , goal 93g
    Sugar - 21g , goal 45g (should this sugar level be 0 in keto? Is that even possible). I'm just totally confused..watched a video on YouTube whereby the guy said sugar should be zero in keto).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You do want to try to have zero ADDED sugars, and keep natural sugars as low as possible.

I just popped over to look at your diary, and I don't see anything with added sugars. From what I can see, given the language difference (it shows in German, to me, I believe. The natural sugars in zucchini and cauliflower are not a major concern.

So you don't want to eat, say carrots with a brown sugar glaze, but a small portion of carrots alone are generally fine. It's really very individual. Dave Asprey and Chris Kressler and a few others actually suggest that 20-30 grams as an induction phase goal, then suggest testing to determine your own personal carb threshold.

Personally, I can tell you that I can do 50-60 grams of carbs when from veggies like this and maintain nutritional ketosis, but maybe only 20 grams of carbs from grains, and then split into at least two meals, to maintain it. Maybe 12-15 grams if I'm having a sugary treat (bad idea, believe me)... It really is so individual a result, there is no one answer.

So if you are sticking with natural, whole foods, you don't have much to worry about in the way of natural sugar carbs, as long as you're not eating corn, potatoes, peas, etc., or at least in very small portions in combination with other foods...

The main reason for this is that any significant amount of carbs will cause a insulin reaction - release of insulin to transport the converted glucose (all carbs eventually convert to glucose, aside from insoluble fiber, etc.) to the cells for usage. Once your body releases insulin to process the carbs, fat burning is temporarily suspended, and that is the core function of why a ketogenic diet works for folks the way it does - it burns fat rather than breaking down muscles to for glucose when we don't eat enough, etc. To maximize the fat burning potential, it's helpful to keep all carb levels down as much as possible WHILE KEEPING YOUR DIET VARIED ENOUGH for proper nutrition AND long term compliance with your dietary plan. Both are important - to me, being able to stick to your plan warrants including foods with natural sugars as well as getting a variety of nutrients if you aren't just eating all fatty meats, etc.

Let me know if this makes sense.
  • chococupcakes
    chococupcakes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aha!! Now I understand. Thanks very much!!
  • PammerWC
    PammerWC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can have up to 30 g of sugar though I am trying to stay around 20g. Silk makes coconut/almond milk unsweetened for 35 calories per 8 oz glass. My guess is that you are getting sweetened almond milk.