Your Meatless OMAD Experiences

Options
arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Occasionally, I will go vegan (or vegetarian). Although it isn't for long, I tend to go a week here and there completely animal-product-free for my meals. When I do, I love the way I feel.

During this time, I will do MacDougal-ish dieting, with white rice (of course!), fruits, and fruit juices, but also, I will allow for beans as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO5qVQp__9k

Give examples of your meatless OMAD routines.

Replies

• ShannonOMAD
    ShannonOMAD Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, and have no trouble making meals and staying full! It is very easy (maybe too easy!) to get enough calories in, when you have such filling and nutritious meals based on grains, lentils, and beans. Rice, oats, potatoes, even pasta and doughs make great bases for meals. Pick a starch and go from there! Add in all veggies you like, some beans, tofu, or mock meats if you're looking for extra protein. Fruits, sauces, and spices go a long way to add flavor.
  • Omadding
    Omadding Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how about nuts/seeds? Oils? Do you need these to get enough calories in OMAD?

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Doing meatless OMAD, you would indeed need a LOT of food, including nuts, seeds, and oils. I vary my routines, but sometimes, a meatless week is refreshing to me.
  • ShannonOMAD
    ShannonOMAD Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    how about nuts/seeds? Oils? Do you need these to get enough calories in OMAD?

You definitely don't need them to get calories in. Believe me, it is not hard to meet your calorie and macro needs using whole plant-based foods! But if you struggle, then yes, just tossing your brussels sprouts in olive oil before roasting can add 110 calories! Eating 2 tbsp of peanut butter can get you 200 calories! Oil is a quick and dirty way to add calories. But you don't need calories just to eat calories, it does matter where that energy is coming from... In my opinion, it is better to fill up on grains and starchy veggies/beans for the bulk of your calories, because they are way more filling, and much less more nutritionally dense. And nuts and oils should be added more for flavor than for substance.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ^^True. I actually follow a raw food vegan on FaceBook, RebelDietician. The woman is a lean, mean, muscle machine. She does not use oil and eats a butt ton of fruit and vegetables, and nuts and seeds, etc., daily, and she's been an IFer for years. When she does have cooked food, it's typically steel cut oats, quino, etc., and she loves her nuts and seeds.

Snagged her FB Profile Pic for proof lol

5q361djv5yrp.png
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I imagine one of the greatest things about the OMAD way of eating is that it would make any dietary practice way easier. You no longer would have to worry about a variety of daily decisions in regard to what you eat. You would only have one meal, one plate of food worth of decisions to make. Good bye decision fatigue!!

Day 10 OMAD and going strong!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    ^^True. I actually follow a raw food vegan on FaceBook, RebelDietician. The woman is a lean, mean, muscle machine. She does not use oil and eats a butt ton of fruit and vegetables, and nuts and seeds, etc., daily, and she's been an IFer for years. When she does have cooked food, it's typically steel cut oats, quino, etc., and she loves her nuts and seeds.

Snagged her FB Profile Pic for proof lol

5q361djv5yrp.png

WOW! Her body is amazing!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    @1MADGIRL, I know, right? She's living proof that meats and dairy aren't the only places protein comes from.