Ok, best hints to kick-start continued weight-loss from a stall...?

Options
AlexandraCarlyle
AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
Like many ladies - and perhaps, gents too, I've reached, and been stuck at, a plateau for a good couple of weeks now. Always around the 123 -125lbs, and nothing I'm doing seems to be making any progress. I do fasts, then eat normally; even then I don't quite reach all my Protein/fat goals, although I'm pretty successful at the carb levels....

So what does anyone suggest? How do you kick that stall to the kerb? (Brit-English spelling. Dead giveaway.... ;) )

Replies

• jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think that depends on a number of things.

Do some reflection. What are your measurements doing? Have you been gaining muscle? Have you been injured recently/could you be retaining water via inflammation? Do you need to readjust your calorie goal to reflect your current weight? Have carbs been sneaking in through sauces or spices? Have you been sick or could your body be fighting something off?

Honestly two weeks isn't long for a stall and the closer you get to your goal the less helpful the scale will be. I'd just keep on as is for a couple more weeks and focus more on measurements than the scale.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jayerde wrote: »
    I think that depends on a number of things.

Do some reflection. What are your measurements doing? Have you been gaining muscle?
    No...
    Do you need to readjust your calorie goal to reflect your current weight?

I have absolutely no idea how or why to ascertain this... But I gauged my intake via a keto calculator about a week or two ago, and as things stand, it's all correct. In fact, based on that, I DID reduce calorific intake, but of course, the calorie calculator here doesn't assess the 'quality' of your calorific intakes, just the amounts....
    Have carbs been sneaking in through sauces or spices?
    No. Everything I make is home made and sauces have consisted mainly of non-carb ingredients.... ant they have been few and far between....
    Have you been sick or could your body be fighting something off?
    No, I am actually in rude health, apart from being menopausal. And that began last year. I have lost a fair degree of weight since I began this WOE, about a month or slightly more, ago...
    Honestly two weeks isn't long for a stall and the closer you get to your goal the less helpful the scale will be. I'd just keep on as is for a couple more weeks and focus more on measurements than the scale.

yes, I must say, measurements have been encouraging....

ETA: Where are my manners - ?! Thank you for your response and taking the time to consider my question! :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hard to imagine the featherweight Current You has a lot left to lose!

Here's a radical thought... maybe you're at goal. :)

Phinney offered that a good working definition of goal weight is the weight you can reasonably and comfortably reach and maintain on a well-formulated ketogenic diet.

You may want to reduce your BMI, but you really don't want to lose muscle mass in the process, right?

Assuming you need to lose another 10+lbs., what's the hurry? Remember time and consistency in following a good diet are your allies; impatience, er, ain't.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Oh, @RalfLott I wish I was as svelte and curvy as you are! :D

I have been lower weight-wise, but I was a lot more active then - I ran a Garden Centre (Plants department) and that kept me walking maybe 4 - 6 miles a day, more if I had boundary checks and/or premises security duty....

Since the 'affliction' to my leg has worsened, and my job is less active, I'm not 'working out' as much.
    Maybe I could take up swimming or cycling....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Oh and you know, you're absolutely right about 'what's the hurry'...? In fact, gradual or continual progress is better than a sharp decrease. Am going on holiday to Italy in August (I'll be seeing some relatives for the first time in maybe 20 years!) so I want that 'bikini body'...! (Me, at 60... wanting a bikini body.... just having a body should be enough, right!? ;) :P )
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Oh and you know, you're absolutely right about 'what's the hurry'...? In fact, gradual or continual progress is better than a sharp decrease. Am going on holiday to Italy in August (I'll be seeing some relatives for the first time in maybe 20 years!) so I want that 'bikini body'...! (Me, at 60... wanting a bikini body.... just having a body should be enough, right!? ;) :P )

Che fortuna! ! Figlia mia, fra 12 settimane sarai certamente bellissima anche senza bikini. Fretta e furia fanno solamente diarrea.
  • jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea how or why to ascertain this... But I gauged my intake via a keto calculator about a week or two ago, and as things stand, it's all correct. In fact, based on that, I DID reduce calorific intake, but of course, the calorie calculator here doesn't assess the 'quality' of your calorific intakes, just the amounts....

Updating macros after you've lost weight is because your body ends up needing less calories for day to day functions so they need to be reduced as you lose to retain the same deficit.
    However if you're instead building muscle you end up needing more calories in order to maintain them.

Since you had a look at a calculator a couple weeks back I doubt that's your issue.

I've also read somewhere that once you've lost 10% of your body weight it can be a struggle to keep losing for the next couple months (sorry I have no sources to back that up so could be incorrect) As long as you are feeling healthier you're probably on the right track :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What cool responses from everyone, you're all bang on and very helpful!

@RalfLott non vedo l'ora di mettermi in viaggio, e contando le settimane mi fa molto piacere - meglio contare le settimane, che le figure sulla bilancia!

@Sunny_bunny, progress indeed, I see what you mean - and I sheepishly admit I just realised I've gone down two - not one, but two! - jeans sizes! Oh my, throwing those old things out, right now! Charity shops are going to do well by me!

@jayerde, thanks so much for your reply. You're right, feeling good is definitely superior to 'lookin' good', and in my case, I have to say, I feel really great, so thanks for that reminder!
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My first time following a variation of a LCHF diet was with "Wheat Belly". Dr Davis, the author of the book, has some suggestions of things to try when people stall http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/i-lost-the-wheat-but-didnt-lose-weight-2/. Maybe they would be helpful for you.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Wow!! What an inspiration and a great motivator your pics are!! I so wish I would have taken a before pic. I did take measurements so I have that, and the inches I've already lost is shocking, for the amount of weight.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Thanks, @PaulaJSchiller, I have to say, the majority of the article didn't apply to me - but I DID see this, which clanged the clanger....
    Also, Intermittent fasting should not be confused with the habitual skipping of meals, e.g., always skipping breakfast; habitual and consistent meal skipping actually causes weight gain. If you skip meals, do so in an unpredictable and random pattern, so that your body does not adjust and ratchet down its metabolic rate.

I think, rather than doing that, I may be guilty of 'skipping meals' which would account for something. Interesting....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Hi @tcunbeliever , yes, I'd like to up my activity... Last time I went on an ill-fated 'diet'(!) I also cycled to work and back, which proved massively beneficial.

It's a long story, but cycling, at the moment, is not possible for me, so I'm going to have to have a re-think on that aspect; I have a degenerative problem with my left leg, and I wear a custom-made caliper, so movement is somewhat impeded.
    I can swim though, and I may well be able to consider a static bike, but that gets really boring for me....I've tried it, and even with a tv to watch, or music to listen to, it's not something I can devote myself to with the right amount of dedication....!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I used to be good about ONLY allowing myself to watch TV if I was also walking on the treadmill...but that was back when there was good TV to watch...I haven't been on the treadmill in probably a month...I think Lucifer is starting again, maybe that will be good incentive to get back at it!!! I did manage to do a darebee while watching Stargate reruns last night, but it was totally a motivation struggle, and I almost didn't win that one...I totally wanted to just sit with a glass of wine instead.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    If you are fasting, try Megan Ramos's suggestion of switching it up:

http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=58

You can listen to the podcast online there. Or if using a podcast app on your phone or tablet just look up 2ketodudes episode 58.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    If measurements are changing the scale doesn't matter.
    Things are different on LCHF. You can very easily lose fat without losing weight. It seems that has been the case for you as well.
    Don't get fixated on a number.
    I had a very long "stall". Or did I?
    22lvyvn83wtp.jpg

Thanks for reposting this, always motivational.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Like many ladies - and perhaps, gents too, I've reached, and been stuck at, a plateau for a good couple of weeks now. Always around the 123 -125lbs, and nothing I'm doing seems to be making any progress. I do fasts, then eat normally; even then I don't quite reach all my Protein/fat goals, although I'm pretty successful at the carb levels....

So what does anyone suggest? How do you kick that stall to the kerb? (Brit-English spelling. Dead giveaway.... ;) )

Yep I am a gent in the same boat. What used to work very easily just doesn't have the same effect. But I am down 30lbs and 4 pants sizes. So if I step back and think about what I have accomplished I don't get discouraged about stalls anymore. I bet if you looked at your progress you will proud too and know if you stick with it you'll get there
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss has actually stalled (that means the same weight +/- 1-2lbs for more than 4 weeks), then you are eating at maintenance and need to adjust your calories in/out.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    You might want to watch your trending weight as well. Trendweight.com is what I use, and there are apps for smartphones and tablets as well that show your trend. @Sunny_Bunny_ has recommended one, but I didn't save that info, since I use the pc app. Maybe she will be so kind as to repost the app she uses for you.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Libra is the app for android phones - I use it daily. I don't remember what the apple phone app is called.