Are you 3+ years out (or around that)? Need advice

Options
Antlerdancer
Antlerdancer Posts: 19 Member
Hi everyone-
How many grams of protein are you shooting for daily? And, is that the same amount you eat if you're actively trying to lose? Thank you for the refresher - I'm WAY off course!

Want more details about moi? Nutshell: sleeved in April '14. Lost a good amount of weight, from 276 at highest to about 188 at lowest (and best!) point. In Sept of '15 I realized that though I had lost weight, I could FEEL a lot better if I ate less crap, focused on the program and started seriously exercising. I went from about 196 - 188 and felt AMAZING due to eating low carb, easy on the sugar and weight lifting every other day in my garage, alternating with hiking. Then I got pregnant. Gained about 20 lbs altogether, lost it within 2 weeks of kiddo's birth, but as of Halloween I stopped milk production and WHOAAA I've been on the gain train since. Let's just say a combo of OLD habits, stress and fatigue have put me in a spiral. Working hard to get out, baby steps.

I need a refresher of "the rules," though, especially as they pertain to our protein goals for losing.
Thank you!!

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just eat whole foods and don't worry about anything except keeping my added sugars and refined carbs low.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The calculation my surgeon gave me was multiply your current body weight by .3 for your grams per day. Example if you are 188 x .3 your daily protein needs are 56. My surgeon does say do not go below 60 g per day.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm still in the actively losing phase. I try never to be below 60 grams of protein. I'm usually closer to 80. I watch the protein and I try to keep the refined carbs and added sugars out. Those are really the only things I concern myself with. Well, those things and trying to force myself to drink more water than I actually want.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 2+ years out and at goal +/- 2 pounds. HW 267, CW 135. I'm still eating the recommended 65g of protein daily. Honestly, I can't say much has changed with my diet from the weight loss phase to the maintenance phase.
  • Kimcam07
    Kimcam07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @ loveshoe what is your exercise regimen looking like if I may ask? Or do you maintain your CW with diet only?
  • Antlerdancer
    Antlerdancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all! Very helpful. I absolutely am working on nixing sugar and crap carbs. @Kimcam07 during my pre-pregnancy glory days, I did a weightlifting routine in my garage every other day, which really made a difference in toning up. I lost about 10 pounds over the course of a couple of months, but also and more importantly lost a dress size. I used just hand weights - we have a set of hand weights with adjustable weight - I was able to start at a light weight and quickly increase. Lifting as heavy as I could manage while maintaining form was key. I would write down a routine, follow it that day, and check off as I did the moves. The other days I'd go hiking or take a walk or whatever.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love hiking. I hike with my son strapped to my back and wearing a dress lol

Im a bypasser and was told to always eat the protein portion of my meal first, followed by vegetables and complex carbs if i have any space for them

I was also told for yogurts and the like to aim for ones with under 5g of sugar per 100g

I like fage yogurt mixed with a little options white chocolate hot chocolate powder