Starting... This is day 4 for me

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
Hi all! Just found out about this group and so happy it's here as a resource. I am starting my Lower Carb lifestyle. I'm starting this journey off as what I'd call 'Low Carb, Higher Fat and Moderate Protein' because I'm not sticking to 20g or under of Carbs because I'm still incorporating fruit into my diet.

This is only day 4 but I've felt such amazing changes so far! I had the totally SAD (Standard American Diet) of far too many grains, wheat, processed foods, sugars, etc in my diet but on Monday I cut that out cold turkey and have completely cut out the grains and have been getting my carbs purely from fruit. I have also cut out dairy, though I know full-fat dairy is a staple of LCHF diets. But for me I really wanted to change up my diet drastically, so I also cut that out for now (I also break out from dairy so I figure it's an inflammatory food and I wanted to cut it out too for health reasons).

To get my fats, I've been taking Udo's oil, 2-3 tablespoons a day in a smoothie. Have also been eating eggs and meat.

So far, I feel great. It's only day 4 and I feel like my clothes are looser on me and my stomach has gone down in size dramatically. I felt like I just had a bloated stomach all the time and now it's finally shrinking! My energy is also great during the day, however I've gone to sleep earlier all week, maybe because my body is just learning how to process the foods differently without the presence of carbs? It's weird but I just already feel so much more body-confident in just 4 days.

Looking forward to this new lifestyle! Is there anyone else out there like me who does their own version of LCHF (still incorporating fruit daily)? Does this kind of lifestyle actually have a proper name?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »

Looking forward to this new lifestyle! Is there anyone else out there like me who does their own version of LCHF (still incorporating fruit daily)? Does this kind of lifestyle actually have a proper name?

Really everyone does their own version, and we seem pretty relaxed here. There is a lot of trial and error as you figure out what works and what doesn't.
  • Seajolly
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Really everyone does their own version, and we seem pretty relaxed here. There is a lot of trial and error as you figure out what works and what doesn't.

Thanks, that makes me feel good that I won't be judged here. :)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We have several here that are what we call slow carbers and then we have zero carbers and everything in between. You'll fit right in. :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right path. If you cut out the processed carbs (most of which are grain based - bread, crackers, cookies, etc.), you have done the single most healthful thing you could do, IMHO.

The only caution I would have is on the Udo's oil. My understanding is it is a combo including Omega 6. It is almost impossible to eat and not get enough Omega 6. Nearly everyone has levels of Omega 6 that are too high in relation to Omega 3. I would recommend getting your fats from real foods versus supplements, but if you are going to use a supplement, I don't see any reason to use one that has Omega 6.

Omega 6 causes inflammation - which is required for healing from wounds, but not anywhere near the level we get from most diets.

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
  • Seajolly
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    It sounds like you are on the right path. If you cut out the processed carbs (most of which are grain based - bread, crackers, cookies, etc.), you have done the single most healthful thing you could do, IMHO.

The only caution I would have is on the Udo's oil. My understanding is it is a combo including Omega 6. It is almost impossible to eat and not get enough Omega 6. Nearly everyone has levels of Omega 6 that are too high in relation to Omega 3. I would recommend getting your fats from real foods versus supplements, but if you are going to use a supplement, I don't see any reason to use one that has Omega 6.

Omega 6 causes inflammation - which is required for healing from wounds, but not anywhere near the level we get from most diets.

Thanks for the support and your insight on the Omega-6's! What do you recommend for something I can supplement into smoothies for a shot of healthy fat instead of the Udo's oil? I want to get my nutrition as much as possible from proper meals, however in the morning I love making a smoothie because it's quick and easy to eat on the go and just fits into my lifestyle well and is realistic for me.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend for something I can supplement into smoothies for a shot of healthy fat instead of the Udo's oil?

Coconut oil...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Thanks for the support and your insight on the Omega-6's! What do you recommend for something I can supplement into smoothies for a shot of healthy fat instead of the Udo's oil? I want to get my nutrition as much as possible from proper meals, however in the morning I love making a smoothie because it's quick and easy to eat on the go and just fits into my lifestyle well and is realistic for me.

MCT oil is good. (MCT = Medium Chain Triglyceride) It comes from coconut oil usually, although you may find some that are from palm oil. I do believe there is a good amount of info about MCT in the launch pad, so I won't blather on about it here.

If you want to improve Omega 3 intake, which is probably a good idea, the research seems to be mixed regarding supplements. Personally I do take a fish oil supplement. However, the research is strong behind getting Omega 3 from natural sources. In addition to fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, etc.), grass fed beef, and free range chickens also have it as well. The grain in the diets of commercial beef and chickens is what changes the fatty acid profile of the meat. You do not need to worry about getting too much Omega 3.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options

MCT oil
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I would add to the above...you do not need to worry about too much omega 3 unless you are on an anticoagulant or have blood co-agulation problems. I don't know this to be absolute fact. It is just something I have read in several sources.

ETA: Awesome @Seajolly, you feeling so great and feeling Better! Low carb and/or keto are pretty "powerful" in my way of thinking. And yes, I think there are many low carbers here who eat a bit of fruit now and then or as an integral part of their diet. I recently switched from "keto" < 20 grams of carbs to about 50 grams. I like it so far because it really does provide more opportunity for variety. It allows changes like having both Greek yogurt with fresh berries and a nice salad in the same day. I've still not ventured into fruits too much except berries. I planted a pineapple plant this year. The pineapple is about 3-4 inches so far. I hope it continues to grow and is tasty. LOL. We'll see.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Welcome! If you're feeling good while still eating fruit then I would say you should continue to eat fruit. And I agree with the others who mentioned coconut oil or MCT oil for added fat.

Be sure to check out the launchpad and read up on electrolytes and, most importantly have fun!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

MCT oil is good. (MCT = Medium Chain Triglyceride) It comes from coconut oil usually, although you may find some that are from palm oil. I do believe there is a good amount of info about MCT in the launch pad, so I won't blather on about it here.

If you want to improve Omega 3 intake, which is probably a good idea, the research seems to be mixed regarding supplements. Personally I do take a fish oil supplement. However, the research is strong behind getting Omega 3 from natural sources. In addition to fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, etc.), grass fed beef, and free range chickens also have it as well. The grain in the diets of commercial beef and chickens is what changes the fatty acid profile of the meat. You do not need to worry about getting too much Omega 3.

@Seajolly - Also, be sure and read all food labels like a hawk looking for dinner - lots of hidden sugars and starches in things that weren't born that way. Like most commercial meats, a many types of cheese, condiments, etc.

Unless you're trying to stave off hunger pangs, you may not need to add fat in weight-loss mode, as you want your SER* to serve that purpose.

The ketogains calculator is pretty useful in figuring out macros.

https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/
    ____
    *Strategic Energy Reserve