Grilling

Options
Does anyone have any great recipes for grilling lean proteins ... any go-to sites for grilling recipes?

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Although his site is more centered on southern BBQ, there is a LOT of great info on here, including on grilling - this is the real deal.
    http://www.amazingribs.com

As far as recipes go - I usually do full fat on my grill, however I do have one goto for Sirloin (you'll need to compute the nutrition based on the weight though)

Medium rare southwestern style sirloin (you can cook it more if you want.. but being so lean, it gets tough and dry really quick after medium rare):

Always use 1.25 to 1.5" thick sirloin steak - this is the Goldilocks zone of the sirloin when grilling on a home grill... makes hitting medium rare a breeze.

80 minutes before serving time:

Remove steak from fridge and season:

Add in order to each side:
    Salt (I use a fine grain salt and give a very light dusting, typically about 1/4 tsp)
    Fresh ground Black pepper, medium grind.... generally about 50% coverage - you can still see some steak through the pepper.
    Garlic powder (I really like the one they sell at Costco for steaks) - cover it to about 90% coverage.. you want a nice layer, and you should pretty much not see much steak/pepper showing.

Let steak come up to room temperature for ~1 hour.

Prepare grill - charcoal or gas.. whatever works for you... but get that grill HOT!

Bonus points if you throw some mesquite chips on at the last moment... But no more than a small handfull - mesquite can overpower just about anything if used in excess.

After grill is extra hot, put steak directly on the grates and leave it there.. don't close the lid.
    Leave it until you see the hemoglobin (juice) starting to bead on the top of the steak.. when the beads get about the size of a pea (typically about 7 minutes depending on thickness of the steak and how hot your grill is... but watch it...), flip the steak. Leave on the grill for about 5 more minutes and remove.

Let rest for ~3 minutes.. more if that's your thing, personally I like having a little juice on the plate.

Slice steak across the grain in 1/4" thick slices, and serve.

• RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY going to try that one - thank you!

bwmalone wrote: »
    Although his site is more centered on southern BBQ, there is a LOT of great info on here, including on grilling - this is the real deal.

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Sure thing - will try to adapt one of my chicken recipes for breast and post it...

I find that grilling breast is quite a bit harder than legs/thighs, because the extra fat keeps things from drying out, gives a lot more room for error. Brining helps a lot with this, but then we're adding a bunch of extra salt to the mix... not always the healthiest decision.

... but I have an idea I want to try. It involves Chinese style cooking, and might be just crazy enough to work.

(Grilling and BBQ are one of my more serious hobbies)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I guess it's time to prep the grill and smoker for the season. Sorry no recipes. I either brine, marinate or season to taste and grill. Looks like @bwmalone has this down to a science.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @loulamb7 I don't know about down to a science.. just about every time I think I have it figured out, I learn something new. :smiley:
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Chicken breasts wrapped in two slices of bacon (skewered with dry spaghetti). Charcoal, medium indirect heat, covered. Five minutes on a side, turn each side to the fire twice. Bacon should be brown and crunchy. Move to higher heat as needed. Can also do a bunch of bacon wrapped hotdogs the same way at the same time.

(Interesting fact. Does not work as well on gas grills... at all.) :o
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i live that web site. The last meal ribs is awesome
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible grill cook. Frozen or thawed is my question?
  • d_thomas02
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Beef can start either way. Frozen will get you a more rare interior.

Other meats; pork, chicken, burger of all types, should be cooked thoroughly so start thawed.
  • RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

Other meats; pork, chicken, burger of all types, should be cooked thoroughly so start thawed.

I have never tried grilling from partially frozen, but I like the idea with a good steak, keep the middle nice and medium-rare! I think it would work well with a freshly ground (beef) burger as well...
  • d_thomas02
    edited March 2018
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

I have never tried grilling from partially frozen, but I like the idea with a good steak, keep the middle nice and medium-rare! I think it would work well with a freshly ground (beef) burger as well...

It does work well with ground beef (back in my teenage days I use to take burger out of the frig and slap it into a pan to both sear the outside and remove the frig chill from the inside before eating it basically raw), but the practice of eating undercooked burger is frowned on by the health community as grinding the meat increases the chance of bacterial contamination.