New here

Options
torsaer
torsaer Posts: 211 Member
I have been lurking for a while, but have never really taken the low carb 'plunge' properly. Now is the time! My weight has crept up to 60.5kg, despite lots of exercise (running in particular) and as a 159cm tall woman of 51 I would like it to be nearer 55kg. Carbs and sugar have definitely been my downfall. So today is my start on the new way of eating. I'm having some bulletproof coffee for breakfast and then will have eggs and avocado for lunch. Can I ask what you all think about intermittent fasting? Is it important to keep food to a 'window' during the day i.e. should I not start eating until later in the morning as I've read on some keto websites? Sorry I have lots of questions! Thank you for being here.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is good, if your aim is to lose weight (which is mine) but as one very wise person on this forum advised me, don't mistake skipping meals with fasting.
    I take a BPC (BulletProof Coffee) in the mornings and then I don't eat until three pm, when I have a protein/fat snack to tide me over until my evening meal.
    Yesterday evening we had a steak, a chicken thigh/drumstick portion, and a green salad garnished with pecan nut halves, blue vein cheese and mixed with home made dressing. Today, I'm down half a pound.

Progress for me is sporadic. I reach even levels where my weight goes neither up nor down and stays that way for a good while. And that's ok. It differs from person to person, but is far from uncommon.

The most important thing is to stick with it, and relax. As a kind friend on here asked me, what's the hurry?

better to be healthy, conscious of intake and steady, than to be stressing and fretting.

Your body is by far a better indicator of loss to lean, than scales are.

I thought I was stuck at a particular weight, but then I realised that, although the scales hadn't budged, I could grip my wrists and meet thumb to middle finger, whereas a couple of days' previously - I couldn't.... And the new (UK) size 10 jeans I bought for myself proudly, which fitted so well, are now loose.

Welcome.
    I know you'll find lots of useful stuff here. And the people are so supportive it's unreal..... :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Going LC frequently results in going longer periods of time without hunger. I can count on one hand the number of times I have eaten breakfast in 2017. If I'm hungry, I eat.

It is important to listen to your body. I came from a place of eating 5-7 MEALS per day. I am not kidding when I say meals in that each was AT LEAST 600 calories. I was ALWAYS hungry. As I cut carbs lower and lower, I noticed I was no hungry all the time, and more importantly, not hangry.

That is when I had to stop eating out of habit and start listening to my body. I still have some trouble overeating and ending up overfull. I did better as I was losing by logging all my food. Now that I am in maintenance, I am working on learning how much and when to eat by listening to my body. At 46, I don't want to be dependent on logging all my food for the rest of my life.

In terms of IF, what I would suggest is first get the "what" you eat correct. Then, listen to your body in terms of "when" you eat. IF can be a good tool. It is great for some. It is not so great for others.

If on your journey, you stall out for several weeks, and you have not done it, you can try to more intentionally use it as a tool.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm learning to eat when I'm hungry. And not just, "eh, I could eat something," but stomach rumbly hungry. It's so crazy for me because before I went low carb on March 8th, I was always thinking about the next meal, and I'd get panicky if I started getting HUNGRY. Now it makes me laugh and feel happy when my stomach rumbles. I don't know why, maybe I just feel in control now? That being said, I definitely do best if I don't eat for several hours upon waking.
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your replies and welcome! I am so glad to have found you all and will let you know of progress.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Welcome!