How can dieticians not know this?

Options
rhbrand
rhbrand Posts: 11 Member
So I went to a dietician a couple weeks ago. Had body fat tested, my metabolism tested, and got some tips on making better food choices, eating healthier foods etc. I don't tend to have the most healthy diet lol.

Anyway, she wanted me to eat BELOW my BRM. Um, what? Below my BMR? I questioned her, but her answer was well "broscience" and I just decided to nod my head and then do my own thing. I didn't want to spend a bunch of time arguing with her about it cause I really didn't think it would do any good.

But how about her other clients that are now eating below their BMR. Mine was high, but I'm sure a lot of people's is a lot lower, meaning they might be eating less than 1500 cals a day. I mean I got some of the hints I wanted and got the testing I really wanted.

I wish more people, esp women, would figure out that eating so few calories is not a good thing. That eating more, even if its only 2000 cals a day is so much better for you. I feel better, my workouts have been better. And to be honest, eating more calories has NOT lead to weight gain. I lost 2lbs, then put them back on, but that's it.

Mini rant over.

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's a really good question. Dieticians are supposed to be the allied health professionals working along side other medical professionals for the greater good of the client and of the general population.
    Yet often their advice plays straight into the hands of the diet industry where so many people (myself included) spin their wheels for years and years, getting heavier, and unhealthier all the time.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The latest research that Kiki brings to us and makes available is about 10-15 years ahead of the general healthcare system.
    Shocking. They will catch up, eventually.
    Like the thinking on BMI is changing, slowly.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My Doc says its take 15-20 years for new stuff to go through the system and get widely accepted.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Even more scary - was she actually talking about TDEE but calling it BMR.

I've seen that when a metabolic test result was given to a nutritionist (not dietician) - and the results happened to use some very unusual term for both the RMR and the estimated TDEE (where the person wasn't honest with their intended level of activity so it read as sedentary).

First - they shouldn't have trusted the the people running the machine actually got into the daily activity level to a good amount of detail.

Second - they should have been able to discern that the low figure was the RMR, and did their own analysis off that.

Third - they should know that while the RMR may be tested now - the TDEE is still estimated from it, and if based on a suppressed RMR - well, not helping basically.

Or as mentioned before - her schooling was using outdated info already, and she didn't keep up.

Same reason you don't ask a Dr about it unless it's been their pet project since school.
  • rhbrand
    rhbrand Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No, I'm sure she only tested BMR. Cause it was after she gave me my number did she ask about my workouts, and how active I was and then gave me the calorie number to eat that was below my BMR.

I just think while she was very knowledgeable on the nutrition aspect, she's behind the times, or is just a slave to eating next to no foods.

All I know, I'm happier eating more, my workouts are kicking *kitten*, and I'm actually slowly losing weight when I keep my macros under check. So to heck with her numbers.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I would assume that she is giving advice based on people's expectation that they lose weight quickly. People are impatient and want to see results right now.

ETA: People are also notoriously terrible at estimating how many calories they are actually consuming. If you need 2200 to maintain and you are told to eat 1400, the average person will probably actually eat 1800 (while thinking they are at 1400).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's very excellent points.

She may know from experience that unless her guidance gives fast results - she won't get paid for services anymore.

And taking into account the normal average sloppy logging that occurs.

She could probably be informed that your attitude is different, and you are accurate on logging.
    Be interesting if it changes her outlook - or if her recommendations are based on those things but she doesn't remember anymore by she was taught that way.