Unicorn butter

Options
Alaplum
Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
I've looked all over trying to find Kerry Gold butter and it appears to not be available in Alberta. Has anyone heard differently?

Does it matter that much? If I can't get it, should I just use regular or cultured unsalted butter?

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    If you can't get it, just us regular salted butter. The difference between the two end products is minimal at best unless you really have money to burn.
  • Alaplum
    Options
    Sounds good, and I don't have money to burn :p
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

No one I know has money to burn either! ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm in Calgary and I've never seen it. Once in a while, when its on sale, I buy salted country churned butter, but otherwise we just use the salted no-name brand butter.
    2t9nty wrote: »

Burn fat and not money.

:D
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Maybe try opting for a grass fed brand that's local? Or else there's also some European style butter brands that are just as good. Sometimes farmers markets may have small local grass fed cow's milk products, too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Any real butter is perfectly fine.
  • Alaplum
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Canadian! I'm in Manitoba and I can't get Kerrygold here either. When we are south of the border in the USA, we pick some up to take home, but I find the price to be double that of regular salted butter. I use it to melt on top of eggs or meat, but mostly use butter from home for everyday use. I can find organic butter here, but it's too expensive for me. I use my limited supply of Kerrygold as an occasional treat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @Kitnthecat Is there an actual taste difference between Kerrygold and other salted butters?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I bought Kerrygold once to see what all the hoopla is about. I get the whole bit about being from grass fed cows but when it comes to taste, it tastes like Land of Lakes to me. 1/2 pound of Kerry gold was $4.99. That is the average price for 1 pound of Land of Lakes butter which is often buy one get one free locally so $2.49 per pound. I'll stick with Land of Lakes and most generics are pretty decent too. To me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I don't remember if I've seen Kerrygold round these parts.... I have seen Lactancia European style cultured butter. Never tried it though. Too much money for cow grease lol.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo , I find the Kerrygold to be brighter yellow in colour, with a fuller taste, maybe a bit saltier than average Canadian butter. I like it in my BPC, adds a nicer flavour.

I buy a wide range of butters from many different places. We use butter a lot here. There is nothing wrong with the butter we can get here. I like a local brand from a local dairy as well, and I do buy Lactancia when it is on sale, but think my favourite all purpose one is Beatrice at Costco at under $4 per pound.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Grass fed butter (butter made from the milk of grass fed cows) is higher in nutrients like Omega-3 fatty acids and CLAs. If you can't fit it in your budget, then regular butter certainly won't harm you. But if you can get it, it does have its benefits.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Remember, too, that you should buy all your butter UNSALTED and add your own salt. Salted butter is actually slightly lower in quality than unsalted butter. They can use the salt to cover any flaws. And yes, this is even within butters like Kerrygold. I've done some research on it, but don't have any articles saved on hand. I can't remember if it is actually the milkfat percentage or something else, but it is slight lower in quality of something...

And I've been told that cultured butter has a better flavor, if you can get it for the same price.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Okay, so in searching for links to my previous research, it seems that the main issue is in the lack of quality in the salt...which was not what my previous research indicated. But I did not know that there could be such variation in the percentage of milk fat in the butter or that some companies use chemicals to extract the whey/liquid and such. UGH.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass-fed-butter/

Fascinating read! https://books.google.com/books?id=1BQ8AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA7-PA6&lpg#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'll smuggle in Kerygold for anyone willing to smuggle out Kinder eggs *cough*
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I bring Kinder eggs in all the time, with no issues...the airlines don't care. :wink:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Grass fed butter (butter made from the milk of grass fed cows) is higher in nutrients like Omega-3 fatty acids and CLAs. If you can't fit it in your budget, then regular butter certainly won't harm you. But if you can get it, it does have its benefits.

This is the reason for getting butter from grass fed cows if possible. I find the taste near equal, however lower Omega 6 content and higher Omega 3 content makes it worthwhile for me.

I do not have money to burn by any stretch, but what I have noticed is by changing to this WOE, the volume of food I eat has diminished significantly which means spending an amount that looks like more isn't because I eat less. In the end, even with improving the quality of the food I eat, my monthly food spending has decreased.

This is even more the case right now as I am doing the meativore May challenge. I simply can't eat as much, so the fact I spend more on something doesn't matter because it lasts longer.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Another option is to make your own, if you have a cream source that you like. It only takes a few minutes in a food processor and we've been super happy with the results! You'll end up with a very nice butter along with some traditional buttermilk to use for other things.

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/homemade-butter/

When we don't feel like making it, we try to find the big rolls of Amish butter. It's about $10 per roll around here but the damn thing lasts forever and tastes very good.