Boredom Eating .... help

Options
ljstewart0825
ljstewart0825 Posts: 19 Member
The past couple days I seem to want to eat all the time. I know it's out of boredom. It's the weekend, too cold to go out and today I've had a migraine. How do you keep from wanting to eat all time?

Replies

• Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to keep water readily available. I find when I'm drinking water consistently then in less likely to eat because I'm bored. But I'll also keep gum or mints on hand
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle for me as well. I do try and keep below my calories limit. Working to stay under my calories does help to keep me from eating mindlessly in the evenings after dinner (my danger time for eating out of boredom or habit).
  • ljstewart0825
    ljstewart0825 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's my hardest time normally too but this last weekend has just been really hard cause I spent a lot of time inside due to the cold. I got out more today which helped.
  • kotchangingme
    kotchangingme Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling not to over eat because of emotions. What I am trying now is to get up and do something around the house. Seems to help a bit. But other times, I still "need" to eat (generally due to stress) and I try not to beat myself up over it.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm not keeping under my calorie goals these days, i seem always around a hundred cals over. An infection, stress from moving and very damp cold weather seem to have all gotten the best of me. I know if I keep tracking cals and stay honest this will pass.
  • danainnc
    danainnc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Play video games! It keeps your hands busy while it keeps you entertained.
  • IonaEllen123
    IonaEllen123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not a massive fan of gum however I buy the strongest flavour (it basically burns your mouth lol) and I have packets stashed around my house, bags, cars etc basically a reminder to tell me food isn't a must. Then your mouth is to strong to have food afterwards (hopefully). I also have -
    An addictive app game to keep me occupied.
    An online free study course
    Gardening
    Cleaning
  • 2busy4health
    2busy4health Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with having water nearby at all times! Even a hot drink like a tea or coffee as well because they take longer to drink.

How about looking up recipes? That way your mind is still thinking about food but without eating it. It can help keep you (and your hands) occupied and lead through to making lists and eventually to going out shopping. It can also get you excited about all the healthy food you're going to eat and help reinforce that you want to eat well.

...But don't go shopping when you're hungry or it could lead to disaster hahah :D
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In the grips presently. The trigger is emotions of loss. I feel like I'm fighting valiently, using the tools in the toolbox, but still too emotionally scattered to make weightloss a priority.
    I have found that the only time weightloss works for me is when I am free to totally focus. Ive regained about 20 pounds and just cant make headway on getting rid if it.
    Am not feeling interested in my life, and that is making me less active as well. its been a couple months, which really isnt that long to get over a pretty major loss, but I wish I didnt gain weight over it, or could just get going again. Feel lonely alot, even though I am trying to do a few social things a week...its just not enough to get me through.
    Venting, trying to make sense of it, want to hold the line on gaining any more weight, most of all. I already am a size too big for my summer clothes. Drat.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For me, other emotions are harder to fight, but boredom-eating I can satisfy with peppermint Altoids. They are very low in calories, and offer a great deal of flavor plus the minty-cool sensation. If you do not care for peppermint, perhaps you would be interested in one of their other flavors.

Another strategy I find useful is mindfully making and drinking tea. I have a variety of herbal and fruit teas on hand, so I can chose either for any healing quality I might want or by flavor.

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Another day, not too bad, not on target...either in cals or carbs. No real binge, but still more than I planned and not the right food choices.
    Spent the day thinking about what my whys are for doing this. Still messed up.
    Nothing major to say, just discouraged and venting. Feeling kind of bad actually, prolly go to bed soon and give it another whirl tomorrow.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Spend some time sorting out ie by writing things down perhaps, what it is you want to eat and why. Challenge yourself. If you are physically hungry have something to eat.I often chew on a carrot if I'm unsure about what it is I want. Slowing the process down is what I have practised. Trying to get some real thought into what I am doing. Delay eating, try doing something with your hands, ring a friend and tell them about what's going on. If you do eat, let the guilt go and try to halt there. These skills will improve if you practise.
    I remember approaching the fridge one time and the thought popped into my head "It won't be enough". I was astonished because I had even decided what I might eat. I knew this was a compulsive comfort behaviour right there. If you practise delaying gratification, like a muscle it will get stronger.
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle, especially after going from a very active job to a desk job. I've found a good way to combat the boredom eating is to eat things that are low in calories. I'll take baby carrots and cut them in half so it feels like a lot more food than it is. Or celery or anything else that I can nibble on. I've found the eating mints does NOT help me because in my mind it's just something to chew and I end up eating a whole bag in a sitting.