Loss and eating

Options
inkdm0m
inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
I recently had 2 very significant losses in my life the last few weeks and have had my first gain in 2 years...I've gained 10 lbs over the last few weeks.
Anyone else? Words of wisdom? Absolve me of my sins? Lol..

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Its human to eat for comfort, who doesn't need comforting when there is loss. Please be good to yourself at this time.

These are the right words for you at a time of loss. Please take care of yourself and stay strong.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If the eating is distressing you try to focus on other actions that might sooth you. Time with friends and family, a long warm bubble bath perhaps, be kind to yourself.
  • inkdm0m
    inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You are all so amazingly comforting, I appreciate your kind words. I'm going to try to refocus myself and channel my feelings into some projects or some self care.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    It is a well-used tactic for me, though illogical. Sorry for your suffering.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Grieving is hard work. Be gentle with yourself.

You may wish to try mindful eating exercises, where you stop before beginning to eat something to ask yourself how your body feels, and repeat the question in the middle of eating, and at the end. There are other mindful eating exercises that may help focus on providing care for yourself (let me know if you want help finding some). One good thing about mindful or intuitive eating is that there is no moral weight to one's food choices. There are no "good" foods or "bad" foods. A brownie is not naughty; spinach is not virtuous. That is not to say you should take no account of nutrition, but that foods hold value by meeting your needs not by effecting your vice or virtue.

• sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had two significant losses earlier this year too. It's been a process for me and only four months later have I had felt some return to normality.

I found several articles on this website useful: http://psychcentral.com/resources/Grief_and_Loss/
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I had a painful loss three months ago. I've gained back weight I'd lost, and have not been able to put together more than one or two successful eating days. My pain level is still wrenching my gut, but at least I feel some tiny forward motion occurring amidst many fallbacks.
    I'm just going to keep going til I get through it. Hopefully, mitigate the damage by not giving up, and not beating myself up over the time it's taking. Nothing else to do.