5/3 Wednesday Day 3 SLBC

Options
2»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    You have some great plans! Lots of variation in them which is good. You are making a plan that works for you.
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My plan during the week at work is to stand, stretch and move for 1 minute every 1/2 hour to an hour. On the weekends I will move during the commercials and do one task each day, whether it's folding laundry or cleaning off the table.
    This Sunday, I am walking in the MS Walk ,without my walker, for the first time in years, so I'll be getting a lot of movement that day.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Since the commencementcof this challenge I have upped my steps from 7500 to between 11 & 12000.
    Today I had a 1hr.17min bike ride which included some challenging hills. But I do ride sitting down!!!! I use a recumbent bike (3 wheels) as I have had too many falls and at my age (68) I still wanted to bike ride but with less risk of falling. A recumbent is not easy as you dont have the downward thrust on the pedals as you do on a 2 wheeler so effort for momentum is required.
    Dont know if riding a recumbent bike cancels out the cycling benefit as far as the challenge goes
  • jdelgado3013
    jdelgado3013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I accompanied my wife to her medical appointment yesterday. The doctor insisted that I sit down when I entered her office. I shared with her that "Sitting is the next Smoking." I shared with her my goals and she smiled. I stayed standing up during the appointment...next to an empty chair. YEAH !
    I plan to attend a Zumba class soon.
  • jdelgado3013
    jdelgado3013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My short term goal is to sit 60 minutes less a day.
    James
  • themedalist
    Options
    I accompanied my wife to her medical appointment yesterday. The doctor insisted that I sit down when I entered her office. I shared with her that "Sitting is the next Smoking." I shared with her my goals and she smiled. I stayed standing up during the appointment...next to an empty chair. YEAH !
    I plan to attend a Zumba class soon.

James, I LOVE this!!
  • themedalist
    edited May 2017
    Options
    12dream wrote: »
    Since the commencementcof this challenge I have upped my steps from 7500 to between 11 & 12000.
    Today I had a 1hr.17min bike ride which included some challenging hills. But I do ride sitting down!!!! I use a recumbent bike (3 wheels) as I have had too many falls and at my age (68) I still wanted to bike ride but with less risk of falling. A recumbent is not easy as you dont have the downward thrust on the pedals as you do on a 2 wheeler so effort for momentum is required.
    Dont know if riding a recumbent bike cancels out the cycling benefit as far as the challenge goes

@12dream A recumbent bike is a terrific option! Don't give it a second thought.... it is not at all sitting. When you are biking you are moving your legs constantly. You are not still. Biking is a great exercise, activity, and a lot of fun. Enjoy that recumbent bike!

And you're in good company:

zmuzhb2ajm5l.jpg

• magslante
    magslante Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin for Christmas, and have been using it to track my steps. But now, I will use the alerts, so when I get the first warning that I have been sitting too long, I will get up and move to remove the warning.

To increase my overall daily steps, I have also implemented the following into my work day (which is when I find I am sitting the most):
    1. Parking my car at the back of my work car park, and walking through the doors furthest from my office (been doing this for about 4 months now).
    2. Using the bathroom that is the furthest away from my office (and down one flight of stairs) (been doing this for about 2 months now).

I really can identify with the 'make one small change' theory. I have taken my time in implementing small changes into my day, and I am finding they are much easier to sustain if I just focus on one small change for a few months and make that a habit, before implementing another.