Keto and BO??

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
Does anyone else notice they have BO now that they are keto?
i have never had to use deoderant in my life, but that has changed.
Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? lol

Replies

• EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My breath is putred to me. But no on the body Oder (that I can smell).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Mine seems to get pretty bad during workouts (judging from the smell of my clothes after the workout).

The reasoning that I have heard is that your body is disposing of the excess ketones (ones not used for energy by the body) and will continue to do so until you are fully fat adapted and the majority of the ketones will be used for energy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If it is this ^^, burned fats, or released toxins, just use witch hazel to wipe down the skin...it generally solved that issue for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I am actually less stinky. I stopped using typical deodorant/antiperspirant in favor of natural ones that just deter bacteria.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I am actually less stinky. I stopped using typical deodorant/antiperspirant in favor of natural ones that just deter bacteria.

Me too! In fact, the other day I totally forgot my deodorant, and someone at work said, "Ooh, you smell nice, what perfume are you wearing?" (I wasn't. Maybe it was my washing liquid, but as for me, I was 'totes naturelle'....)

So yeah, no detectable offensiveness, here....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Me too! In fact, the other day I totally forgot my deodorant, and someone at work said, "Ooh, you smell nice, what perfume are you wearing?" (I wasn't. Maybe it was my washing liquid, but as for me, I was 'totes naturelle'....)

So yeah, no detectable offensiveness, here....

Omg! I just bought this soap from Thrive Market that's Lemongrass, Orange and Tea Tree Oil. It smells so good! I freakin washed my hair with it just so I could smell it better!
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bad breath hit me first, but B.O. followed. I've been LCHF for close to one year and my wife no longer mentions my breath, but she still mentions my B.O. Luckily for me, she likes it. It's nowhere near as bad as it was in the beginning. It smelled like skunk at first, but it's calmed down. The odor has always been only when I was I sweating, but it does stay on my clothes.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    AshStout83 wrote: »
    Bad breath hit me first, but B.O. followed. I've been LCHF for close to one year and my wife no longer mentions my breath, but she still mentions my B.O. Luckily for me, she likes it.

OMG! Keto Hall of Fame!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Bad breath hit me first, but B.O. followed. I've been LCHF for close to one year and my wife no longer mentions my breath, but she still mentions my B.O. Luckily for me, she likes it. It's nowhere near as bad as it was in the beginning. It smelled like skunk at first, but it's calmed down. The odor has always been only when I was I sweating, but it does stay on my clothes.

My breath smells of skunk. And my grandmother loves to tell me this!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

Do you drink apple cider vinegar? A couple of tbs. in 12 oz of water, it kills the bacteria in your mouth. Also probiotics can help, it often comes up from your intestines, if they are not healthy bad breath can happen.

Luckily I have not had this issue but my sister who is not even low carb had it ongoing for a long time. ACV and probiotics finally took care of it.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water. I had this problem in the first few weeks but it went away with time + staying hydrated.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

Do you drink apple cider vinegar? A couple of tbs. in 12 oz of water, it kills the bacteria in your mouth. Also probiotics can help, it often comes up from your intestines, if they are not healthy bad breath can happen.

Luckily I have not had this issue but my sister who is not even low carb had it ongoing for a long time. ACV and probiotics finally took care of it.

Thx! I'll try it!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh. No wonder I don't have any BO issues, or bad breath. I make and drink my own ACV like it's going out of fashion... that and Kombucha.

And sauerkraut.
    And kimchi.

I honestly think I could live on that stuff......
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Oh. No wonder I don't have any BO issues, or bad breath. I make and drink my own ACV like it's going out of fashion... that and Kombucha.

And sauerkraut.
    And kimchi.

I honestly think I could live on that stuff......

Uh-oh, I missed amsomething somewhere.... Which of the above is actually the deodorant?
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've never had ketobreath, or any significant changes to smell.

Is it actually BO, or are you smelling more like amonia?
    If it's the latter, it could be that your protein intake is a bit too high.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I smell. It's redolent of cat spray. I actually appreciate my animal odor,makes me feel...primal or something. :D
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Plus you attract friendly kitties @SuperCarLori, what's not to like, lol.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Actually, my body odor has dropped on keto in general. Breath... eh, worse... but nothing gargling in mouthwash, brushing teeth and tongue, and chewing gum doesn't fix.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have breath spray in every room in the house, my purse and my car. I have rigorous mouth hygiene and my breath smells putrid. Not like amonia or acetone. More like crap. What's up with that?
    Anyone know? I might have to be a hermit for awhile.