Gerd/ Acid Reflux

Options
Kimcam07
Kimcam07 Posts: 12 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
What has been everyone's experience ( if any) with GERD/ Acid reflux after VSG? I'm still months out from getting the surgery so I'm doing my research to make an informed decision. It seems like many VSG patients develop GERD after the surgery.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Just giving you my experience! I have had GERD since I was a young adult. I had VSG at the age of 43. Within 3 months I was vomiting bile at random times. It was no fun! At age 48 I was converted to RNY to attempt to fix this problem,and haven't had any reflux of bile since then. I do still have heartburn though. I'm figuring I will always have this problem. Remember, this was MY experience.

Best of luck with your decision!

• Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I currently have a hiatal hernia, and GERD, discussed this with my surgeon and opted for the RNY because of the possibility of worsening heartburn/GERD after VSG, and insurance would most likely not pay for the second surgery. I don't need worse GERD. He did say, that when he fixes the HH next week, and does the RNY, I wont have GERD anymore... hoping this is the case!! :D
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I had reflux for over a decade before surgery. I was on Aciphex for over a year it had gotten so bad. I had VSG on 10/15/15. My surgeon requires all his VSG patients to take Pepcid for the first 30 days after surgery.

About 45 days after surgery I noticed the bile building and called him. He recommended going on OTC Pepcid. I opted for omeprazole as I had a stash from a friend. I took it for about six months.

I ran out and neglected to buy more. Had a really fatty dinner one night, way too close to bed time, and thought I was going to die. I got in bed, and about an hour later I had bile pouring out my nose and mouth. Had to jump in the shower, it was so bad.

Went out and got more omeprazole the next day. I took it for about two months daily, and then started tapering.

I'm now 19 months post-op. I take it about 3x a week consistently. I got sick a few weeks ago and ended up on meds that were so strong I couldn't take several meds at the same time. Had to take the med first thing in the morning and couldn't take the omeprazole for two hours. Well...I haven't taken it for about two weeks and am now just thinking I need to start again.

I have a large hiatal hernia, I will always have problems with reflux. My surgeon wanted to do RNY because of it, but I had enough information and convinced him of my decision for VSG. He warned me I could always have problems with reflux, a pill a day is something I'm ok with.

Some people are not so lucky and do have to be revised to RNY. That is not the cure-all. I have a friend that was RNY and had such severe acid issues. She ended up having a portion of her intestine removed from ulcerations.

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had very infrequent heartburn pre-surgery - never when I wasn't heavy and usually when I over did it on sugar or had a lot of tomato based food. Maybe one or two days every month or two. My surgeon didn't think that would be a problem. He also fixed a hiatal hernia during my surgery. I haven't had any problems since surgery, but he's had me on a PPI from day 2. I go off them at the 3 month mark. Fingers-crissed it stays good!
  • Kimcam07
    Kimcam07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your input. I'm going back and forth about this procedure. Aside from my weight I'm healthy and I hate the idea of getting the surgery and then getting something like GERD.
  • ppmintpatty
    ppmintpatty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to make sure your surgeon reviews your upper endoscopy films to see if you have a hiatial hernia. My films were marked negative by the radiologist, but when the surgeon viewed the films, he could see it. So he fixed it at the same time that he did my sleeve. He said that with weight loss, healthier eating habits, and following the sleeve rules (waiting 30 minutes, eating slowly, etc), I probably won't have GERD any longer. He did keep me on my Omeprozole but it has been a month since my surgery and so far so good.