Newly diagnosed

Options
whuffman1
whuffman1 Posts: 18 Member
I was newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and no idea what I am facing.

Replies

• 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What is your a1c? Weight? Family history? I was dx over 2 years ago with an a1c of 7.9. I lost 50 lbs over 2 years and started eating low carb and although my BS isn't where I want it, it is back into a pre level. Last a1c was 5.8. From what I have learned is that the old thinking of 40g of carbs a meal every meal, doesn't work. All carbs turn to glucose. Many on here are very strict into low carb high fat and keep there diabetes at bay. It is tougher for some than others. I can't totally give up all carbs but I replaced potatoes with cauliflower and white/wheat flower with almond flower. You can do it. There is a lot of information and support on here and other Web sites. Good luck!!
  • whuffman1
    Options
    230lbs when diagnosed and my
    a1c was 7.7 I am not sure how they arrive at that number. That you for responding its very helpful.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You can view a1c as "average blood glucose" over a 2-4 month period roughly. An a1c of 7.7 would be right around 175 mg/dl average.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I second Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It's a wonderful book. He has many youtube videos floating around too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg

Dr Hallberg knows her stuff too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

I also second testing you BG (blood glucose) a lot. Buy a glucose metre. Test when you wake, before a meal and after a meal. I like to test 30-60 minutes after a meal, and then 90-120 minutes after.

Testing will give you a good idea of how foods affect your BG. Typically, refined carbs (flours=processed), sugar and sugary (tropical) fruit will affect it the most. Starches often raise it a LOT too. Protein will do very little to BG. Fats do not affect BG unless you have eaten a very large amount of food.

Ideally, you want your BG to barely move upwards after a meal. I eat very low carb and my post meal BG numbers are almost the same as before I eat. My highest number of the day tends to be first thing in the morning because my liver has made glucose over night-dawn phenomenon.

Read lots, buy a metre and start limiting or skipping flours and sugars. Your A1c is not super high yet. I bet you can bring it down within a few months. :)

Good luck, and welcome to the group.
  • whuffman1
    Options
    I have to get educated for sure. I am eating healthier but getting destroyed with carbohydrates. Its not easy. Thank you all!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    whuffman1 wrote: »
    I have to get educated for sure. I am eating healthier but getting destroyed with carbohydrates. Its not easy. Thank you all!!

Whoa.

Hard to see a diabetic getting destroyed by carbs as healthier than just about anything. :'(
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    whuffman1 wrote: »

I'm a celiac. I started thinking of carby foods like I do food with gluten - something that will hurt my health and must be avoided. No choice about it. Thinking of it as a medical treatment helped me. YMMV.

Keep testing and keep at it. It takes a month or so to get used to new ways of eating. Just keep at it and it gets easier. :)