Funny

Options
dulcitonia
dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
Has anyone else noticed lots of people are promoting ways of eating that are low in carbs but they are adamant they aren't "low carb"?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    because they are instead paleo or grain-free or sugar-free

I don't care what they call it, but it is weird that it seems to have so many new names
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Maybe it's just the lack of pop in calling something "low-carb" in comparison to alternatives.

A friend of mine, who has just plain always been good at whatever he tries (he even got marriage right the 3rd 'round), is predictably happy to try anything.

Last fall, he entered a cheese-eating contest at a festival. He said it was the only time he ever managed to stay low-carb over the course of a day.

(I told him I wasn't sure eating nothing but Swiss cheese was going to turn out to be LC, but sure enough, he only had 30g of carbs.)

When I asked him what possessed him to enter, he said he'd seen a sign saying, "Eat All the Cheese You Want in 10 Minutes." :s

Somehow, I doubt, "Try an all-dairy, low-carb diet with a time-restricted feeding window" would have grabbed his imagination....
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    PLEASE send link for festival to meeeeeeee!!
    Do I get my choice of cheese? Swiss is OK too!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    PLEASE send link for festival to meeeeeeee!!
    Do I get my choice of cheese? Swiss is OK too!

Haha! Would you be able to chew through Limburger, extra-sharp cheddar, feta, or Roquefort at quite the same clip? ;)

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Well maybe not Limburger, but the others I hoover up pretty good - no problem lol.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Well maybe not Limburger, but the others I hoover up pretty good - no problem lol.

Bwaahahahaa!

I must bow my cheese-stuffed head in awe. :star:
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Most healthy type diets lower carbs considerably. They may not be keto-low, but still. Higher carb foods have a lot of calories which means much smaller portions. I did WW a few years back and even with their newer point systems, you still lower carbs significantly. The point system I used almost required lower carbs in order to eat enough so you weren't miserable. What is funny is when they changed their system to allow higher carbs (aka fruit) I stopped losing with any success. Even if you are only tracking calories without any food group restriction, you're likely going to lower your carbs. The standard overly exaggerated example is you can eat 1200 calories in Twinkies (i think ive had 3 in my life) and lose weight but you likely won't sustain that so you switch to a decent protein and veggies. Also, think about what an actual portion of pasta looks like. For me, when I still ate pasta, I had to bulk it up with low carb veggies to make it filling but still within calorie range. It really wasn't much of a stretch from there to just add pasta sauce to the veggies and skip the pasta altogether.

Edited to correct my stupid smartphone's autocorrect. Dear Samsung or Google or whoever you are FOOD is a word.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did paleo for a while, and it's quite different from low carb from my personal (limited) experience. You can be low carb and paleo and many may be (depending on how you define low carb), but it's not necessary. And of course you can be low carb and not paleo (dairy, some legumes will fit in low carb, even quite low). I guess it depends on what you find specifically beneficial about low carb, though -- is it the reduced carbs and increased fat, is it a side effect of increased protein, is it cutting out "junk food," is it cutting out lots of highly processed things, is it about the strict limits (to hit carb numbers) on grains and sugar? Some of those overlap more with other diets than others.

You can be anti processed and no added sugar and quite high carb -- WFPB, for example. Every time I tried to experiment with anything even slightly like that I ended up way higher carb than I enjoy.

Part of this, too, is what your particular diet looked like before changing it--not everyone is especially high carb so it's possible to change to be "healthy" or "less processed" or whatever (or "cut out the junk") without changing macros much.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I feel like "low carb" has been kinda hijacked by keto. i'm low carb have been a long time now, well long enough 2.5 years with dips of very low carb keto level for a bit then back up. sometimes though I feel like I shouldn't call myself low carb since I eat grains and starchy veggies at times. I've seen enough people scoff at others saying they are low carb when eating those things and say things like "oh that's not low carb" or "I would never put those foods in my diet" "no grains here that stuff is poison" etc. (not here)

so I think some people, speaking for myself, might describe their woe differently as not to be launched in on by some that eat 0 carb or what not. a healthy balanced diet is naturally low carb, I eat rice and veggies sweet potatoes, rye bread etc daily and i'm usually total carb around 100, net closer to 80, somedays lower some a bit higher.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I had that last night! Lol!
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eric Edmeades addresses the "diet" question about as well as anyone I've ever heard. The reason we're all getting on here so swimmingly is because lower carb eating, whichever brand of it to which one subscribes, is really just embracing the human diet. We don't tend to fuss too much over the details knowing that we're all overwhelmingly getting it right.

For the most part, people use the word diet incorrectly.

2:47-6:43 in particular

https://youtu.be/R5Jcxizw6Qk
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think I'm about to be banned from the Italian Site: I have a comment that MIGHT be posted after Moderation.... Tee hee...!

Jeremiah 5:21!

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I think I'm about to be banned from the Italian Site: I have a comment that MIGHT be posted after Moderation.... Tee hee...!

uh oh :lol:
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    It seems that the Carb-fixated members straddle every nationality.... I can walk away from it soon as look at it.

That goes for the Italian Forum as well as a carb-laden dish....
  • RalfLott
    Options

Pearls =/= > swine?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Sums it up!