5/10 Wednesday Day 10 SLBC

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
7ai4n7rrx4ju.jpg

Theme: Walk This Way! (Yes, I do have Aerosmith on my playlist)

Today's Challenge: Ah, walking. Even though we’ve woven walking into several of our daily challenges, walking is such a superb activity that it deserves its own spotlight today. Walking is free, requires no special equipment, can be done almost anywhere, and the health benefits are profound. Today’s challenge is to take at least a 15 or 20 minute walk today. Outdoors, if possible, but indoors works as well. If you don’t walk regularly, how could you make a short walk part of your daily routine?

Enjoy your walk and please tell us about it!

Alternative Challenge: If walking doesn’t work for you, pick an activity that you enjoy and do that.

Replies

• themedalist
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A few of my favorite walking infographics:

v16lbbbueza1.jpg

I shared this image earlier, but it's so stunning I'm reposting:

geacufax166m.jpg

And this:
    jdsvb2v9o716.jpg

• themedalist
    Options
    Featured Walking App!

b8equayimy1q.png

If you walk your dog, now you can walk FOR a dog. Wooftrax's Walk for a Dog app turns your daily walks into donations to your local animal shelter. You don't need to be walking with a dog either in order for your miles to count: any walk, bike, or run as long as it's at least once a week will be tallied towards a donation. Very cool app! Check it out! http://www.wooftrax.com
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How convenient! Today I work from home so I already planned to walk in the forest? woods? (zone with trees anyway) near our home.
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A few of my favorite walking infographics:

v16lbbbueza1.jpg

I shared this image earlier, but it's so stunning I'm reposting:

geacufax166m.jpg

And this:
    jdsvb2v9o716.jpg

May I share the first image? I love that!!!

I did one short (7 min) walk this morning to walk our dog. I did a longer one yesterday and this time instead of putting in my headphones for music, I just listened to nature. It's so soothing. I'm sort of a weirdo...I like walking in the rain too. Yeah I get wet and my hair gets a little crazy, but listening to the sounds of the raindrops is so soothing to me. I'll definitely get out there more later today, rain or shine!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Great challenge on a beautiful day! I'll take my dog for a walk!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @PrincessMom08 and everyone else, YES!!! Please share any images that I post that strike a chord with you. Display them, email them, share them on Facebook or Twitter...whatever works best for you. Thanks!
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love this one! Super easy to do. I'm going to yoga on my lunch break, so an additional 20 minute break might not work, BUT, I'm walking from work to a hair appointment tomorrow (about a mile).

I'm also still doing my one thing, which is drinking tons of water during the day to make extra trips to the bathroom, which means walks around the building adjacent to mine at work. I've been meeting or exceeding my 5500 step goal every day.
  • arkaycee
    arkaycee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll have to make a couple of 10-minute walks count today; there's just no place for 15-20 minute break today (tomorrow, yes, not today).
  • debk0718
    debk0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love this challenge! Thank you for sharing the information about Walk for a Dog. I had not heard of this before. I have a dog, who loves to go for walks. Not only will our walks be good for us, but it'll benefit sheltered animals as well. Your infographics are helpful and motivating. Thank you!
  • themedalist
    Options
    debk0718 wrote: »
    Love this challenge! Thank you for sharing the information about Walk for a Dog. I had not heard of this before. I have a dog, who loves to go for walks. Not only will our walks be good for us, but it'll benefit sheltered animals as well. Your infographics are helpful and motivating. Thank you!

You are most welcome! I've been using the Walk for a Dog app for a couple of years now. My local shelter promotes the app and does receive checks from them so I know it's legitimate and that's why I'm promoting it. The donation level varies according to the number of participants raising money for a particular shelter, but it's generally in the 11 cents to 25 cents per mile range.

I have rescue dogs and I love to walk. Combining two things I care deeply about through an app that helps animal shelters is just magical!
  • themedalist
    Options
    arkaycee wrote: »
    I'll have to make a couple of 10-minute walks count today; there's just no place for 15-20 minute break today (tomorrow, yes, not today).

@arkaycee, great modification to fit your schedule. Any walk of any length is beneficial.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I love this one! Super easy to do. I'm going to yoga on my lunch break, so an additional 20 minute break might not work, BUT, I'm walking from work to a hair appointment tomorrow (about a mile).

I'm also still doing my one thing, which is drinking tons of water during the day to make extra trips to the bathroom, which means walks around the building adjacent to mine at work. I've been meeting or exceeding my 5500 step goal every day.

@LuckyNumbers, sounds like a good plan. Good to hear that your One Thing is working out for you!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    That app is cool, I love dogs but am allergic to pet dander, so I don't have one. I like the idea of helping the sheltered dogs while I am walking.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I will try to walk this evening. Hoping to get in a routine like this daily/weekly now that temperatures are rising.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    great memes - I am going to try and get this in today!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    I had a great walk today with my dad's dog in the town where I grew up. We had two long walks yesterday and another one this morning before I had to make the drive home.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I've really enjoyed hearing about your walks!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Although I live in the city, I try to enjoy nature in my walks. If I'm walking in my neighborhood, I check out what is blooming. The jacarandas are lovely right now. If I walk on the two college campuses where I work, I take the handicap ramps. That is nicer to my knees, adds lots of steps and gives me some interaction with wildlife. One ramp I call the bunny trail. I add steps by parking farther away from the gym adding a 10 minute walk to the beginning and end of my workout. At work, I park in the very farthest parking lot. That adds a 15 minute walk before and after class. :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Although I live in the city, I try to enjoy nature in my walks. If I'm walking in my neighborhood, I check out what is blooming. The jacarandas are lovely right now. If I walk on the two college campuses where I work, I take the handicap ramps. That is nicer to my knees, adds lots of steps and gives me some interaction with wildlife. One ramp I call the bunny trail. I add steps by parking farther away from the gym adding a 10 minute walk to the beginning and end of my workout. At work, I park in the very farthest parking lot. That adds a 15 minute walk before and after class. :)

Your walk sounds lovely. Not only are you adding extra steps, but it's a chance to appreciate the natural environment and be a bit more mindful. We miss out on a lot when we go straight from our cars to our buildings.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I'm new here :) . I'm going to start today then back up and catch up on reading and learning and perhaps some posting where appropriate. I've skimmed some of the challenges over the last several days and have began to be more aware of sitting less, especially time spent on the desktop computer. I can't stand at our compute desk as I would be standing hunched over, so I must learn to travel down fewer rabbit trails while surfing the web :noway:

Yay! a walking challenge!! Walking is my favorite exercise. Today: 3 miles "indoor walking" (Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home DVD walk: Burn Body Fat) and 30 minutes walking outside. I made my outside neighborhood walk moderately easy today as I am just recently getting back into my exercise routine again, and today I finally was able to do a "3 mile" DVD walk.

Thank you for posting the walking infographics. Because I am in my mid 60s I was especially encouraged to read about the positive effects that walking has on the bones, brain, memory, longevity etc. And the brain scan infographic was enlightening.

Thank you for this making this Sit Less group!

:flowerforyou: