Looking for personal experiences on SLEEVE and BYPASS

Options
mari_moulin
mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
Hello everyone, my name is Mari.

I am going to be getting weight loss surgery. I had my first appointment with my surgeon today and we are getting things into gear for WLS. I have to do everything the same for either surgeries so we can get things moving even though I didn't have to decide today which one to have done. I still have time do so some research before my final decision. I have had the Gastric Band before but it failed for me and I am now going to get a second WLS. The thing is after reading all kinds of info online I just want some first hand information and advice. I want to know how it has been for people who have actually had these surgeries done. How you feel about it in general. Are you happy with your surgery? Any regrets? What has been the hardest part for you? Do you recommend the surgery you got?

Replies

• MzJax
    MzJax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve surgery this past Tuesday. It went way better than I expected! The main thing is that you make sure to follow instructions to a T!! I had to do a 3 day liquid diet before surgery. It was super tough! I wanted to quit and say "F it"! I'm so happy I did not. I'm now 3 days post surgery and feeling pretty good!
  • suecoble
    suecoble Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 56 years old. I have been super morbidly obese since I was 6 years old. I tried everything. I would lose a lot of weight, just to gain it back. I started thinking last year that my only hope to help me stick with a diet was to try the only tool I had never used. Weight loss surgery. I picked up the phone and called the Bariatric Clinic. They sent me a packet to fill out and my first appointment was in February. I was 432 pounds. I went through all the protocol to get approved for surgery. I went to nutritionist, physical therapy, psychologist and doctor appointments for 6 months. Was approved at the end of July. I had surgery September 21st for a gastric sleeve. I am now 350 pounds. Let me tell you, it is the BEST thing I ever did. I can only eat a half a cup of food at each meal. Honestly, I am never hungry. I have to remind myself to eat when it is time. I would do it over again in a heart beat. I came out of surgery ready to jump out of bed and start walking. My doctor saw me walking the halls the day after surgery and he looked at me and said, "You are out of here cause you are doing fantastic." It has been 26 days since surgery and I have lost 20 pounds in that time. I am 82 pounds lighter than when I started this journey. As my doctor says, "You only get out of it what you are willing to put into it." He is right.
  • travelher
    travelher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    love my bypass. had the band 11 years ago, lost on that and maintained for 4 yrs until things started going very wrong, and it tortured me for 7 years. had it removed in October and revised to rny, which has been smooth sailing. Very happy with it and i don't get woken up 3 times a night choking on stomach acid the way I used to with the band. Down 63lbs so far
  • tarapeterson76
    tarapeterson76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve surgery done in August 2014 and I had great results from it. I was required to limit my diet to 5 protein shakes a day for 14 days before surgery. I was hard but I knew it would be worth it. The hardest part was immediately after the surgery. I was in more pain than expected and the pain management at the hospital was horrible. Once I got home though, I was feeling better and following doctor's instructions diligently. I went back to work in a week after surgery. I went from a size 16/18 to a size 6/8. This is an amazing feeling. Recently though, due to many different circumstances, I have gained about 25 pounds back. I saw my bariatric doc yesterday and we have a great plan for getting the weight back off. I also meet with the nutritionist in a few weeks. The sleeve surgery was one of the best decisions of my life, as it gave me my self-confidence back.
  • mstephens613
    mstephens613 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat -- though I know this thread is a bit older. I am torn between the sleeve and bypass. Did you decide on which one @mari_moulin ?
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat -- though I know this thread is a bit older. I am torn between the sleeve and bypass. Did you decide on which one @mari_moulin ?

Yes after a year of thinking about it I decided on the bypass. My surgery is now scheduled for June 13th. So you have a surgery date already?
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I chose to go with the bypass. Here are the reasons: 1. I had a hiatal hernia, and gastric reflux prior to surgery, 2. there is a chance with VSG you get reflux, and I didnt need any worse than I already had, 3. If I did go with VSG, and the reflux was worse, insurance would not pay for a revision to RNY bypass.

So, I chose, discussed with surgeon, pros and cons of each, and my personal situation, and we decided RNY was the way to go. Had surgery May 16th, 2017 and am doing great!!