Back on the wagon; Keto + fasting?

Options
ladonmwilliams
ladonmwilliams Posts: 12 Member
Hello all,

I am just getting back on the keto wagon after gaining over 50lbs with my last pregnancy. My little one is now over a year old and I figured it was time to get back to what I know works best for me. I'm keeping it at about 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs. 5 days in and so far so good. None of the typical keto ailments.

This time I am incorporating intermittent fasting. 18 hours fasted, 6 hours to enjoy myself ;) . This is my first try with this. Any word of wisdom or caution? I will gladly take them all.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The typical keto issues are completely avoidable if you supplement sodium at a minimum rate of 3000-5000mg every single day.
  • ladonmwilliams
    ladonmwilliams Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thx, @Sunny_Bunny_ ! I have been doing just that, plus some magnesium and potassium. Didn't get hit with the "flu" at all this time. Did have a relapse this weekend though. So, now I have to start all over :/ Onward and upward.
  • majestic_yogi
    majestic_yogi Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If this is your first time back in to keto or fasting, drop fasting. Once you are keto adapted, fasting might be easier because of less hunger on keto.. Forcing in to fasting may make it harder while your are getting adapted to keto.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @majestic_yogi in that fasting shouldn't be forced, but I disagree that one needs to wait until fat adapted. I began IF years before I tried keto and it's fine. Individual tolerance for the various IF protocols is quite subjective, so if it works for you then keep it up.
    Only cautionary advice I would offer is cued off your phrase "6 hours to enjoy yourself" --- while both IF and keto can offer some possibilities for ad libitum eating, overall food intake is still something to be conscious of. You may have days that feel more hungry or less, and you may find your appetite and satiety signals change over time; just be aware of whether you are getting closer to or farther away from your goals.
  • kfat1
    kfat1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Agree with @kirkor that IF can be done safely at any point in a weight loss journey. Waiting until fat adapted is not necessary. It is a very individual decision.
  • majestic_yogi
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Agreed with @majestic_yogi in that fasting shouldn't be forced, but I disagree that one needs to wait until fat adapted. I began IF years before I tried keto and it's fine. Individual tolerance for the various IF protocols is quite subjective, so if it works for you then keep it up.
    Only cautionary advice I would offer is cued off your phrase "6 hours to enjoy yourself" --- while both IF and keto can offer some possibilities for ad libitum eating, overall food intake is still something to be conscious of. You may have days that feel more hungry or less, and you may find your appetite and satiety signals change over time; just be aware of whether you are getting closer to or farther away from your goals.

I said Keto adapted not fat adapted, big difference. My point was if you are naturally not hungry it's easy to do it for long time. I have seen many who go Keto and IF at same time, do it for a week or two and give up.
  • majestic_yogi
    Options
    kfat1 wrote: »
    Agree with @kirkor that IF can be done safely at any point in a weight loss journey. Waiting until fat adapted is not necessary. It is a very individual decision.

Except I never said fat adapted.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Idk what "keto adapted" is...
  • majestic_yogi
    edited June 2017
    Options

Keto adapted is when you get in to Ketosis, and your body is adapted to use ketones for fueling brain and other organs. Initial 4-6 weeks depending on the person. You measure this with keto urge strips, blood ketone meters..

Fat adapted: Keto is not needed to be fat adapted. There are athletes(especially endurance) who burn fat even at higher intensities though they eat high carb. I see many folks who might be eating keto but switch to carbs for fuel even at HR as low as 90-100. Fat adaption is usually measure by RQ, a test where you are wearing a mask and resting, running or biking at different intensities. Personally, when I started Keto, my body will predominantly use carbs starting at HR of 92. In 3 months that went to 130, in 6 months it was 168. In six months, I was burning fat even at intensities greater than 90% of max HR.

Keto adaption is shorter and mostly diet dependent, fat adaption is more dependent on your training and it takes longer to adapt.

Read Dr Peter Attila's blog, he has many posts about his own experiments and also Art and Science of Low carb Athlete by Dr Phinny and Dr Volek is a good reference.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Keto adapted is when you get in to Ketosis, and your body is adapted to use ketones for fueling brain and other organs. Initial 4-6 weeks depending on the person. You measure this with keto urge strips, blood ketone meters..

Fat adapted: Keto is not needed to be fat adapted. There are athletes(especially endurance) who burn fat even at higher intensities though they eat high carb. I see many folks who might be eating keto but switch to carbs for fuel even at HR as low as 90-100. Fat adaption is usually measure by RQ, a test where you are wearing a mask and resting, running or biking at different intensities. Personally, when I started Keto, my body will predominantly use carbs starting at HR of 92. In 3 months that went to 130, in 6 months it was 168. In six months, I was burning fat even at intensities greater than 90% of max HR.

Keto adaption is shorter and mostly diet dependent, fat adaption is more dependent on your training and it takes longer to adapt.

Read Dr Peter Attila's blog, he has many posts about his own experiments and also Art and Science of Low carb Athlete by Dr Phinny and Dr Volek is a good reference.

I'm fully aware of those references.