Back at it

Options
KickboxDiva
KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
Hi guys- I'm Angela. I'm back the lchf after a brief break. I did it from Jan to April with no weight loss. Took a month off ( ate ok but prob more like south beach) didn't gain thankfully. I'm ready to start back and using keto os this Time. I guess I didn't go low carb enough so I'm working on that. Day 2 and I'm struggling to hit fats, fiber, and stay vlc. Anyone have an open diary I can see? I'm struggling to figure out how to plan my meals. I think I need to pre track and plan ahead daily for a while. I have less to lose, avid weightlifter, but my scale hasn't budged down in over a year! I DONT want to have bathroom issues like I had years ago so vegetables and fiber incorporation is very important to me. Thanks and hi!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What did your food look like from Jan-Apr? After probably 3 weeks of 0 loss I probably would've adjusted my macros ... 4 months seems like a long time to stay static on LCHF, and no weight change in a year seems odd as well.
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you consume?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Friend me and you can see my diary. I will warn you it is not very exciting. It is working for me and I am satisfied with what I am eating, so that is what important.
  • KickboxDiva
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I had previously lost 40lbs but it was Low fat low calorie. Then I started body building and rebuilding my metabolism by slowly eating more I was up to about 2400 calories daily and maintaining but was training pretty hard. Had a family illness plus the stress of that. Quit the trainer. slowly gained 15 lbs over 2 years. I'm back to working out hard 5 days a week. I did low carb and experienced far better energy and less headaches, digestion etc. lost initial 5 lbs and slowly regained it. my carbs were too high. I was following "always hungry" approach which allowed unlimited non-starchy veggies. So I feel great but got discouraged w no weight loss and just ate pretty healthy but quit tracking. No binging or anything. So yesterday I had 2 bulletproof coffee and still didn't hit my fat numbers. so I'm just trying to figure out how everybody gets all those bath and yet still keep your protein and carbs so low?
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    It's also worth noting that I have had my thyroid and hormones checked as I am 45 years old. Everything seems to be OK Weight loss just seems to be a lot harder now. that's why I feel like giving actual keto a shot might be my best option.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I stay under on the carb goal and try to get close to the protein goal. Fat manages hunger.

When I first started last October, I was eating more fats. Now that I am used to this, I don't feel the need really and so I don't. I am still burning the fat to make up the calorie deficit, but it is just coming from the Strategic Energy Reserve and not my plate/cup. I have to be somewhat mindful to meet my protein goal, but that is just me.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, however, I'm not keto but carb cycling at the moment, plus I have food restrictions related to migraines so my food diary is kind of boring.

Are you tracking any metrics besides weight? Measurements? Taking photos? I haven't had the scale move down since January, but my inches are shrinking and my clothes are getting loose, so I call that a win and a loss even though the scale does not agree. I find weight to be a terrible metric of my progress particularly when I am training hard.

Also, in looking at your diary, your protein goal is only 90, which seems low to me for someone who is training hard. If you are doing keto for weight loss and not for some medical issue (like epilepsy) then I don't think you need to eat 100% of your fat - just focus on getting all your protein, and keeping your carbs under goal, and don't worry about the fat. Given that you are always hungry, maybe increase that protein goal to 140 and reduce the fat goal a bit and see if that helps how you feel in the hunger department?
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about hitting fat macros. As @2t9nty stated, limit carbs, hit protein minimum and fat only to satiety. Bulletproof coffee can be great, but most who are trying to lose weight should avoid it, IMO as it is not as satiating as the caloric intake would suggest. Other fat sources are better.

As for bathroom issues, there is research fiber actually causes constipation for some. I know it goes against everything we have heard, but there are other threads here with links to the research. I find making sure I have enough magnesium sufficient to make sure I have have no bathroom issues.

Fiber can also cause insulin to rise. It won't rise as much as it would with a tootsie roll, but if you have enough, it could be enough to make your body want to hold on to your body fat.

As you say you are training hard, you may also want to raise protein more than most here. Phinney and Volek use the numbers of 1.5 - 2 g of protein per kg of ideal body weight. Those on the very low end use as little as 0.8 g per kg of lean body mass. Depending on how hard you are working out, the 2 g per kg of ideal may be a good fit. That is just under 1 g per lb of ideal body weight if you need it in those terms.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    OK thanks guys. This is the lowest protein I've tried to hit in years so perhaps bumping back up would be good. The more you read the more confusing it is. Some say lots of fiber, some say protein causes spikes too. I'm reading of setting fat goals at 60-85% with carbs being under 20 grams. I used to think I was very educated in health and fitness but the more I research the more confused I am to be truthful. The PROGRAM I used was "Always Hungry". I, on the other hand, feel stuffed full of fats! :smiley: I'm beyond cheating and emotional eating now thankfully. I'd comply with any plan to lose but I just feel like I'm not really sure what to do for that last 15 lbs. I've NEVER hit my final weight goal and it is getting harder each year. LCHF works for so many people and I've read the science on insulin resistance, it makes sense. I just want to do it correctly from the beginning.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I understand the confusion. Part of it is we are not all 100% the same. Even the carb amount is variable. An athlete with a good metabolism and good genetics may be able to be keto up to 75 g of carbs. Someone who is highly insulin resistant may have to be at 15 AND limit protein.

Eating higher volume - enough to make your stomach feel stretched - can cause some people to over produce insulin even if they were eating pebbles. The actual stretching of the stomach has a hormonal response.

The idea is to educate yourself on the basics and then make tweaks to find exactly where your body best responds.

One thing I will say is pounds are lost in the kitchen. Ounces are lost in the gym. Exercise has lots of benefits, but it will not really make much difference in weight. It will make a difference in energy, body composition, insulin sensitivity, cardiovascular health, etc., so it is worth doing. Just don't think increasing exercise will have a dramatic impact on weight loss.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I tested today and measuring In ketosis so I'm happy with that at the carb level I'm at. I guess as long as that stick is purple I can keep at it.
  • jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I tested today and measuring In ketosis so I'm happy with that at the carb level I'm at. I guess as long as that stick is purple I can keep at it.

To a point but the longer you do keto the better your body is at using ketones so over time the purple may fade despite being in ketogenesis.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to the public and I am Keto so knock yourself out snooping if you'd like.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    My diary is open to the public and I am Keto so knock yourself out snooping if you'd like.

Great Lakes - Collagen Hydrolysate-- How long have you been taking this and have you noticed an improvement in joint pain, if that's what you are taking it for?

This---> Pumpkin Casserole with Bacon Pecan Streusel.. I think I'm going to have to look up that recipe. sounds pretty divine!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @KickboxDiva...I've been using the Collagen Hydrolysate consistently for probably about a month now. I have 2 servings of it every day...except I usually add the CH to my daily bouillon cubes...it gives is a richer, deeper, yummier flavor. Prior to that, I would add some CH to various recipes that I was making up...but I wasn't doing this consistently.

I don't take the Collagen for joint pain so I can't speak to noticing any improvement there. I take it (1) to help me reach my daily protein goals every day; and (2) to help my body through the process of tightening up all the loose skin I have after successfully eliminating 167 pounds over the course of 22.5 months. In the last couple of weeks, I have seen what I believe to be some small improvements.

I found the recipe on the www.shecallsmehobbit.com website; however, the last couple of times I've checked his website recently, it appears to be under construction (or something...)?? The recipe actually called for sweet potato (it was originally called Sweet Potato Casserole with Bacon Pecan Streusel) which was too high in carbs for me so I subbed in pumpkin for it instead and of course changed the name of recipe (heh):

Pumpkin Casserole with Bacon Pecan Streusel

Serves 12

6 Cups pumpkin
    4 Tablespoons coconut oil or butter (I think I used coconut oil)
    1/2 Cup coconut milk (you could also use Heavy Whipping Cream instead)
    1 ounce sugar free maple syrup
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 pieces bacon OR 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon real bacon bits
    1/2 Cup chopped Pecans
    4 Tablespoons Swerve (or your preferred sugar substitute)

Here are my additional tweaks to the recipe which, in my opinion, fixed it and made it edible (and just fyi, I've had to "fix" a LOT of his recipes):

60 drops liquid sucralose (or to taste)
    60 drops Capella Marshmallow Flavor drops (Please note: these drops ARE NOT sweet!!)
    15 grams Just Like Sugar Brown

For Streusel:

Melt coconut oil. Add Swerve, chopped pecans, and bacon. Stir until combined and grainy. Set aside.

Combine the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour evenly into large, rectangular glass casserole dish.

Sprinkle streusel mixture over top of pumpkin casserole.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees (I might be wrong about this temperature...I don't have the recipe with me at the moment so I can't double check). Cook for 12-15 minutes or until top is bubbly.(For the record, the top of mine never gets bubbly but the way I make it is quite tasty. Enjoy!
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @KickboxDiva butting in to say I've been taking the collagen hydrolysate for years, 2 tbs a day. It's the only thing that helped a painful knee problem when nothing else would. That knee hurt for two years and the pain stopped completely 2 weeks after starting collagen & never returned. I do have a genetic collagen deficiency so I may be a special case but also it's good for your gut, skin, nails, and hair. I won't go without it now. I put it in my morning tea, don't even notice it.