Got any good salmon recipes?

Options
MyriiStorm
MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
I bought a big bag of frozen, wild caught salmon filets at Costco. But I don't know what to do with them. :(

Replies

• dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm boring and prefer mine cooked in lots of dill and butter :yum: served with some cauliflower rice.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    xhgvwxw5kbn8.jpg

So far, this has been my favorite salmon. Wrapped it in bacon with some olive oil and pepper and put it in the oven until the bacon was done. I cooked it with some asparagus. No need for more salt because there is plenty in the bacon.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Salmon can get kinda dry when cooking; unless wrapped in bacon as above, but I prefer to just wrap mine in tinfoil, put butter and whatever herbs you care for, dill is nice, and cook it in the oven. It stays moist and is really tasty.

If there is leftover salmon, you can saute some mushroom, onion and a bit of celery toss in the salmon flaked add cream and you have a really nice salmon chowder. Adding bacon to this or any fish is awesome for flavour.

Leftover salmon with hollandaise sauce is great inside an omelette as well.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm a Sashimi gal, myself.... remove from freezer, allow a fillet to semi-thaw, slice thinly, arrange on a dish.... make a sauce of soy, grated fresh ginger, squeeze of lemon and sesame oil.... dip each piece in the sauce, eat, enjoy....have a dollop of Wasabi handy....!

God, I could eat that all day......
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake them with a bunch of butter, salt, pepper, and old bay...yum...or sometimes butter, dill, and capers...or sometimes on the grill with bacon and red onion...
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If I'm cooking them on the bbq, I marinade the salmon with lemon juice, soya sauce, chili paste, ginger and garlic.

If I'm baking it in the oven, I spread the salmon with a mixture of mayo, green onions and parmesan cheese.

You can also cook it plain and keep in the fridge. Make salmon salad: mayo, green onions, celery.

Lots of recipes out there.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Do. Not. Overcook. There is literally nothing worse IMHO than dried out over cooked fish. Barf.

Easy, quick and relatively fool proof even for the most kitchen noob:

2tbl butter,1 tbl olive oil in pan on medium heat. Season Salmon with pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Once pan is hot put salmon in pan (i usually cook 3 in a large 12" high sided skillet) for 3-4 min per side. turn heat off and clamp lid on for no more than 3 min (so 9-11 min cooking time total depending on how done you like your fish)

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Do. Not. Overcook. There is literally nothing worse IMHO than dried out over cooked fish. Barf.

Easy, quick and relatively fool proof even for the most kitchen noob:

2tbl butter,1 tbl olive oil in pan on medium heat. Season Salmon with pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Once pan is hot put salmon in pan (i usually cook 3 in a large 12" high sided skillet) for 3-4 min per side. turn heat off and clamp lid on for no more than 3 min (so 9-11 min cooking time total depending on how done you like your fish)

I would add that if it's on a glass-top cooker/Ceramic hob, move it off the ring... it stays hot, even though you have turned it off....
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I rented a couple places with electric ranges and they are the worst. I struggled with temperature and heat and it was horrifyingly easy to burn and over cook everything.
  • writerd77
    writerd77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually throw on some olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning, then put it in a cold oven, turn the oven to 400 and cook for 25 mins...comes out perfect every time
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a Sashimi gal, myself.... remove from freezer, allow a fillet to semi-thaw, slice thinly, arrange on a dish.... make a sauce of soy, grated fresh ginger, squeeze of lemon and sesame oil.... dip each piece in the sauce, eat, enjoy....have a dollop of Wasabi handy....!

Does it need to be sushi grade? I live in Arizona...and welll....our fish isn't necessarily the most trusty.

But I do love me some sashimi. Especially the buttery salmon variety.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    YES, it needs to be sushi grade...no one is going to arrest you for eating non-sushi grade raw, but it might make you sick because it's not the same freezing times and temps for sushi grade vs standard fish that will be cooked.
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    xhgvwxw5kbn8.jpg

So far, this has been my favorite salmon. Wrapped it in bacon with some olive oil and pepper and put it in the oven until the bacon was done. I cooked it with some asparagus. No need for more salt because there is plenty in the bacon.

Holy Moly ... that looks delicious!! So cooked about 20 ish minutes (?) at what temp
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    can111 wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    xhgvwxw5kbn8.jpg

Holy Moly ... that looks delicious!! So cooked about 20 ish minutes (?) at what temp

I cooked it at 350 F. It actually took closer to 40 minutes which was much longer than I thought it would take. After the first bite, I decided it was worth the extra time, though. :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

Does it need to be sushi grade? I live in Arizona...and welll....our fish isn't necessarily the most trusty.

But I do love me some sashimi. Especially the buttery salmon variety.

I buy ordinary fillets from a supermarket, freeze them, then take them out to semi-thaw when needed....You can buy ready-frozen too.... Freezing also kills off any potential little misters in the flesh (too microscopic to see.... please don't worry about them or let them put you off. They're not harmful to Humans, although scare stories abound about worms and intestinal infestations.
    That comes usually from eating fish of unknown/doubtful provenance.)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm going to try a few this weekend. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This one is a "treat" for me, but oh my, it's good.

http://www.food.com/recipe/salmon-with-lemon-butter-caper-sauce-239346
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Pan fried in butter with capers!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    Pan fried in butter with capers!

Heh. that's the one I just posted too!
  • dulcitonia