Making a comeback!

Southpaw303
Southpaw303 Posts: 3 Member
Hello everyone I am Jay. I was sleeved back in December of 2014 and lost a total of almost 200 lbs. In July of last year I was hit by a drunk driver while on my motorcycle that had me bed ridden for a good 8 months. I gained 50 lbs back from eating wrong an being stuck in bed. I am back cleared by the DR. and trying to hit this thing running! Looking for friends to help keep me motivated and let me spy on meals for ideas. My goals are to float lower than 1500 calories to start and 80gs of protein. Carbs are a pain but try to stay between 25 and 30. My downfall right now is Pho. I'm limiting to Saturdays​ and a small bowl lol.

Replies

• Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    200lbs is amazing! I'm sorry about your accident but I'm glad things are turning around for you! You got this
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Welcome to the group and I'm sorry to hear about your accident and am glad you are okay. There are some great people here!
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Wow, that's a terrible accident. Glad you're still around! I love pho too, but try to focus on eating the broth and meat and only a pitiful bite or two of the noodles at the end.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    So sorry to hear about your accident! Glad you are on the mend. This is an awesome group, you will get tons of motivation and ideas from everyone! Good luck!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    So sorry to hear about your accident but glad you are okay. I wrote a post yesterday with tons of info. It somehow didn't post but I am copying an email I sent to a co-worker last week who is being sleeved on 5/30. See below and good luck!

Here’s some really good, helpful info:

· Chewable Papaya Enzyme – helps with dumping syndrome/digestion
    · Protein shakes I really like:
    o Eat The Bear–high protein, great macros
    o Chocorite – shakes, candy, etc. They are all AMAZING with high protein, great macros plus pre/probiotic fiber. Tons of flavors to choose from. They have protein bars that I am dying to try.
    o Inspire shakes – good shakes, 20g of protein, good flavor variety but the return policy is pretty much non-existent
    o Syntrax – HUGE variety, also really good macros, vitamins, etc. Their site: www.s103.com or www.syntrax.com offers a 15 flavor variety pack for $15 plus $1.99 as a one time deal. They also have tons of juice based flavors
    o Chike – great, coffee flavored protein powder. They also have regular chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, banana and orange crème. I only like the coffee ones.
    o Click – also really good, espresso based protein powders
    Websites:
    www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com – great tips, recipes, etc. Her Ricotta Bake was amazing as a first food to try when you are in the puree stage. Plus, it’s savory.

www.bariatriceating.com – horrible return policy for the Inspire shakes and other products but great recipes. I have made the manicotti, sweet ricotta bake, no pie pumpkin pie, and warm chocolate pudding. I am planning to make the chicken crust pizza and her general tsos chicken. Also want to make her lemon meringue pie, strawberry pie, jam cake and chocolate chip cookies

www.bariatricfoodie.com – lots of product reviews and recipes. I don’t buy recipes if I have to pay for them and I find that is the case with a good number of them. Her taco casserole was really good!

www.bariatricchoice.com – This place has TONS of products to choose from

www.damndelicious.net – Not necessarily a healthy website but they do have some healthy recipes including protein waffles/pancakes.

www.skinnytaste.com – great recipes, provides nutrition info and portion size

www.emilybites.com – great recipes, provides nutrition info and portion size

Before surgery, definitely look into doing some food prep. I made the split pea with ham soup which I pureed and put into portion controlled containers. Also, get granulated stevia or Splenda, and mashed potatoes. I lived on mashed potatoes with melted cheese for a while. You will get sick of shakes!

I also really like Smari greek yogurt. Sugar content is low and protein is high.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    I am so sorry to hear this but glad you are OK and on the mend. The good news is, the sleeve is a tool that you never lose! The first step is believing you can do this, and you 100% can. I had my sleeve in Dec 2015 and never hit goal, only lost about 50% of what I needed/wanted to lose. I've also experienced a little regain from what I did lose and am struggling to get back on track. Feel free to add me!
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Hello everyone I am Jay. I was sleeved back in December of 2014 and lost a total of almost 200 lbs. In July of last year I was hit by a drunk driver while on my motorcycle that had me bed ridden for a good 8 months. I gained 50 lbs back from eating wrong an being stuck in bed. I am back cleared by the DR. and trying to hit this thing running! Looking for friends to help keep me motivated and let me spy on meals for ideas. My goals are to float lower than 1500 calories to start and 80gs of protein. Carbs are a pain but try to stay between 25 and 30. My downfall right now is Pho. I'm limiting to Saturdays and a small bowl lol.

Hi Jay,

Congratulations on all your weight loss. Sorry about the setback your accident caused. You have lost weight before you can do it again.

I'm no bariatric expert. I'm not the food police ;) My advice is just from my own experience. Take what is useful and ignore the rest.

At three years out, I can hold more food. The restriction is still there but its different. With my calorie increase to 1500 to 1700, I have upped my protein goal 130g minimum. It helped to stay more satisfied and not lose muscle. When my activity slows down I lower my macro's

A few things to try now that you are this far out from surgery:

(1) A pouch test. Liquid diet (protein shakes) for a day or two. The following day, measure out a soft stage food choice (cottage cheese etc) Eat it slowly until you feel full. This will give you an idea of where you feel restriction.

(2) Bariatric diet basics. Eat protein first then your vegetables, a small amount of fruit, and drink liquids a half an hour after you eat. Drink throughout the day. ( this will help you feel full) Carbs in small amounts try to make them whole wheat, sweet potatoes, brown rice or plant based.

I found a low carb pho recipe using Shirataki Noodles ketogasm.com/low-carb-pho-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-recipe/
    Food facts:shirataki-noodles-nutrition.jpg

(3) Here is a bariatric plate photo for a portion reminder. Salad plates to eat from. I eat three main meals and two small. I keep things very low carb for weight loss mode. I add the two tbls spoons carb for maintaining my weight.37375b6dc6c848f0662605567d877a4e.jpg

The work never ends after goal, You got this!