Sciatica and keto

Options
cottagegirl71
cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
So....injured my back in July 2016 at crossfit while eating a keto diet (bulging disks, SI joint inflammation/piriformis syndrome/sciatica on left side all the way to my ankle). Tried all the standard things since then to fix myself (not working/pain is at it's peak/getting an MRI on Sunday) but in the meantime I had resorted to eating SAD comfort food/booze and getting very little exercise. Gained ~25 lbs. Lately I have been reading LOTS and noticing a correlation between keto and reduced nerve pain. I can only assume losing some weight would be beneficial but wondering about the anti-inflammatory nature of this WOE. Does anyone out there have any experience with this? I have just started back on keto but would love to hear your story and/or any tips......another summer is coming quickly and I need ME back :)

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After many years of an overall pain level of 7-8 it dropped to 2-3 in the first 30 days of Keto (Nov 2014). Now that I have been selecting supplements to lower my CRP level my pain is more like 1/10.

I know my chiropractors address bulging disks but arthritis fused my many years ago.

All that I did was cut out processed foods when I left off added sugar and cut out any form of grain. Try it for a couple months is the only thing I know to see if it helps. My list is on the Keto Supplement thread here.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with sciatica but since going back to LC and then transitioning to Keto I've noticed less inflammation in my knees as well as my face, which tends to swell with foods that are high in sodium + carbs.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Massage therapy is the only thing that resolved my saitica. Since then Physical Therapy has kept it in check. I havent used a keto diet for nerve pain but i have noticied other inflammation issues reduced including a foot injury where i usee to feel constant low grade annoying pain.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am down to two deep tissue sessions per month thanks to Keto. Hope you find a long term solution.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I try to stay keto as it seems to control my RA flares. Also I notice it clears my face rash which I guess is rosacea. So I definitely think it reduces inflammation.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Sciatica sufferer here! Although not brought on by a severe injury. And yes keto helped. Well I am sure losing close to 60lbs helped tremendously with the pain. I don't suffer much from it any more and my knee pain from years of abuse playing soccer is almost non-existant. YMMV of course!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Eating Keto has helped me 100% totally manage and control peripheral neuropathy (nerve pain) in my feet. Pre Keto, I was dealing with maddening neuropathy pain every single day, among other health issues at the time. Definitely a 10 on the typical 1-10 pain scale. 3-6 weeks into Keto, the neuropathy pain kept lessening, and lessening, until it was gone. Personally, I still have to be careful about how much carbs/sugar I consume. Too much will still cause a flare up for me. Finding and following Keto has granted me so much physical relief as far as pain goes, I cannot begin to put into words how very grateful I am that I found this WOE!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    see a chiropractor. Mine quite literally changed my life.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In 2004, I herniated my L4-L5 disc. After an MRI, I was given a prescription for Vicodin and told "good luck" and that was the end of it for about a decade, and I dealt with low level pain since then.

Over the years, it progressed to degenerative disc disease and brought L5-S1 with it, as well as my entire hip structure for a while, do to uneven compression of the discs causing misaligned. (For those not familiar with vertebral numbering, those are the ones where the pelvic bone and spine meet and the back becomes the tailbone. So... The base of everything.)

After months at the chiropractor (which I concur is a lifesaver) and traction therapy to decompress the discs and get my hips aligned, I still deal with low level pain that has increased over the years. It also periodically causes sciatic pain, usually in my right side.

Over the past two years or so, I've done a handful of different carb levels (for various reasons), and what I eat has a noticeable impact on how I feel. When I was eating high carb, I could barely get out of bed because of the pain, and if I moved wrong, lightning would shoot through my leg. Now, I'm back on ketogenic levels, and am doing worlds better. There are even days where I am largely pain free and can stand for periods of time with sciatic pain. This is independent if weight loss, too.

While it won't cure it (you still have to deal with the underlying damage), it definitely should help. I'd also recommend hyaluronic acid supplementation. It's the compound used in our joints, and it's a godsend for damage based joint issues. Folic acid and other nerve-healing supplements would probably also be useful.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    awesome - thanks everyone for the suggestions! definetely worth going back to keto to see what happens :)