Pregnancy after gastric bypass

Options
mpzeeks
mpzeeks Posts: 4 Member
Hello everyone!

I'm having gastric bypass in two weeks and they told me I have to wait two years to get pregnant. I'm 26 now, which means I'll be 28 when we try to have a baby. I guess I'm worrying for nothing, but I feel like that may be late to start trying if something is wrong :( Also, I worry that the bypass will make it so I can't get pregnant for some reason.

I guess it would help to know if any of you fellow bypassers had successful pregnancies years out after surgery. Thank you! <3

Replies

• Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

My nurse also advised me to wait 18 months to 2 years before getting pregnant. I'm 35, so my clock is ticking!

Some reasons my nurse gave me to wait:

1) the lack of calories during the first year after WLS isn't ideal for a developing baby.

2) pregnancy may put a hault in weight loss progress, and cause more weight regain than needed.

Those were pretty valid reasons to me, and they make sense. I definitely want to lose all of the weight that I can before getting distracted from my weight loss goals by needing to care for a new baby.

I've met several people who have had surgery and went on to have healthy babies. My nurse said fertility increases dramically with weight loss, so that's a plus!

Good luck to you with surgery. Mine is next week. :smile:
  • mpzeeks
    Options
    Thank you! That's good to know. I was told the same things, I guess I'm just so scared about not being able to. ;(
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's probably a common worry. I don't think that having WLS would lessen your chances of getting pregnant. Unless your surgeon somehow managed to damage your reproductive organs during the surgery or something, but that's not even the area where your surgeon will be working, so the odds are low?

As for age, I was 29 when I had my first child and 31 when I had my second. I think you'll be fine :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My sister in law had gastric bypass and now has a beautiful baby, I think she waited about two years. She plans to have more too, and she is in her early 30s.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I was told i couldnt have children and a dacade of unprotected sex with no baby seemed to support that theory
    I accidentally fell pregnant 10 months post op but unfortunately lost my baby at 13 weeks. I fell pregnant again 6 months later and continued losing weight during pregnancy, gave birth 15 weeks early (my body doesnt handle pregnancy well) and i now have a 15 month old baby boy

Breastfeeding has taken a toll on my vitamin levels and i became severly deficient in iron, vitamin d and calcium so am on suppliments as i plan to continue breastfeeding to natural term

One lady i know fell pregnant 8 weeks out of surgery, she needed a lot of support from the hospital but gave birth full term to an 8lb baby boy
  • ErinCoury
    ErinCoury Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Soooooo I'm the worst one to respond to this. Sleeved on 4/14/14, pregnant November 2014. I did end up having twins at 23w and 6d (so 4-months early), my son survived but my daughter did not (not trying to make anyone feel bad), but surgery was r/o as not being the issue of why I delivered early - the truth is no one knows.

When I got pregnant the first time, I had gone from 221 down to 163.9 (pre-pregnancy). I weighed the night we delivered around 190ish, but when I officially weighed myself it was 6-days after my babies were born and I was at 177. When my daughter died, with my son still in the NICU and I on maternity leave (had a c-section) I started running and restricting my diet. IT was how I could cope. I ended up going from 190/177 down to 148.1 November of 2015. I got pregnant again, and went up to 190.1. Today I am around 151.5 almost 3lbs from pre-pregnancy weight of baby #3/pregnancy #2.

I will say, my body LOVES to eat while pregnant, hence the gains of about 40-50 pounds. I can eat a lot of stuff that I cannot handle when I'm not pregnant. I have a horrible aversion to water while pregnant so I ended up drinking mostly diet pop (no lectures please...i let me self have one a day and choked down 32oz of water -- its a common thing apparently) However, I've started to become strict again and went back to running. I feel so much better and thinner too! I can't wait to see my doctor again this August, but he will be pleased with how 3-years after my sleeve I've kept the weight off regardless of the babies :)

I will say with both pregnancies my iron levels took a dive, so I ended up having IV therapy twice. Hoping that they've managed to stay normal after a year of not being pregnant!! Also, I have PCOS and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
  • mpzeeks
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories with me. I'm so sorry for your losses. That is unimaginable and I'm holding you both in my heart <3