Fasting Issue

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
I'm on keto in the 50 range.

Yesterday morning at 11am I went for a 1 hour walk. I had semi fasted since 2pm the previous day, had a small leafy salad at 10pm the previous night. Before I went out I filled up with salt water.

At 30 minutes- I started feeling dizzy and out of energy and my waking pace slowed. Bad enough that I purchased a small piece of cake. Figured it might be the food fasting and not dehydration.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have you been keeping your salt intake up? I had some dizziness while fasting, and a cup of salty broth helped a lot.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    I have salt water, magnesium citrate and potassium tabs every morning.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can do longer term fasting. 2pm-11am is 21 hours. That's a pretty long time for most people, especially if they don't naturally fall into such a routine. If you truly think it's the fasting, well...stop doing that, at least for that long.

That said, dizziness is a common sign of dehydration and low blood pressure (which can happen when dehydrated, too). It's also possible that, despite your supplementation, you're not meeting your current needs (especially if your area is anything like mine right now, and hot and humid).
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, I tend to do 20-24hr fasts only because I like to snack and eat a ton when I'm at home. I had to work myself up to that though by doing 16hr fasts (skipping breakfasts first) then increased it longer and longer. I drink a ton of hot water throughout the day too.

Coffee and salt tend to dehydrate so if you're having a lot of both you'll have to increase your water as well. If your pee is not straw colored and it's dark yellow you're dehydrated. I think people in here do around a gallon or so every day but I'm never able to drink quite that much!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I'm on keto in the 50 range.

Yesterday morning at 11am I went for a 1 hour walk. I had semi fasted since 2pm the previous day, had a small leafy salad at 10pm the previous night. Before I went out I filled up with salt water.

At 30 minutes- I started feeling dizzy and out of energy and my waking pace slowed. Bad enough that I purchased a small piece of cake. Figured it might be the food fasting and not dehydration.

Suggestions?

Cake? How about beef jerkey, almonds or water or a coffee or a zillion other things that are good for a LCHF diet. Its all about choices and making the best ones along the way.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Cake was your solution? Really?

Only one food store where I was - other options were cheese - chocolate bars and really junky food. My trainer has biased me to have carbs if i overwork in gym.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I tend to do 20-24hr fasts only because I like to snack and eat a ton when I'm at home. I had to work myself up to that though by doing 16hr fasts (skipping breakfasts first) then increased it longer and longer. I drink a ton of hot water throughout the day too.

Coffee and salt tend to dehydrate so if you're having a lot of both you'll have to increase your water as well. If your pee is not straw colored and it's dark yellow you're dehydrated. I think people in here do around a gallon or so every day but I'm never able to drink quite that much!

Sodium only dehydrates when the body already has enough for the balance of electrolytes. That's generally not a problem on LCHF.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Only one food store where I was - other options were cheese - chocolate bars and really junky food. My trainer has biased me to have carbs if i overwork in gym.

I honestly feel like you have your body all over the carb and diet map.
    The high carb pushing trainer...The 50g keto carb limit but choosing cake over cheese to break the fast...
    if you have opted for choices like that before your body just may not have enough consistency to know what you're doing from one day to the next.

Anyway, Phinney says dose 1000mg sodium 30 minutes before activity.
    That could've been the issue.
  • Bob314159
    Options

I honestly feel like you have your body all over the carb and diet map.
    The high carb pushing trainer...The 50g keto carb limit but choosing cake over cheese to break the fast...
    if you have opted for choices like that before your body just may not have enough consistency to know what you're doing from one day to the next.

Anyway, Phinney says dose 1000mg sodium 30 minutes before activity.
    That could've been the issue.

Yeah - I have too many competing targets
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cake!
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Suggestions?
    I suggest you don't eat cake :D

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »

Suggestions?
    I suggest you don't eat cake :D

I second that motion and it passes. Don't eat cake.

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Motion passed: Thou shall not eat cake when famished :p
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If this is a usual walking route for you perhaps you might stop by the place sometime just to peruse your options so you will be better prepared to make a different decision should it happen again.

Cake, or not, if it helped you recover from the dizziness, I'm glad you were near the store to get something.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Motion passed: Thou shall not eat cake when famished :p

This is one time where your cakehole is for anything BUT cake....! ;)