Living the Lifestyle, Thursday, 05/18/2017

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday - Jimb376mfp (Jim) & 88olds (George)
Tuesday - Podkey (Biker Bob)
Wednesday - GadgetgirlIL (Regina)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - TimDumez (Tim)

Today's topic: Style

As you have lost weight, has your style - particularly your sartorial style - changed from what it was before you began your lifestyle change? Or, is it still the same? If you are just beginning the journey, how do you anticipate your style changing? Or, not?

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,719 Member
    Options
    Much the same but I do not were those baggy cloths any more to hide behind.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what sartorial meant. My vocabulary just expanded a smidge.

I didn't use to tuck in my shirts. Now I usually do. Since I'm tall, some of my shirts aren't sufficiently long enough to tuck in and stay put.

I've also been wearing nicer clothes at work since I got back to goal 5 years ago.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Night and day. A more polite way to describe my former self was I dressed in the style of an unmade bed.

I don't recall how much I lost before I bought the first new suit. 25 or 30 lbs I think. But it was a game changer. Even at 250lbs, a new suit with as good a fit as the tailor could get was a transformation. I wanted more.

I found a little shop with a good tailor. I suppose Harry made custom suits, but he also sold suits, all the trimmings and did expert fittings. I had guys stop me and ask to buy the the ties I was wearing. I had class. Me.

Expecting trouble at my kid's parent teacher conference- here comes the middle aged dad in a suit. That beef about the building permit, issue at the bank, I play the suit card. I'm just coming from work, no time to change. Don't think it doesn't make a difference.

Now I live in Key West. I don't even own a suit. It's George Costanza opposite land, dress nice and you get treated like a tourist. The few clothes I buy I get at Ross, Dress For Less.

Last point. I went through several sets of clothes on the way down. I spent the money, thought it was worth it. There are strategies to cut costs but try to get in the business of looking your best ASAP.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Much less patterns. I used to hide behind stretchy cloth tops with bold patterns because I thought it distracted from my excess weight (it really doesn't).

Now I'm more likely to wear solid colors and tailored tops. I also like tucking in my dress shirts or my tops when I wear pencil skirts.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Pre WW I HAD to shop at the Big & Tall shop to find anything that a 376# man could or should wear!

One of the BEST NSVs was being able to buy off the rack at Kohl's (DW favorite store). I used to shop at Wal Mart b/c they have some XXXX sized clothes, Always at a higher price!

So I now have a closet full of summer shirts I need to donate. Really enjoy buying clothes with NO X on the size!

I recently bought size 38 waist Levis, my all time record waist size was 54" I think?

I would actually look forward to buying a suit or sports coat just to see the new me dressed up. Last suit I bought was for son's wedding May 2015, I've lost 60# more since then.
  • Tripaway
    Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest in college (Freshman 15? Yeah right, try Freshman 50!!), I hid behind a lot of baggy clothes and didn't really understand how colour and pattern affect the way you appear to others. I was uncomfortable in my own skin, so hoodies and baggy jeans were my jam - this was about 2000-2001, so I was still able to carry over some of the 90s grunge that I totally rocked in high school :smile:

Then, like many men do, I met my future wife, a real fashionista, and she kind of selected my clothing from there on out until I got an idea of what worked on my body. Now, while I'm still not fully comfortable in my own skin but continue to weigh about 65 lbs less than I did in college, I find myself better able to select clothing options that are both stylish and comfortable without looking frumpy. I wish I could take credit for it, but my wife is really the brains behind the operation. I've developed a bit of an eye for it, but my wife remains the one on the cutting edge. I like to be taken outside my comfort zone occasionally - I'm currently getting into hats, something I've never messed with before because I have really awesome hair :wink:
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    @Tripaway ... So, we're going to see you sporting a male romper, right? ;-)
  • Tripaway
    Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @misterhub Oh sweet baby Jesus, no! "Stylish" doesn't necessarily mean "trendy" LOL :smiley:
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Ah bedecked in sartorial splendor that be me...... NOT. Oh I do have a number of different bike jerseys to choose from. I also bought a glove leather soft black jacket in Spain that fit me "like a glove" and my DSIL warned me it wouldn't fit long. Ah that was over 5 years ago and it still fits great and looks great. I wasn't worried about gaining weight. Also I have a camel hair long winter coat that was too small when I bought it eons ago. Fits perfectly now even though I don't wear it much.
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    At my highest, my choices were dictated by "Does this cover everything I need it to cover?"

As I've lost weight -- and watched a lot of "What Not to Wear" episodes -- I developed skills for choosing what worked with my body type, coloration, and personal style. I wouldn't say I enjoy shopping, but at least it doesn't reduce me to tears the way it did when I was fat. Then it seemed like just one more thing in life designed to remind me that I didn't fit in, and deserved to be ugly. Now its just another task that needs to be accomplished, like grocery shopping or cooking or fertilizing the lawn. I like the outcome (dressing well, looking professional and stylish at work, etc.), so I'm willing to put the effort in even if shopping isn't inherently "fun" for me.

Murple
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh -- I should add that one outcome of these changes is that I appear much younger now than I did 10 years ago. Sure, there's some wrinkles showing, but my clothing 10 years ago was very matronly. Now its age-appropriate, and that actually makes me look younger than I was presenting, previously.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    I used to sell men's clothing, so always dressed well. When I went to a call center job, I gained weight, and didn't worry much about style. Now retired, weight down(ish) I still don't really "style it up", but have one good suit, and three sport coats, and a couple of dress trousers. Daily.. jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies. :)

• DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Style? I guess whatever I wear is my style, right? Most of the clothes I wear from day to day were purchased at REI or Cabela's. If I can't wear it on the trail, why do I need it? When I joined WW I was still working and attended a church where I was most comfortable dressing up. I still have a half dozen suits in the closet and a couple dozen ties. I rarely wear either, now. My changes in dress have come as a result of changes in my life not related to weight.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what sartorial meant. My vocabulary just expanded a smidge.

Me too, but I'm good with that!

My biggest sartorial change has been adding color--nothing too wacky but it occurred to me even though I like 'earth tones', they're pretty drab. For daily work and around the house and photography, that's fine. But now, if I'm going out in public, I'll often bumped it up a notch. For example, orange is a color I never wore when I was fat, but I'm starting to like it.

Running a close second is the simple act of wearing clothes that actually fit. I too used to dress in big, baggy stuff. Wearing clothes that fit is relatively new and most of the time, I actually enjoy them. It did take a while to get used to it though.