Battling My Mind

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
I've been lurking in this group for a little while now and this is my first post so I apologize for the nature of it but i needed a safe place to vent. I'm battling my mind today. For the first time since I started Keto almost 4 wks ago, I am not physically hungry. This is a wonderful change of pace and I'm thrilled because I've been waiting for it.

However, the last few days have been doozies as far as stress goes: I found out my car may need a $2000 fix, started girl time and my septic tank is backing up in my front yard. We've been trying to get a hold of the septic guy to come take a look so I'm stuck here waiting on him and can't run the 1001 errands I NEED to get to. Can't shower, can't do laundry, no dishes. And with it being Friday, if he can't get here today then I'm screwed until Monday. :( My husband has been working 7/12's and will continue that pace for the next two weeks so all these things are falling on me to deal with. This is just the latest round of stuff and he's been working many hours for months.

All of this is making me want to fall into old patterns of eating my emotions. Every time I think about getting up to get something, I make myself wait 30 minutes to decide if I'm actually hungry. So far, no. And thankfully I have nothing in this house that would be tempting me to derail my progress. It's just very frustrating at the moment! I can't even leave for the gym because I don't know when the septic guy is coming! I just needed to vent a little bit and I apologize if it's inappropriate. I just need to figure out how to adjust my attitude without resorting to food or a shopping spree on Amazon. :#

Replies

• LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hugs!! That is so much to deal with & I'm so glad you came here when you needed talked down off the ledge, so to speak, lol. It took me so long to break out of old familiar food habits. And I was at a loss how to cope without snacks when I started. I definitely did stress shop, ugh.

Over time I replaced reaching for food for comfort & entertainment with other activities, but it takes time to build up a library of alternative soothers.

Sometimes if I'm really at a loss I eat a small pat of butter lol. It's a little too rich & kills my appetite while also satisfying that annoying "I need a snack" message. Hang in there! Distract yourself as best you can.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling better while keto? That sort of helps me stay on track when stressed. My energy is more level, higher, my moods are better, and I get better rest when I reduce carbs a lot. I know that adding my old comfort foods at stressful times would only make the situation worse.

All that being said, I do tend to eat more when stressed. Today I had a diet pop and 3 pepperoni sticks that I did not need but I am stressed and wanted some comfort food. Those were enough for me. I won't be in a deficit today but that's okay for me.

My other splurge is reading. Its my indulgence.

If you have the time, a walk or exercise might help with the stress too.

I hope things smooth out for you soon.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Glad it got sorted so fast! Lol yes I hoard the Kerrygold too :lol: A home fitness stress outlet sounds like a great solution. Sounds like you are lining up your quiet & active coping skills very effectively.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear things took a brighter turn after all.
    Venting here to get it off your chest is a good idea.
    There's always someone that can relate and that in itself helps a lot I think.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @knittnponder would you permit me to send you a PM? I have a couple of techniques and suggestions I could make, but I don't want to hog the thread, and I just need to give you an opener to see whether you'd be happy for me to go into greater detail...?
    I feel for you...
    Your name implies you enjoy knitting.
    I do too, so maybe we have a little something in common.

Let me know.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'm open to it. :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Do something for yourself to pamper yourself that's not food related. That's the best way for me to get over a funk when life gets me down. I do know where you are! It doesn't have to cost money either. Could be as simple as a bubble bath, a massage from hubby, or the day off just to binge watch Netflix. Something you usually don't take time/energy to do.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Glad it worked out with the septic guy. I would just add to your activities, listen to podcasts, there are keto ones, meditation ones, comic ones, etc. I have found them a great source of inspiration and just a distraction when I do get thoughts of eating when I shouldn't. Of course that is much rare these days because this WOE I rarely get "hungry". In fact I am in the middle of an extended fast at the moment.

Glad this WOE is working for you as well.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I will second the podcast recommendation. I started listening to one for the first time last year and now I have several I listen to regularly.

I love to learn and this is a great way to do it if you pick the right ones. I use many of them as springboards for my online research.