How to get started

Options
MommaWinski
MommaWinski Posts: 6 Member
So, I am trying to get into shape; other than pear! I really want to do a Tough Mudder and a Color Run B) They just look like so much fun and I want to have a goal that will be fun.

So anyway, my question is what if anything should I be doing to get ready to start running?
I don’t run now. Haven’t ran in years. Like before children, back when I was an EMT and Firefighter. So how do I get started now? Mind you I am obese and there is a lot to get movin.

Thank you in advanced for any tips. (Please be kind)
Kim ~ one fat Momma

Replies

• goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    From the top of my head:

>Invest in a good pair of running shoes.
    >Depending on how heavy you are, it might actually be better for you to just walk for a while, instead of running straight out as it would be easier on your body.
    >It doesn't matter how fast you're going as long as you turn up. Commitment is vital.
    >Start small and build up- a 10 min walk is better than nothing.It get's easier if it slowly becomes a habit and automatic.
    >I used the app C25k by zenlabs. I honestly found running for a minute and a half hard right at the start, but if you stick with you can easily run a 5k after 9 weeks, though many others do repeat weeks.
  • MommaWinski
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am committed to getting in shape and my daughter wants to join me in running. I am excited. 9 weeks to be ready ro run a 5k blows my mind.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes, technically the program last 9 weeks, but in my case I had to repeat some advanced weeks at least twice. All and all I completed the program in around 18 weeks because I had some minor setbacks. If you can complete the program in 9 weeks kudos to you. Adding to golden day's post just listen to your body and be patient. Try not to force yourself because you may get an injury. Good luck...
  • pandamanda18
    pandamanda18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In my opinion (not professional, just from experience)
    1) I would say try to hit your maximum speed and endurance first to know where you are. Example, walk at the fastest pace you can or jog and see how long you can last without seeing stars. That will be your bench mark. Then when you start the program, you know which speed is safe for you to push yourself without getting hurt. Like me, I can only jog at 8km/h for 3 minutes (without fainting), so I know not to go faster than that when following the program. Or if I go faster, then I won't go longer than 3 minutes.
    2) Warm up longer than 5 mins. That 5 mins warm up ain't good enough unless you stretch or do some kind of warm up before hand (which I usually don't). For me, I walk / hike for 15 minutes as warm up. If you don't warm up properly you risk getting hurt.
    3) Go consistently. I know the program says 3 days a week but that is not enough to get you into habit. It's very easy to slack off. I suggest at least 5 days a week. The other 2 days just go for a stroll or a slow jog if you are up to it, but you must go and walk. Don't stop if you have muscle pain, but instead do some gentle stretching or go for a swim instead (slowly)
    4) If you really cannot complete that particular day / workout. Don't be discouraged. Go back to the previous set and repeat the week. You will realise it'll be easier to attempt it again. Do it at your own pace.
    5) Reward yourself. I find that motivating. Like if you get to week 5, you will reward yourself with a treat or a new pair of socks (that kind of thing)
    6) Music! Create a playlist with all your favourite songs. I find that it helps when you are out of breathe and ready to give up. I love mouthing the lyrics and run at a faster pace during the chorus.
    I hope this helps and may you have loads of fun doing it! But as to how you should start, I'll quote Nike and say Just Do It!
  • MommaWinski
    Options
    Thank you all I have been walking everyday and I do start out a little slow than I get pumped up and push faster. I didn't walk Sunday. I guess I over did things Saturday I woke up at 3 am hot dry nausea and the room was spinning. Stayed on the sofa most of the day. So I will slow down and push a little smarter. 30 min walk during lunch and an hour of speed walking after dinner. I have an app that tells me I am walk 1 mile in 18 mins. Sounds like a challenge to me lol
  • debrakozfkay2260
    debrakozfkay2260 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get started walking and I want to walk. I just found out I have nodules on my lungs and shortness of breath. I need advise of where to start and how often I should walk
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get started walking and I want to walk. I just found out I have nodules on my lungs and shortness of breath. I need advise of where to start and how often I should walk

that's a question for your doctor.
  • cariburke
    cariburke Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I found that 90 second jogging intervals was too much for me to start out. Once I found a plan that started at 60 second intervals, I was able to finally get started. The first week (day 3, in particular) is one of the hardest because your body will not be happy - try to make yourself just do it. It's always a challenge when you start a new week/increase the interval times, but that first one was the hardest for me. Listen to your body if you don't feel up to moving on to the next week - simply repeat weeks when you need to.