How many carbs?

Options
H4Z3L0413
H4Z3L0413 Posts: 8 Member
Is there anyone eating 20g of carbs a day? It's my first day and I wanted to do that much but it's so little. Idk what to really eat even though I did research for a week smh.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I personally eat what's called zero carb where I only get about 5g total carbs from dairy. That's just what I've found is best for me.
    I was eating about 20-30g total previously and found that since I only had coffee for breakfast (but bacon and eggs works too), it was fairly easy to stick to that with a meat and salad or veggies at both lunch and dinner.
    You just have to stick to green leafy veggies or cauliflower and stay away from root vegetables.
    You can also subtract the fiber in the veggies to stay below your goal. Or just raise the goal a few to allow for the fiber... it's the same thing in the end.
  • Rocky4157
    Rocky4157 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's easy for veggies to throw me over my 20g carb limit. It is a struggle, I just posted a question of how to increase fat to help me stay balanced. When I was doing low carb I mostly avoided breads, fruits, and sugar and kept to vegetables and proteins. Seems that even veggies can throw me over 20g easily so I am trying to stay on my macros and watch it. Cucumber has helped me to bulk up my tuna salad and leave me fuller. Plus I use a lot of veggies to add to the pasta sauces and meatballs I feed my family.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ can you share what a typical day for you on zero carbs looks like? I am struggling to keep under 20 g even with limited dairy and wondering how zero carb works...

TIA!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    epona_mus wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ can you share what a typical day for you on zero carbs looks like? I am struggling to keep under 20 g even with limited dairy and wondering how zero carb works...

TIA!

I typically just have coffee with half n half until about 2pm. Then I may have a couple burger patties with cheese maybe a couple pieces of bacon... or bacon or sausage with eggs... or a crustless pizza (mozzarella and pepperoni on parchment under the broiler til crispy). I've been known to make a steak or chicken wings or something like that too.
    Dinner is often burgers with cheese or steak or chicken or fish...
    Typically I just grill or cook in a pan on the stove some piece of meat... not really much need for recipes when you only eat animal products.

Every meal is literally some combination of meat/cheese/eggs.

As far as trying to stay under 20g with vegetables... if it's truly from vegetables, you don't need to be that strict. The people that need to be that strict on the carbs are the ones who's carbs are coming from sugars and nuts/nut flours.
    If leafy vegetables agree with you, there really is no reason to limit them. You're not going to get or stay fat from eating spinach just because it puts you over carbs. Cutting out vegetables and purposely eating more fat independent of its presence in meat is more likely to be a set back than anything.
    You can't go wrong with eating meat and green veg. Unless veg doesn't agree with you like me and some others. Then just eat meat ;)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I have been limiting vegetables (spinach, lettuces, broccoli, asparagus, and cucumbers) because of their carb counts. I would much rather eat a huge salad with a portion of meat than meat + tiny bit of greens and my body tolerates it better.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    epona_mus wrote: »
    Interesting! I have been limiting vegetables (spinach, lettuces, broccoli, asparagus, and cucumbers) because of their carb counts. I would much rather eat a huge salad with a portion of meat than meat + tiny bit of greens and my body tolerates it better.

If those are your vegetable choices, I can't imagine any need to limit them.
    Dr Michael Eades wrote the book Protein Power in the 70's and he was the one to introduce the idea of counting net carbs. He said that he found people began limiting their vegetables because they figured low carb was great so lower carb was even better and he did not agree. He introduced the net carb counting as a mental work-around so people could still report eating fewer carbs and stop limiting vegetables.
    Net carbs was never meant to allow for artificial sweeteners and processed Atkins bars... but you're totally safe using it for real green veg like you're describing. :)
  • ThinManRuning
    ThinManRuning Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Here is a copy of today's food intake.( most my days are like this with different meats) under 20g of carbs and some of that is really insoluble fiber too so it would be like 10g real carbs. i was a bit light on the fat today but still have 200 cals spare so I'll drop a few more fish oil tabs before bed..
    grzg1n7hli4r.png
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    As far as trying to stay under 20g with vegetables... if it's truly from vegetables, you don't need to be that strict. The people that need to be that strict on the carbs are the ones who's carbs are coming from sugars and nuts/nut flours.
    If leafy vegetables agree with you, there really is no reason to limit them. You're not going to get or stay fat from eating spinach just because it puts you over carbs. Cutting out vegetables and purposely eating more fat independent of its presence in meat is more likely to be a set back than anything.
    You can't go wrong with eating meat and green veg. Unless veg doesn't agree with you like me and some others. Then just eat meat ;)

This makes so much sense!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Dr Michael Eades wrote the book Protein Power in the 70's and he was the one to introduce the idea of counting net carbs. He said that he found people began limiting their vegetables because they figured low carb was great so lower carb was even better and he did not agree. He introduced the net carb counting as a mental work-around so people could still report eating fewer carbs and stop limiting vegetables.
    Net carbs was never meant to allow for artificial sweeteners and processed Atkins bars... but you're totally safe using it for real green veg like you're describing. :)

Thanks for your insight @Sunny_Bunny_ !

I posted about net carbs recently and got lots of confusing responses with links to charts and sites you need a PhD to understand but I totally get what you're saying and you are so right! No one has ever gotten fat eating lettuce or spinach.

Initially counting net carbs seemed more like a cheater way to eat carbs and say you didn't and I saw no value in that. Especially if the net carbs comes from processed treats like low carb bread or pancakes!

I'm going to focus more on meat and green veggies and not stress as much over how to finagle fruit, nut flour and other treats into my carb count.

... the lights are slowly coming on :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Thanks for your insight @Sunny_Bunny_ !

I posted about net carbs recently and got lots of confusing responses with links to charts and sites you need a PhD to understand but I totally get what you're saying and you are so right! No one has ever gotten fat eating lettuce or spinach.

Initially counting net carbs seemed more like a cheater way to eat carbs and say you didn't and I saw no value in that. Especially if the net carbs comes from processed treats like low carb bread or pancakes!

I'm going to focus more on meat and green veggies and not stress as much over how to finagle fruit, nut flour and other treats into my carb count.

... the lights are slowly coming on :)

That sounds like a perfect plan!
    I did the same thing with the carbs in the beginning too. It was definitely something I used to justify eating keto treats and faux foods. Was not a good idea for any real long term changes for me.
    Too many people want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. The science is definitely there but you don't have to be into it if it's not your thing. Simplicity works and gaming the system will not create the long term behavioral changes that many of us really NEED to keep up this healthy life forever.
    I don't call people out, there's a lot of correlation I see in people making slow progress that do a whole lot of "gaming low carb". Not in all cases of course, but enough.