Chia Seeds

Options
Hi everyone,

Well I just started a bag of chia seeds, and they go along way. But apart from just the "pudding" I haven't used it a ton of different ways. So I am out looking for suggestions.

So far I have experimented with about 3 tbsp of chia seeds to a half cup of milk, half a cup of water and vanilla essence with 2 tsp of sugar. It was good, but boring. So I upped the ante. Changed up the routine experimented with amount of liquid, amount of seeds and length of time it was soaking, and changed out the sugar for honey. It was interesting but I get bored quickly. So I started skipping sugar and hitting a tsp of jam into my pudding. That was yummy. And continuing on in my adventure playing with these jelly seeds, started adding coconut shreds with pumpkin seeds for texture. Added in some pineapple chunks.

Added these little weirdos to some cranberry juice. It wasn't amazing but at least I was able to swallow.

Well I think I hit a wall with my adventure. So today I added it to some tomato soup to make it thicker and more nutritious. Well that was surprisingly very easily disguised. So I need to up my chia game, so I am out on the market looking for suggestions.

Replies

• marshayward
    marshayward Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For the pudding try canned coconut milk (you can get a low fat version) with a bit of vanilla or ginger in it. I use an artificial sweetener. This can be addictive!
  • vjmooney
    vjmooney Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bag this weekend too! I didn't use water in my pudding - i've used it two ways so far, once with a 1/4 cup rice horchata and then also a 1/4 cup dark chocolate almond milk. I just sliced up some strawberries and added some blueberries and let it sit overnight and I was actually impressed, it wasn't half bad! Getting the strawberries kinda mushy helped their flavor get added into the pudding. I like the idea of adding the nuts/coconut for the added texture!
    I've also been tossing it in with my oatmeal in the morning, i've put in 2 tbs with my old fashioned oats, cinnamon, cranberries, nuts, and coconut. With all of that in there, the extra seeds don't really get noticed.
    I used to make an overnight oats recipe with chia seeds, yogurt, and I think steel cut oats but i'm definitely interested to see what other people are using their chias for!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    I normally soak 15g in almond milk overnight and mix it with greek yogurt and berries for breakfast. Or if I'm in a rush blend all the above into a smoothie and have it on the go.
  • amywillloseit2015
    amywillloseit2015 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I put chia seeds in applesauce and I think it is great that way.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I normally soak 15g in almond milk overnight and mix it with greek yogurt and berries for breakfast. Or if I'm in a rush blend all the above into a smoothie and have it on the go.
    @Lois_1989
    I like this idea! Definitely going to try this... I recently purchased plain Greek yogurt decided to quit buying the flavored...way too much sugar in it for me. So I'll try out your tasty sounding method, thanks for posting it! :smiley:

What type of Almond Milk do you use that you enjoy? Still looking for one..
    What brand of Greek yogurt do you typically use?

Appreciate anyone's input!!
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I add it to my oatmeal every morning along with ground flax seed. I do 1 TBSP each. I also add chia seeds to my protein shakes, in homemade protein bars, on top of pb toast, etc. There are so many different ways to incorporate chia seeds. I suggest looking on Pinterest for ideas. Tons of recipes with chia seeds.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas:) I admit I did the yogurt thing, well one because I buy the cheaper yogurt which makes it not the thick greek kind, but adding chia seeds and letting it thicken makes it great. I started grinding it up, cause I was sick of flossing twice in the morning to remove run away seeds, and I add it to salad. Sounds weird, but it works if you are taking a particularly wet salad, with lots of dressing and tomatoes to work, add in a few tsp of ground chia seed to it the same way you would add pepper, then mix it prior to eating. It absorbs a lot of excess moisture so it keeps the salad in a better state. :)
  • JustaGirl_withaGoal
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my steel cut oats, you never even know they are there.
  • Mousaroni
    Mousaroni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I add them to those No-Bake Energy Balls.

1 cup raw oats
    1/2 cup ground flax seed
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    5 Tbsp chocolate chips
    6 Tbsp peanut butter (or almond butter, I mix it up or use both)
    5 Tbsp honey
    1 tsp vanilla
    Vanilla protein powder Optional

It makes about 20 little bite-sized balls that are good snacks or even breakfast on the go!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    @Lois_1989
    I like this idea! Definitely going to try this... I recently purchased plain Greek yogurt decided to quit buying the flavored...way too much sugar in it for me. So I'll try out your tasty sounding method, thanks for posting it! :smiley:

What type of Almond Milk do you use that you enjoy? Still looking for one..
    What brand of Greek yogurt do you typically use?

Appreciate anyone's input!!

I love using Chia seeds in my oatmeal, in my yogurt & on my tuna sandwiches. I love the crunch factor although I do agree they do tend to get stuck in between your teeth. :laugh: