Fitbit seems to be of poor construction quality

Justin_1972
Justin_1972 Posts: 25 Member
I purchased my first FitBit about 22 months ago. After about 16 months it went kaput. Stopped working completely and would not recharge. It was the Charge HR. It was never abused. Fitbit was good enough to send me a new replacement, however that one stopped working yesterday (so 6 months later). The only thing that ever got on this is sweat. Anybody know of a GOOD fitness tracker that will last a couple of years? I can't bring myself to risk another Fitbit.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I havent had any problems with the hardware part, but i have noticed fitbits firmware updates tend to brick many users devices making them useless , at least with my model.
    I have had issues with the accessories though, i have the Alta, and within 6mths of having it the charger and then the band broke. Fitbit has no problems replacing these, as i think they are well aware of the flimsiness of the bands etc
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    I don't really think any wearable device is going to last too much longer. It looks like 18 months is pretty standard for Fitbit except the Flex which has design issues and makes it about a year.
    I have the Blaze, for me it's pretty much a replacement for a gym membership as it lets me treat my home like a running track. If it makes it 18 months I will be totally happy with it and just buy another of the same.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Just got my Charge 2 today, but this really makes me feel leery. I don't want to have spent $200 for something that is only expected to last 1-1.5 years.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Just got my Charge 2 today, but this really makes me feel leery. I don't want to have spent $200 for something that is only expected to last 1-1.5 years.

After I posted that, I found a couple discussions where people got a lot more life out of theirs. I know I won't get that much life out of mine because I'm just hard on wearable tech or any tech you carry around really. I get MAYBE 2 years out of a cell phone and that's only because I buy a case for it and buy the waterproof phone. Even so, like 9 months of that I've got a phone with a cracked screen.

My coworker has a surge that's 3 years old. Another one has a 2 year old Alta with no issues.

I will be happy if mine lasts 18 months, but, I'm hard on tech. There's this human tendency to assume other people are just like you, but, of course there are probably plenty of people who have successfully owned a watch without breaking it for more than 2 years too. lol Just not me.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the old Charge HR, but, I've seen nothing but solid reviews for the Charge 2. The Charge 2 is likely to last longer. :)

The Blaze also has solid reviews, but needs to be charged more often.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member

I wore my One every day and night for 1 year. Upgraded to the Charge HR, wore that every day and night for 3 years. It's still perfect. Not even a scratch onthe screen. I only upgraded to the Alta HR so I had the option to change bands.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Lol ok this sounds much more reassuring. I've had my Charge 2 for two days now and I'm already slightly addicted to the info. I was using just the app with the pedometer on my phone for a few weeks and I'm just absolutely loving having a wearable now.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    After going through 3 fitbits in less than two years I decided to give it up and not worth the cost and aggravation. Hoping for a better experience with the Garmin.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    After going through 3 fitbits in less than two years I decided to give it up and not worth the cost and aggravation. Hoping for a better experience with the Garmin.

Exactly what happened to me.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, at first my problem was the wristband on my Charge breaking at the seals (it kept bubbling up) and I had to superglue it but now it wont connect to bluetooth. :Bubbling started maybe less than a year into having it but the bluetooth issue is new 3.5 years on. :( I am torn between getting a Charge HR 2 or the One..
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    I myself have had problems with the hard plastic housing holding the watch face. It started with a screw falling out and cascaded from there. I found online a silicone covers that helps hold the watch face housing together. The silicone covers come in many funky colours and neat patterns that helps protects and keep sweat out of the charging port.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Both my daughter and I have fit bits. First we had the fitbit zip, after 3 years still going strong. She upgraded last Christmas to the blaze, also still going well and Upgraded to the charge 2. also still going well. So we have been very happy to date with our selections.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    My 1-year-3-month old Charge HR just died 5 days ago in the beginning of my hiking trip. I was excited for what stats I'd get from hiking but ended up with nothing.
    This was my bday gift & I've been using it almost 24/7 for workout stats, daily calories burn (in comparison to MFP record), & sleep quality. I was told by the customer service agent that they won't replace mine since it's beyond my 1-year warrantee but they gave me a 25% off coupon for my next purchase. Now I'm not just pissed but also wondering if I should stick with fitbit...
    The way my Charge HR broke was kind of scary since it's like slowly degradation followed by catastrophic dissembling within 2 weeks: silicon seal leakage, charging dock separate from main body, and wrist band distorted with a split.
    I have 4 friends who're using fitbit products but only one uses it as often as me (maybe even sweatier). Hers is a Charge 2 whereas the other HR users still have theirs full functioning.
    I really don't think my daily sweaty use for exercise recording would cause so much damaging. I don't think even that day the higher outdoor temperature should be the reason why it died within such short period of time... (maybe only affecting silicon seal?!).
  • jenni3001
    jenni3001 Posts: 33 Member
    Get a polar. I have the watch and the loop. The watch I've had for about 6 years and the Loop about 4. No problem with those.
  • awells5187
    awells5187 Posts: 11 Member
    I have the charge 2 and my band came unglued right next to the face within a couple months of getting it. Otherwise I absolutely love it, I'll replace the band later.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    awells5187 wrote: »
    I have the charge 2 and my band came unglued right next to the face within a couple months of getting it. Otherwise I absolutely love it, I'll replace the band later.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to my Alta.

Cable ties and super glue have come in very handy since getting mine. Fitbits are mighty expensive here in Aus.