New kid in town

Options
Hello,
I'm new to fitness pal. I'm interested in connecting with people whose primary focus is swimming-- whether it be casual or intense training !

Growing up I was a competitive swimmer--these days 100yds leaves me panting!

I could really use some tips on building up endurance as well as dry land exercises.

Would love to join any groups or discussions!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You found us!

We range from dog paddlers to endurance lap swimmers, to former competitive athletes-- welcome to the cool end of the pool!

Me? I'm not fast, but I crank out about 54 laps (2700 y) in 72 minutes three - 4X per week.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group.
    Sift through the various post, there is a lot of good information and videos.
    Or just ask, we have a lot of knowledgeable people that are active swimmers.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Welcome!
    Probably the best way to build up endurance is to gradually increase your distance each session.
    Besides, as a former competitive swimmer you will be very pleasantly surprised at the effect of muscle memory for endurance. It helped me a lot. Not so much for speed, alas. I am still working on that, but most of that is in my head, not my physical ability.

good luck and let us know how you get on!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Building endurance is as simple as doing "one more lap. "
    When you think you can't do any more, rest a minute and do one more lap.
    Each week add one more lap than you did the obvious week.
    No need to think about big jumps in distance.
    Before long you will be counting distance in kilometers or miles.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Former competitive swimmer too...started back in the pool after decades. First day I did 300 yards and thought I would die. I slowly built up over time, now I am doing anywhere from 3000 yards to 4500. Happy to answer questions if you have them.
  • tjpecknh
    tjpecknh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! I'm a long distance open water swimmer and looking for get a little faster and working on some strength training with a trainer twice a week and always looking for fuel during LONG swims. My struggle is I cannot loose weight. Nothing makes you hungry like swimming and I'm trying to figure out how to account for the calories burned swimming into the daily diary and also wondering if anyone uses the swim.com app and an apple watch. Is there anyway to synch this with MFP yet?
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Welcome @tjpecknh ! Swimming does make you hungry, no doubt, plus builds muscle so you want enough calories to fuel the building but not fuel the fat...tough balancing act. Alas I use fitbit which does synch, but I have to manually add my swimming. Will check out swim.com.