UnDoctored: New book by William Davis (Wheatbelly)

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
This book came out earlier this month. I just heard about it and thought anyone else that may have missed it would like to know it's available now.
I haven't read it yet of course, and have been majorly lacking on my reading lately... but there are reviews on Amazon since it's been out for a few weeks now and looks great as expected.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/05/early-reviews-new-undoctored-book/

mznd6mddbu1y.jpg

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Read the kindle preview then checked on line at the local library. 39 copies with 6 people on the waiting list. Haven't read a good book since "The Hungry Brain" ( Stephan Guyenet) so downloaded "Undoctored" and am reading it now. We'll see.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thanks. Read the kindle preview then checked on line at the local library. 39 copies with 6 people on the waiting list. Haven't read a good book since "The Hungry Brain" ( Stephan Guyenet) so downloaded "Undoctored" and am reading it now. We'll see.

Great! Let us know what you think of it.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested if any different info then tje wheat belly books...I enjoyed the older books.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    FYI, this book is available as an ebook for 1 credit on http://www.Scribd.com.

Looks great so far. Lots of good info that's well-organized, with references.

He talks a lot about magnesium deficiency (and emphasizes health concerns for diabetics & prediabetics, who tend to pee away magnesium and run low). Appendix C has a simple recipe for homemade magnesium water, made with unflavored milk of magnesia and seltzer water. This produces magnesium bicarbonate, which he believes is the most highly absorbable form of magnesium.

Here's a start page for UnDoctored online resources: https://undoctored.com/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have a hold on it at my library. I'm looking forward to it.

He was the first to get me thinking about grains as sub-optimal for health. I like his writing.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Thank you! I have a hold on it at my library. I'm looking forward to it.

He was the first to get me thinking about grains as sub-optimal for health. I like his writing.

I've skimmed the whole book in the last couple of hours - easy reading, lots of really great info, and a fair amount of humor, too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Does your library also participate in "Hoopla"? Mine does. It's on Hoopla for my library. Never a wait.

https://www.hoopladigital.com/search?q=Undoctored

BEST app ever for library audio and ebooks.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm bummed, my library doesn't carry the kindle version. I requested they get it but I may just buy it off Amazon if you all say it's good.
  • kpk54
    Options
    @pitbullmamaliz, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through. I've not read much that is new information yet. The guy is very much an advocate of social media/google and learning from others with like diseases while using licensed physicians for catastrophic health events, prescriptions etc. I think I'm probably just now getting to the nitty gritty regarding food/supplements for prevention.

Thanks @Sabine_Stroehm. Thanks for the tip. I didn't even think about ebooks etc at the library. Embarrassed to say I have just started using it this last year. It's only a half mile from my house and has been there about 10 years.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    He talks a lot about magnesium deficiency (and emphasizes health concerns for diabetics & prediabetics, who tend to pee away magnesium and run low). Appendix C has a simple recipe for homemade magnesium water, made with unflavored milk of magnesia and seltzer water. This produces magnesium bicarbonate, which he believes is the most highly absorbable form of magnesium.

there are some books from Dr. Marc Sircus, where it is exactly described how sodium bicarbonate and magnesium chlorid works together. he also mention potassium in his books. intresting how sodium bicarbonate reduces inflammation in your body pretty fast.

Sodium Bicarbonate: Nature's Unique First Aid Remedy

Transdermal Magnesium Therapy: A New Modality for the Maintenance of Health
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The only thing worse than being killed by your doctor is not caring for yourself in a way that could have prevented you from needing that doctor.

2300death.jpg&w=1484
    *source this Washington Post article about this study
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    The only thing worse than being killed by your doctor is not caring for yourself in a way that could have prevented you from needing that doctor.

2300death.jpg&w=1484
    *source this Washington Post article about this study

That's just really scary, but I can see it. With my health issues, I have figured them out, and fought for the treatment I needed, the majority of the time. I figure doctors are human and going to make mistakes. I have the greatest vested interest in my health so I need to take responsibility for most of it.

TBH, I am pretty baffled by people who place blind faith on their doctors. Pretty risky, IMO.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    It's not only that they place blind faith; the other sad thing is that many people believe their doctors are responsible for their health. "I'm sick. It's my own damn fault, I smoke/eat too much/eat the wrong things/drink heavily/don't exercise/neglect my health and so now I'm sick, it's up to you to heal me. And quickly. And completely. And for as little investment of any kind from me!"

Sadly, I know it all-too-often happens that way..... So yes, while I take nothing away from the responsibility of those in the Health/Medical profession and the high standards we rightly expect, in some cases, they are really fighting some things with both hands tied behind their backs.
    I'm in the UK, so the Health system is a little different to that in the USofA....
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    That's true. Many are happy to just put all responsibility on the doctor.

Man, that's gotta be a tough job...
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Has any police officer ever acted unjustifiably? Has any cop ever failed to cover up his colleague's misdeeds? Has any cop ever killed an innocent man without 100% backing of his peers and superiors willing to lie and explain away why their compatriot was in the right?

Do we think the medical community is any different?

How many times do doctors look the other way? How often are results "inconclusive"? What percentage of iatrogenic deaths actually get reported honestly?

Heart disease and cancer don't have co-workers willing to protect their own. Are they really the #1 and #2 cause of death, or might death by doctor deserve to, in reality, be higher up that list?
  • kpk54
    Options
    The book was a repackaging of information but that is not to slight the author. Anyone who has spent any time on the internet researching or reading the volumes of diet/health books related to low carb has read most of what is in this book. It is just packaged into his 6 week plan of "Undoctored, Wild, Naked and Unwashed"...every part of which one must follow to become "undoctored". It included no grains (not just wheat), no added sugars, less than 15 net carbs per meal, a few supplements, prebiotics (he favors building up to 20 grams of fiber/day), probiotics, the usual exercise and i forget what else at the moment. His position is, up the fat versus protein indicating too much protein effects BG/insulin and ketosis.

And of ccourse he strongly advocates personal research, participating in forums similar to this to obtain experience of others. He provides several websites where one can get their own lab tests by sending away a sample of everything from saliva to "poo".

It wasn't a book of breakthrough research or any thing really new. He did have a few recipes and i am so glad it was only a few. The couple of most interest (though I won't be trying them) were prebiotic smoothies made with GREEN bananas or GREEN plantains or Raw white potatoes.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten my bananas on the green side... so green that I need a knife to peel them as the skin will not come off of the flesh properly. I do like the flavour of ripe banana in other stuff, but just not a fan of ripe banana texture. Raw potatoes, on the other hand, just sound 'ewwww.'
    I am #4 hold on 3 available copies of "UnDoctored" in my library system, but may pass it by after a quick look if it's stuff I've already found out about.

Just a point about docs... people expect them to know all about everyone's health problems, while we only need to know all about our own diseases/health issues. Pity the poor docs! It's great when you get a PCP who acknowledges that you may know more about your own disease processes that he/she does.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dr Davis's "The Wheat Belly Diet" book is where it all started for me. It is where I first learned about the effects of grains and eating LCHF. It led me to taking control over my own health, losing 60 lbs, getting off any medication I was on and researching and reading all things related to improving my health. I have his first 2 books and 2 of his cookbooks. Thanks for the heads up, I will look into it.
  • RalfLott
    edited June 2017
    Options
    <refresh> for @Clownfish423
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @RalfLott! So far, I really like the book. Interesting perspective on modern medicine and the lack of "health"care from today's physicians.