Dark chocolate warning for dog owners

Options
ellynmae
ellynmae Posts: 11 Member
Keto friends: This sad post is a warning. This past Tuesday, our beloved Jordy died. He had eaten my keto-friendly 90% cacao chocolate. We knew chocolate was toxic to dogs but slipped up with tragic results. We've since learned that the darker the chocolate, the more toxic the chocolate is to dogs. Our 14 pound sweet Jordy never had a chance even though we took him right to the ER. He didn't have any symptoms but we learned that the toxicity keeps building up. PLEASE: if you have a dog and you eat keto-friendly dark chocolate, please keep it well out of your dog's reach. Our hearts are broken but we hope our message helps save other dogs.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    <3 Oh my. How sad, the passing of our canine/feline babies. Thank you for passing along the message. <3
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh my heart goes out to you and your poor, dear, dog. Thank you so much for having such a kind heart to think of others. I had no idea how toxic it could be, and I'll be sure to pass that on, I know quite a few people who have dogs and do like the dark chocolate.

It's so sad and hard to lose a loved one when especially our 'babies'. Be extra kind to yourself while you grieve.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @ellynmae , you have my very deepest sympathy for the loss of your beloved pet.

I am a Dog Behaviourist, and we have a saying (in 'canine' circles) here in the UK: "A Yorkie bar will kill a Yorkie terrier".

chocolate created for human consumption is absolute venom to anyone's beloved canine companion. I am so dreadfully sorry you saw for yourself, the hard way.

You have my condolences.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am so, so sorry for your loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.
    Thanks for the warning/reminder for other dog parents.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. :-(
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :( I'm so sorry.

Thank you for the warning.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm so so sorry.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry for your loss
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss!
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you as I read about this tragic occurrence. I know about the toxicity, and that the darker the chocolate, the worse it is. The same can be said of Xylitol. I keep mine well out of reach, but accidents can and do happen, so thank you for the reminder. It must be very painful for you, so please know that every pet lover here will appreciate your message, I'm sure. You're in my prayers for peace and comfort at this difficult time.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sending a million hugs for your heartbreaking tragedy, please know that you are in our thoughts.