Hey!

Options
Hello, all! I am in the process of waiting for a transplant, and was presented with the option to add VSG to the surgery plan, since they'll have great access at that time! I've struggled with my weight since I was about 10, and have yo-yo'd in that time, but gained significantly when I was on dialysis. I've done a ton of research, and my surgeon has pioneered this approach at Mayo Clinic, and over a 5 year period has found that there are great outcomes for transplant patients! I'm making healthy changes in my life now, and working to tackle the "head hunger" since I'll be adding prednisone to my meds (a part of the anti-rejection drug cocktail). I'd love to support you guys in your journies, so please feel free to send me a friend request! I'm looking forward to continuing to be healthier.

Replies

• Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! And good luck on your transplant and VGS! My surgery is scheduled for 6/9.
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your transplant! It sounds like you have a very good surgeon, that is super important. I did my research and waited an extra 6 months just to get the surgeon I wanted.
  • featherweather89
    featherweather89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @Shull_rachael & @MrsCarrieRobinson ! How are you ladies doing with your eating plans? I have a couple friends who have had VGS, and while everyone is different, it's great to have people to talk to who have personal experience with the process. Do you have any tips at the current point you are each at in your journies?
  • featherweather89
    Options
    http://medprofvideos.mayoclinic.org/videos/double-impact-pioneering-simultaneous-liver-transplant-and-gastric-sleeve

Here is a video of my surgeon talking about the simultaneous transplant & VGS surgeries. It's a few years old, so they have more comprehensive data that it is a good choice for some people, now, given good outcomes with those who went through the process.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @featherweather89 - welcome to the group and good luck with your surgeries! As for eating, I try to eat as low carb as possible. I don't omit it completely. A lot of people don't use any added sugars and while I do use sugar substitutes and prefer stevia, I will be completely honest in saying that I do allow myself real sugar and modify it. My body tells me if/when I overdo it and I try to be as cognizant as I can. I also work out with a trainer and at the gym..I love spin classes and my gym is a boutique spin studio where the bikes move and they also have classes that are half spin and half weight training so it's very important to get variety with working out as well.

I would say as for food, give yourself variety so you don't get bored. I love to cook and use so many different blogs and am always looking for new products.

Good luck and feel free to reach out if you need anything!

Jen
  • featherweather89
    Options
    @jcavanna2 Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it! I currently am on a limited protein diet (no more than 80 grams) due to having low kidney function and still eating about 1600 calories a day as a goal. Definitely looking at moving to reduce carbs and being cognizant of what kinds of foods I'm putting in my body (leaning towards healthy fats, healthier choices for carbs, etc). Sugar is a hard one, because I currently am very sensitive to artificial sweeteners (not that they're any good for you), but have found that I do like stevia (it helps that it's a natural sweetener)! I'm not a big pop drinker and don't eat fast food often. I recently got a grill, and have been experimenting with curry. Variety is absolutely essential to keeping things fresh :)
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @featherweather89 happy to share. Check out Amrita Bars - nothing artificial and the bars are amazing - whole, raw foods in the bars and they taste awesome