June Challenge?

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
I'm off to go camping after noon tomorrow.
Ideas?
Discuss the possibilities among yourselves.

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Jumping for Joy June? Lol Seriously, I watched a 600lb Life episode and one of the ladies was saying that although she was losing the weight, she constantly felt like a "failure". She called these negative thoughts "the fat girl" in her that she was constantly battling. The counselor pointed out to her that SHE needed to feel like she deserved all the good things she was reaping because SHE was the one putting in the hard work. I know we are a "weight" loss focused group but maybe we can learn to be kinder to ourselves. Maybe our challenge could be to make a fitness goal plus a do something each day to encourage ourselves positively! Its been my experience that when people share their NSV's , I get encouraged too. Just a thought for June's challenge :)
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Jumping Jack June? Start with 5, add 5 a day?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    They're both good ideas! It would do my soul some good to find and see a joy in each and every day and get my head out of the mundane.

And those jumping jacks? I'd be in for step jacks. I'm not so sure the old knees could withstand jumping jacks. I just did a trial and did 102 (step jacks) in 2 minutes which to me is 51 given half the leg oomph. Starting with 5 and adding 5 per day would be 150 ( 300 for me doing step jacks) by months end and only a 5 minute max, daily investment in my health. What excuse could I possibly come up with for not doing this?

FWIW...that 51 had me huffing and puffing. 2 minutes and my feet never left the ground. Dear me. :/
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 - What's a step jack?
  • kpk54
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

Rather than jump up and down placing both feet out together, out together, out together as in jumping jack....

As both arms go over head just tap one foot out. Then do over tapping the other foot out. Alternating feet are always on the ground. Low impact. Way easier on the knees. A Google search will probably show it in motion.

ETA: Just happened to come downstairs to my desk top so check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHdVMkRBuRA
  • baconslave
    Options
    bumpish
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    bametels wrote: »

Rather than jump up and down placing both feet out together, out together, out together as in jumping jack....

As both arms go over head just tap one foot out. Then do over tapping the other foot out. Alternating feet are always on the ground. Low impact. Way easier on the knees. A Google search will probably show it in motion.

ETA: Just happened to come downstairs to my desk top so check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHdVMkRBuRA

Thanks for sharing!! I've never heard of step-jacks and after having knee surgery a couple of years ago for a torn meniscus (got between my dog and a squirrel and I lost), regular jumping jacks are no longer a possibility.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I really need to start doing something. I'm so full of excuses right now. Anything with forward movement (walking) aggravates the heck out of my dystonia and my real reason for doing the "step jack trial" last night was to see the effect on my ever-aching-never-really-healed-torn rotator cuff/separated bicep that really needs some movement. My knees...I've known about those for a long time.

I hear ya @bametels. I hate losing battles to dogs and squirrels...and slippery bath tubs. This year for my 1st beach trip of the year, I added a tub mat to my ever growing list of stuff I have to take. :/ "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up". I need to keep that one from becoming a reality.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I won't be doing any jumping jacks, though I would consider side steps. Or squats. I will still be in 2 walking challenges for June so I'll be continuing that and I think adding some type of yoga. I don't think I will take up the push up challenge again right now.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Step jack challenge? I'm in!
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm also in for step jack. I couldn't do jumping jacks after knee surgery.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jump /step jack sounds good.
    The great outdoors suggestion is great for those of you playing in the northern hemisphere, but it's getting very cold and wet down here in Australia
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I went for my first swim/ aquafit in my pool today 68 degrees I will do Jacks in tje pool. could use some positivity too been kinda glass half empty for may. I'm usually a rose coloured glasses girl.
  • baconslave
    Options
    kfat1 wrote: »
    JUMP IN June....a motivational challenge? Jump on in, feet first, full steam ahead, make a plan and jump right into it with all your determination, no excuses, just get it done! Make weekly goals,challenges and just jump in and do it! By the end of June, look back at your challenges and see which ones you JUMPED IN and GOT DONE!

NICE!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Continuing my walking but I will be adding in a Leslie Sansone walk first thing in the morning. I think I need to kick it up a notch or two. I'm also planning to start adding a tiny bit of yoga in the morning. Mostly a few stretches, though I may go all out and turn on the DVD.
  • baconslave
    Options
    5/31: 75 min of stomping about the yard.
    My legs are so dang sore. Dang goblet squats on Tuesday! I'm behind on my strength training this week thanks to the fatigue smackdown on Monday, so I'm thinking Arms today and legs tomorrow.

So to recap my month, I did really well at not letting the Sjogren's fatigue get me down. My scale is still laughing in my face despite the deficit. I'm just spinning my wheels, maintaining. :rage: Which is better than gaining. I still want to lose about 10lb again. But it looks like my body really prefers this weight. Too bad we don't agree. I'll just keep working it and getting stronger. Or at least not losing strength.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Cant find the new June challenge thread, so I'll post here.
    Im jumping in and have survived a hard weekend pretty close to keto and still feel like I can swing it.
    Tonight Im going out with friends to a different type of music venue. I'm hoping for dancing, but will have a good time regardless. A nice way to end a very challenging 72 hours.
    This week coming up I have a good amount of work and appointments, and another outing with friends. I'm really working hard at finding pacing and balance for this lifestyle change from mom to single empty nester.
    First and foremost, I want to begin actually living and sustaining my own happiness and interest in life.
    Enough with denial and day dreaming.
    The hardest lesson in the world for me is,
    I am enough as I am, and that I'm 100% responsible for my own well being, and it's time for me to make it happen, every day.
    That's how I'm Jumping into June.