Tortilla-less Quesadilla

Options
codename_steve
codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
So last night I made what I'm going to start calling a "tortilla-less quesadilla"!! I used parchment paper as the tortilla (to get the shape and keep the cheese from sticking everywhere), filled it with cheese, chicken, and jalapenos, then heated in a pan. My boyfriend said it was weird that I was eating a "quesadilla" with a spoon, but it was really yummy!

Just thought I'd share. I was a little bit proud of myself for thinking of the parchment paper part. :smile:

Replies

• gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good! I have a recipe for a cheese & egg pizza crust that, when baked, feels and tastes very much like when we used to make tortilla pizzas. I bet a couple of little ones would make for a great quesadilla.
  • mtague7733
    mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ooo....can u share the crust recipe?!!!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can also make taco shells out of pure shredded cheese by heating on a paper plate in the microwave for 1 minute or so and then forming over a box (usually the parchment paper or aluminum foil box). I would think you could do the same thing in the oven using parchment paper with your fillings on top and then fold over into a quesadilla shape when everything is all bubbly!
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    we used to do that with parmesan cheese, baked in the oven on parchment paper, but it would get far too crispy to hold together as a taco. it would shatter as soon as you bit into it. the egg for binding it all together sounds like a great idea!
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    also, the Greeks have this and it is awesome!! I call it "grilled cheese sandwich without the bread". Serve with a little sprinkle of herbs and lemon juice. if you don't have a real grill, get your pan REALLY hot first, like a little ball of water just dances around and doesn't splat, then add oil, then add the cheese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloumi
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
    I make crustless skillet pizza with just shredded mozzarella and pepperoni. I can see how making it with shredded cheddar and some taco meat or whatever could make it more quesadilla like. I'll have to try that!