3 days Keto - Weight Gain??

Options
wardenmom
wardenmom Posts: 12 Member
Hi Everyone

Has anyone experienced any weight gain when you started Keto? I am up 4lbs in 4 days. I know our bodies can fluctuate but, sheesh 4lbs. I have been under my caloric intake by 400 cals a day because I just not hungry. Just curious if anyone else had this issue?

Thanks ya'll
Robin

Replies

• LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight but I stayed steady for a LONG time when I started, maybe weeks? I think it takes a while for the body to adjust. Hang in there, it's likely water retention.
  • wardenmom
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely going to stick it out. This is a whole new idea to me, eating fat. I used to be a protein junkie. lol. I
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    It was six weeks in before I lost the first pound of weight but lost an inch at the waist and my fat face had started to melt before I lost the first pound.

We gain weight initially due to physical/mental states in my view. At 63 I was very unhealthy so I think my health had to start improving before the body would let go of any weight.

The article below was interesting to me.
    https://biosciencetechnology.com/news/2017/05/why-brain-cells-may-prevent-fat-burning-during-dieting
  • wardenmom
    Options
    Thanks Gale. I will check out the article.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Take picture and measurements. LCHF is often such a change that even though your body is shrinking, the scale may not be. Pictures can show a real difference.

I recently switched from a high keto to low carb level down to almost zero carb with more protein than normal. I gained about 8 lbs and went up to a 2-year high. I felt smaller though so I ignored it.

Finally after 4 or 5 weeks the scale reading dropped about 12 lbs in a week. It finally reflects how I feel.

Hang in there. :)

How are you doing with keto, BTW? Enjoying it so far?
  • wardenmom
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Take picture and measurements. LCHF is often such a change that even though your body is shrinking, the scale may not be. Pictures can show a real difference.

I recently switched from a high keto to low carb level down to almost zero carb with more protein than normal. I gained about 8 lbs and went up to a 2-year high. I felt smaller though so I ignored it.

Finally after 4 or 5 weeks the scale reading dropped about 12 lbs in a week. It finally reflects how I feel.

Hang in there. :)

How are you doing with keto, BTW? Enjoying it so far?

Thank you for this. I will take pictures too. As soon as I got off the scale I took measurements. It wasn't pretty! I like Keto so far. I have been doing a lot of reading about Keto and IF for awhile. I initially was intrigued with the healing properties of this way of eating. I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis around my spine. So, I was looking for something that I could do naturally to combat inflammation. However, I am not going to lie the whole weight loss thing is a bonus and it is much needed in order to take care of myself long term. It has forced me to look at a few things, weekend eating and alcohol. So, I am looking forward to a healthier me.
    I bet you were elated to see those 12 pounds gone. That is crazy!

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    wardenmom wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Has anyone experienced any weight gain when you started Keto? I am up 4lbs in 4 days. I know our bodies can fluctuate but, sheesh 4lbs. I have been under my caloric intake by 400 cals a day because I just not hungry. Just curious if anyone else had this issue?

Thanks ya'll
    Robin

oh yes yes and grr yes! I dumped over 4lbs initially on my restart a couple of weeks ago, and then poof went up 4, in like a day so meh. it comes it goes....it goes. definitely do the pics and measurements...and note how your clothes feel on you. not so tight this week? maybe looser in one area or another (that you'd least expect)? I also have a certain set of clothing i try on regularly as a measure. It may not look great now, but when it finally does? look out! :-D