I miss my Starbucks!!!!

Options
MeghanC1840
MeghanC1840 Posts: 9 Member
Y'all before I started Keto I was a Starbucks iced caramel macchiato EVERY MORNING kind of gal. This is the only thing I crave now 3 weeks in. I just feel like I NEED it to wake up. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could replace this with that is Keto friendly?? I've stuck to my guns and gone without but the struggle is REAL now.

Replies

• eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not a coffee connoisseur, but couldn't you do a Starbucks coffee (iced) with their sugar-free caramel syrup and heavy cream?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You're right at the break point of breaking the caffeine addiction and dependency completely. I honestly would push through, if you can. And later, explore options like Mark's Daily Apple's Iced Primal Coffee (you can use great quality decaf if you love the taste of coffee, etc.)...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I get an iced Americano with heavy cream at Starbucks. I don't use artificial sweeteners but if you do you could get sugar free syrup in it!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. My daily coffee drink was one of the only sweet things I had besides fruit. So I miss that sweet coffee flavor for sure. Search on Google "Keto Starbucks drinks" and many ideas will pop up! They have a Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup which I think is a good substitute. Try it with heavy whipping cream at Starbucks.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    You're right at the break point of breaking the caffeine addiction and dependency completely. I honestly would push through, if you can. And later, explore options like Mark's Daily Apple's Iced Primal Coffee (you can use great quality decaf if you love the taste of coffee, etc.)...

Coffee is a treat I don't want to give up. :) Being able to drink it makes LC/keto more manageable for me and allows me to go out with friends and always have something I can order, a black coffee, pretty much anywhere we would go.
  • MeghanC1840
    MeghanC1840 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great ideas guys! Thx so much!! I don't think I'll ever be totally off caffeine!! I have had Coke Zero and mio energy so I haven't been off caffeine....
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to not use artificial sweeteners?
    How are you concerning espresso vrs. Coffee?

We bought our own espresso machine. I steam one cup of unsweetened coconut milk mixed with two tbs heavy cream. I add 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened coco powder and one packet of Truvia with my espresso shots and then mix in the milk. I think it is 150 calories total with a good start on my fat intake for the day.

If no espresso, then I do a cup of good coffee over ice with a splash of cream and a couple drops of stevia.

I have found that I like the stevia in cold drinks and the Truvia in hot drinks. YMMV
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bullet proof coffee. Or just whatever coffee from the store with flavored syrups (they make sugar free) in the blender with whatever cream you use and make it frothy.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    At starbucks I do a Venti iced coffee with SF cinnamon dolce or vanilla syrup.

I've been making iced coffee at work with espresso, heavy cream and Torani SF salted caramel syrup. I've played with the SF syrups and this one is, by far, my favorite.
  • mafhoney
    mafhoney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like drinking espresso before I head to work, I'll stop at one of the coffee shops on the way in and pick up an iced americano with sf vanilla syrup and add some half n half to it (I know people do HWC, but it's got way too many calories for me). I think Starbucks also has sf caramel syrup that you can do that with instead.

At home though I have a Nespresso and will use a couple pods and add 2tbsp half n half, 1/4c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and mct oil (I only use it if I'm also eating something - otherwise I will get an upset stomach), and use an immersion blender to get the oil into everything. It's still not the same as my vanilla lattes I used to get, but it still gives me plenty of energy.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    This might help and she has recipes for DYI. Take you money you save not drinking out and buy some good steaks o:)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you can push through that would be best for the long term but if you decide to try a sugar free version, I'd suggest asking for half n half instead of hwc because you'll end up with tons more calories and you'll have no idea how much they really put in. It's less likely to end up a 500 calorie drink with half n half. And you're only going to get like 0.2g more carbs per tablespoon.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Timmy's and SB used to be an everyday stop for me too. I switched out to coffee with cream and a shocking amount of Splenda to keep me sane.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you don't object to artificial sweeteners, stock up on Skinny Syrups. I have half a pantry of their syrups which I add to coffee, yogurt and smoothies. They have a wide variety of flavors but my favorite is Chocolate Caramel Truffle. You can find some of their products at Bed Bath and Beyond stores, with a wider selection at BB&B online. For some reason, I've been able to find some of their products at discount stores like TJ Maxx and (of all places) Burlington Coat Factory.

Full disclosure: I hate Starbucks, the ultimate America Inc. ripoff. Geez, how hard is to to make a pot of coffee at home and pour it into a thermos bottle? Or you can be as lazy as me, get a Keurig coffeemaker and STILL only pay between 35 and 50 cents a cup. And avoid all that yup-snot pretentiousness and irritating music at the same time.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    did you know Americano and Espresso shots have more carbs than drip coffee? just fyi folks.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @mandycat223 I've got to confess I just really like Starbucks and Dunkin. Starbucks for espresso drinks and Dunkin for iced coffee.

I have an espresso machine and a keurig at home. I make my morning coffee there. I consider my iced coffee or iced Americano my lunch time treat and I don't really have time to go home and hassle with warming up the espresso maker and all that on lunch. Going to Starbucks or Dunkin gives me a break...lets me listen to my music. Worth the money for me.

Also the water at work is awful and as such the coffee at work is beyond awful.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do too also miss it, but I have made the adjustment and have been quite satisfied with a sugar-free ice cinnamon dolce iced coffee. And YES, I also concur that their prices are outrageous -- only once a week for me. :)
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Cafe Americano with a splash of HWC. So smooth and divine. Annoys me that it has 3 carbs for a grande (I think that's the size I get) but I easily make them fit. And it just tastes GOOOOOOD.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    This might help and she has recipes for DYI. Take you money you save not drinking out and buy some good steaks o:)

Humm, the copy didn't come through and I didn't even notice.
    http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/how-to-order-low-carb-keto-at-starbucks-and-10-low-carb-starbucks-copycat-recipes/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Y'all before I started Keto I was a Starbucks iced caramel macchiato EVERY MORNING kind of gal. This is the only thing I crave now 3 weeks in. I just feel like I NEED it to wake up. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could replace this with that is Keto friendly?? I've stuck to my guns and gone without but the struggle is REAL now.

If I'm traveling, I'll order a Starbucks quad espresso shot in a venti cup, fill with ice, add 2 oz. heavy cream, garnish with 1/2 dropper of chocolate stevia (from my pocket pantry). Voilà! $3