meds that cause weight gain + keto = ?

Options
cottagegirl71
cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
So....had a back injury in July last year likely from being a Crossfit newbie(L5 S1 disk extrusion, sciatic nerve pain, lordosis of the lumbar spine). It is now June and I am still dealing with this. Done all the conservative stuff (meds, physio, yoga, acupuncture, osteopath, chiro, meditation,etc.). Have been on cyclobenzaprine/naproxen or ibuprofen for months and am now starting on gabapentin. Have very recently realized through some research that both drugs cause weight gain. Yippee! I have also gained ~20 lbs since Christmas despite eating pretty clean/low carb - that is on top of the 40 lbs I already needed to lose. Has anyone had any success with LOSING weight while being on this - or any other drug that has this evil side effect? (I mean come on, chronic pain is no fun to begin with so why kick a girl when she's already down?!) I am at my wits end right now. Stay on the drugs, dopey/grumpypants all the time, get fatter but maybe better? OR just say NO to drugs, strict keto (which is pretty anti-inflammatory anyway), and stay as mobile as possible and hope this goes away? Would love to hear other's experience or advice on this. The thought of going through another summer in worse shape (mentally and physically) than 2016 just makes me want to curl up in bed, eat carbs and cry :(

Replies

• wardenmom
    wardenmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I don't have any advice but my situation is somewhat similar. I take Cyclobenzaprine about 2x a week. I have severe arthritis around my spine and 2 herniated discs. I am due to have ablation (kill the nerves around my spine). However, this never helps me out %100. I am attempting Keto this go around, to see if this will help with all the Inflammation. I have extreme anxiety about having needles so close to the spine. It is not exactly painless to go through the procedure. Its not much help at the moment but like you, I don't want to spend another year feeling awful. I know one of the Doctor's said, it would help if you lost weight. True. But it would help if I wasn't in chronic pain, which leads to chronic inflammation, so that I can exercise vigorously to lose the weight. Hence, why I am trying Keto and going to incorporate IF. Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Keto way of eating has greatly lessen my. Arthritis pain since 2014.