Thoughts on P3 portable protein packs?

Options
Samquentin
Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
I've seen them in the store, and thought, they may be a good post-op thing.... But I'm not quite sold on the nuts...
http://www.proteinproteinprotein.com/

I really like the turkey/ham/cheddar one.
I just found the jerky kind.

So, I guess my question, good/bad as a quick, grab?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I like them, they are super convenient and the protein is good. They are a little salty for my taste, but as a quick grab in a pinch, I'd say they are good. They have them at the 99 cent store by me for 3/$1.00 sometimes! Just curious, why aren't you sold on the nuts?
  • Samquentin
    Options
    The nutritionist has said nuts are too fatty. (I dont care for peanuts) The handbook they give out, has a serving (heart healthy fats-one per meal if needed) as:
    almonds-6 nuts
    peanuts-10 nuts
    pecans- 4 halves
    pistachios- 16 nuts
    sunflower seeds- 1Tb
    walnuts- 4 halves.

i'm sure the diet recommendation varies from surgery group/dietitian to surgery group dietitian.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    nuts are fatty but they fill you up. I eat multiple servings of different types all day. Unless your diet is super clean go for nuts over ANY PROCESSED food. Refined sugars and carbs aren't filling and cause weight gain.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Aztec4Life. Yes, nuts are fatty, but they definitely do fill you up, and in the P3 packs it's a pretty small amount anyway. I add a spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter to my yogurt and its super delicious and filling.
  • Samquentin
    Options
    That is an excellent idea!! I'll have to look around for a tri/box reusable thing. It would be more cost effective too. Thanks @jcavanna2!!!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan because I'm cheap. I agree with jcavanna2, make your own.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @Samquentin I actually use a regular Tupperware, not one that has separate sections. I just put the meat on one side, and the cheese on the other. I recommend putting your nuts in a sandwich bag because if you refrigerate them they get kind of soft which is gross...lol
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend bento boxes. They tend to be small and have sections or trays for dividing up food. I have two that are just perfect - the lower portion holds my 6 oz of lunch, and the upper 2-compartment portion holds some rolled up deli meat and fruit. Got them for about $2 each at Daiso.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @AllisonMart - I second your suggestion for a bento box. I have a few of these ones that I pack mine and my husband's lunches in each day. On work days, I have some food at 9:30am, 11:00am and 2:30pm. In the two smaller sections I'll pack a serving of cheese, deli meat, chicken salad, apple and almond butter, or nuts. In the bigger section, I'll pack a garden salad. Then I eat from one section at each of my three "meal" times.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've never had them but I'm all about making my own. It's pretty much what I do every day for lunch. My favorite deli meat is the Boar's Head Teriyaki Chicken and a couple of Sargento cheese sticks. You can't go wrong! I'll also cut up 2 oz of baby cucumbers.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @Lisidy What a great idea! I love how you have one section designated for each time. My snack items - the meat and fruit - are just for whenever and I don't always eat them. Those are nice boxes too. Bentos are the best!
  • Southpaw303
    Southpaw303 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the P3 packs for a while now. Due to the convenience of eating on the go. I tend to stick to the ones with two meats and a cheese, or my weekness of peanuts lol. I'm a peanut butter fanatic!
  • khall1985mfp
    khall1985mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like them. I know I could/should probably be making my own to help with cost effectiveness, but they're so handy. That's normally what I bring for lunch on my work days. That plus a protein shake towards the end of my shift keep me going for 13 hours.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just chop up the cooked grilled chicken breast in different flavors you can get from Trader Joe's, and toss it in a little tupperware container. More filling, higher protein, lower calorie, and less expensive than the pre-packaged ones with nuts and cheese (both of which are very calorie-dense and not as high protein as meat is).