Dropping My Carbs to 20 - Food Ideas?

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
I've been a 40 net carber for a while and it's so much easier, usually end up with a day at anywhere from 25-40 net carbs on average. My new diabetic meds are making my out on weight like crazy. It's getting to the frustration point where it's demoralizing. I think I'm gonna drop the meds and go super low carb (20 total). To those here in that kind of level, what are your goto foods? I'm gonna go shopping and stock up.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Cheese (all kinds) chicken, pork, steaks, ribs, lamb, bacon, almonds, peanuts, just up your protein intakke. Have three burgers instead of 2. Have 4 rashers instead of 3....

My H was a T2D, and by cutting his carbs to a minimal figure and eating proteins to his heart's content, he has dropped 35lbs, and is not diabetic.

Omit, or avoid at all costs, sugar, cakes, biscuits, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes or anything starchy....
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @JessicaLCHF - Since May 2nd, I've been tracking 20 grams or less total carbs (I choose not to count net carbs to make the process easier for myself). You are welcome to browse my diary. It is very simple, possibly odd at times...lol. I liked keeping the food choices simple and quick for those first 30 days (I was dairy, alcohol, wheat/grain free too). This month I will be playing with more elaborate recipes since I've added dairy into the mix.
    My go-to foods: boiled eggs, chicken, hamburger patties (80/20), pickles, olives, avocados, coconut oil, canned salmon, some bacon & sausage. I would cook the meat ahead of time to prevent "excuses"...lol.

Wishing you the highest success on your new adventure!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Thanks. A lot of issues have lead me here but I think it's the road forward for me. I figured lots of meat, eggs, and cheese - has to be my mantra.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks. A lot of issues have lead me here but I think it's the road forward for me. I figured lots of meat, eggs, and cheese - has to be my mantra.

Yea. I'm not tracking right now but it is still fairly simple versions/recipes of meat, eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, misc cooking oils, select vegetables and select fruits for me. The longer I have eaten very low carb, the more simple my tastes have become. What has always been key for me for weight management ( I'm not diabetic) is to NOT include "snack " stuff. Some people do great with snacks foods but I find it equally easy to eat a bag of pork rinds as a bag of potato chips. i suppose in regards to being diabetic the pork rinds are a better choice (dunno).

Sorry I went off on a weight management tangent. It was meant as a "what I ate to keep to 20 carbs or less". I nearly always (still) have leftover meat in the refrigerator in case I get hungry or just have a need to nosh. Eating leftover roast beef takes more effort than eating, well most everything and it is nearly always zero carb.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We eat mostly dairy free, so for dinner I'll pair a fatty meat (sausage, chicken thighs with the skin on, non-lean ground beef) and a non starchy veg; cauliflower, broccoli, green beans., etc. cooked or steamed, adding butter, coconut oil, or olive oil. Also eggs, of course. I use mustard, salt, and spices to liven things up. I log every bite so I don't go over my carbs because I have NO LEEWAY, I used to think I did but that extra 55 pounds said otherwise heh.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

If you haven't already checked out optimisingnutrition.com please do, his diabetes and nutritional ketosis listing of nutrient dense foods is excellent. My HD is diabetic and I am trying to eat at nutritional ketosis levels. It has really helped us with shopping for things we both should be eating. There is a 2ketodudes podcast with, Marty Kendall who created the listings, that you might want to listen to, 12/4/16 episode.

Good luck with stopping the meds.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I'm so happy you came to this decision. I didn't want to say anything before and risk coming off as critical or harsh, because I know dropping to sub-20 is hard, as I've been there. Plus, I just had the anniversary of my mom's death from complications from diabetes, so I didn't trust my thoughts to not come off as too strong considering how I feel about that evil diabetes right now. I really believe this is going to be your answer. I hope you can give it time. 6m to a year. And then maybe you'll be able to go back up to 40 or 50 to give you some variety and wiggle room. It takes a while to heal, but you are on the right path, hon.
    Best wishes! :heart:

Thanks. That made me smile. Yes, support needs to be supportive at all levels, I agree. It's a perfect firestorm right now m: lack of insurance leading to sub-par diabetes meds my doctor doesn't like but I can afford paying on my own, but maybe this is road I have to be on now. So I can feel sorry for myself and fight the bad meds and keep throwing money at the problem that is not helping at all - or I can be proactive and knuckle down and love the journey trusting it's taking me the right places even though it looks like a place I didn't want to go. I'd rather feel like I'm doing something than be a victim - even if that something is really hard for me to do. I've done under 20 before (long time ago) for about six months do I know I can get in the groove and it will get easier. Thanks for all the support. :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think it's worth noting that the majority of medications our doctors place us on, are there to fight/mask the symptoms of a condition or illness; they do very little if anything, to implement the cure.

Frankly (to be blunt) although I am totally aware this is not always possible or realistic, controlling - and even, occasionally, curing - a specific illness or condition, is the Patient's responsibility.

Many patients are either badly informed or do not (for a plethora of reasons) do any personal research into their conditions.
    I hasten to add, this is far from the case regarding members on this forum. To say we are a curious bunch, and good at asking questions, would probably qualify as the current Understatement of the Month. We want to know, and most of the people here are on an ongoing and tireless quest to be totally informed and on-song....

But it's a tragic indictment, to me, that the Medical profession is so hell-bent on making us 'feel' better, there is nothing in their job-spec (it would appear) that dictates they should be focusing on actually making us well.

(Chinese/Oriental/ Doctors are apparently only given a salary for every patient on their register who is not under care or consultation. The minute a patient becomes ill, this allowance is suspended. And first and foremost, a Doctor will work with a patient on a healthy dietary regimen. I wonder how quickly Western Modern medicine would change if the same were to happen with OUR medical profession...?!)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth noting that the majority of medications our doctors place us on, are there to fight/mask the symptoms of a condition or illness; they do very little if anything, to implement the cure.

Frankly (to be blunt) although I am totally aware this is not always possible or realistic, controlling - and even, occasionally, curing - a specific illness or condition, is the Patient's responsibility.

Many patients are either badly informed or do not (for a plethora of reasons) do any personal research into their conditions.
    I hasten to add, this is far from the case regarding members on this forum. To say we are a curious bunch, and good at asking questions, would probably qualify as the current Understatement of the Month. We want to know, and most of the people here are on an ongoing and tireless quest to be totally informed and on-song....

But it's a tragic indictment, to me, that the Medical profession is so hell-bent on making us 'feel' better, there is nothing in their job-spec (it would appear) that dictates they should be focusing on actually making us well.

(Chinese/Oriental/ Doctors are apparently only given a salary for every patient on their register who is not under care or consultation. The minute a patient becomes ill, this allowance is suspended. And first and foremost, a Doctor will work with a patient on a healthy dietary regimen. I wonder how quickly Western Modern medicine would change if the same were to happen with OUR medical profession...?!)

PREACH IT!! Also, that is SO interesting what you shared about Oriental Doctors....I did not know that!! The things I learn on this board never cease to amaze me!
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You should check out Keto with Casey on YouTube. She is so encouraging and keeps it super simple. I was eating like crap and after a doctors visit I realized I was at my worst weight and had gained 30 lbs after giving birth to my 3 child. My cholesterol was high and I had elevated liver enzymes. So I thought I'd give this a shot. It's hard in the beginning but it's so worth it. Casey really broke it down in a very simple way. She follows Dr. Weston. I recommend you check out page 4 https://caseydurango.com/page-4-food-list/

I started on May 19th and have lost 18.4 lbs in just 2 weeks and 4 days. Best of luck!!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Thanks. My daughter is up from NJ with the grands and she's keto except sometimes she uses visiting me as diet vacation! So she can either be super supportive or super enabling!

But so far today we're both doing good. 17 net carbs for me for the day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    That was probably an auto correct above but it is Dr. Westman. Eric Westman, Duke University in case someone wants to look at his videos and such. His "page 4" has gotten pretty famous in a short period of time.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Don't forget to have some canned fish around. When I'm in a hurry and need to grab something to eat fast, it's a lot easier to stay keto if I have a quick food at-the-ready. Canned olives make a nice addition also.

Don't forget herbal teas. The ones I drink (both hot and cold) have zero carbs yet they have delicious flavors. :)
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    That was probably an auto correct above but it is Dr. Westman. Eric Westman, Duke University in case someone wants to look at his videos and such. His "page 4" has gotten pretty famous in a short period of time.

Whoops Dr. Westman thanks
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    Don't forget to have some canned fish around. When I'm in a hurry and need to grab something to eat fast, it's a lot easier to stay keto if I have a quick food at-the-ready. Canned olives make a nice addition also.

Don't forget herbal teas. The ones I drink (both hot and cold) have zero carbs yet they have delicious flavors. :)

Good idea. I love olives. I usually keep canned chicken on hand but I need to try various fishes too. Easy chicken salad with an avocado, onion and bit of onion.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is study the carb content lists of foods. Go for as many zero carb foods as you can. Like arugula is zero carbs, Romain lettuce is the next lowest. I just look over the lists of foods and try to eat as much of those and save your carbs for foods for items like cheese, olives, nuts...which all have carbs.. . And don't just assume a food is low carb from reading it here.. look each day at the lists.

i have a friend who has dieted low carb for years who drinks red wine thinking it was low carb.. She didn't believe me when I informed her a dill pickle has one carb as well.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @elisa123gal - Hmm. Not sure green leafy stuff is where I'd start trying to save a small # of (net) carbs....

All other things being =, I'd probably shave reduce my nuts instead.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

If you know - is this list for maintenance as well as induction?