Unique breakfast ideas...other than eggs??

Options
2»

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy ok, ok!!

I posted this on another thread, but darned if I can find the link to it, so here it is again:

8 medium-sized, unwaxed firm limes.
    2oz coarse sea salt

SPICES:
    1 tablespoon (15grammes) ground mustard seed
    1tbsp ground fenugreek
    hot chilli powder - from 1 - 2 tbsps, depending on how hot you want it. I always add 1 and a half...
    half a teaspoon of turmeric powder.

half a teaspoonful of asafoetida (as pure as you can get it, not mixed with any other 'carrier' spice)
    200ml mustard oil.

I had to get these last 2 ingredients online, but well worth it!

METHOD.
    Cut the limes into 4 'boats' lengthways, then each 'boat into 3.
    Place into a good pyrex or non-reactive bowl, and cover with the salt.
    Cover with clingfilm (I think it's called 'saran wrap' in the USA!) and secure with a plastic band.
    Shake well to toss it thoroughly together, then leave for at least 2 weeks in an out-of-the-way place, but not cold.

You'll find over the days, that the limes will give out a lot of juice. Don't worry about this, it's fine. It will thicken and become syrupy. Incorporate it into the pickle.

In 2 weeks, the limes will have lost their bright green colour, and instead look browned and softened, almost 'cooked'.
    That's perfect - !
    Uncover, and dispose of the saran wrap.
    Add the ground mustard, fenugreek, chilli and turmeric. Stir well, leave to one side.

Now comes the 'stinky' bit. Open your windows, and ventilate the place, because asafoetida is pretty strong stuff, but combined with the oil, is amazing and delicious, and just boosts flavours wonderfully!

Place the oil in a good stainless steel pan, and add the asafoetida.
    Stir continually, until you bring it up to smoking point.
    Remove from the heat, and immediately pour it carefully, over the limes and spices mixture.
    Be careful, it will sizzle and spit, so do it gently and gradually.
    Make sure all the asafoetida goes in with the oil....

Carefully stir really well to combine everything, and put into clean jars immediately. Close, label and leave for at least a week.
    If you can resist temptation for that long.

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Enjoy!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For the past two weeks I've been having a frappuccino/shake for breakfast. Starbucks iced coffee for the base (you can find it at your local grocer in the iced coffee section), half scoop of chocolate protein powder, few drops of stevia, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and ice. Takes 3 seconds to throw together and I'm out the door for work.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Asafoetida. Now that's a new one for me. Had to visit Google for that. It seems like I might be able to find it at my local India grocers. Possible subs being garlic, onions, chives. Off to Google additional recipes with asafoetida aka hing.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think I can source both the asafoetida and mustard oil locally, lots of Indian and Pakis round here. I used asafoetida in Australia, it was in dried form. I don't remember it cooking up a nasty smell. Are you using some fresh? And my Indian friends have always said just sub a good quality garlic as they do when they can't get asafoetida. While in Australia, I cooked a lot of Indian foods. Ingredients were easy to get and other Southeast Asian cuisines as well. A little harder to find things here in land locked Colorado, but there are some good international grocery stores that try to stock authentic ingredients. I'll have to go on a search.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I did try using garlic once but the flavour and aroma do linger longer and are quite pungent, over a long period of time. In fact, the inclusion of garlic intensifies.
    Using asafoetida has no such 'side-effects' but it does enhance the flavour and sharpen the different notes of the spices.
    You only need a small amount but by golly, it does tell.

Just to repeat, make sure it's not 'cut' with other spices. Turmeric is a common added component which in and of itself is certainly not bad, but it means that the asafoetida is "diluted" (if you see what I mean) and this recipe already calls for turmeric as a spice on it own....
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Breakfast! And not an egg in sight. :smiley:

s0zqcx6lhly8.png
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Bon appetit, @Steph_Maks - !!
  • JustDeke
    JustDeke Posts: 53 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Couple of my favorite no egg breakfasts:
    1. In one of the versions of butter coffee that I make, I add protein powder to it. It makes it a pretty easy breakfast that keeps me going.
    2. 1 Avocado smushed into 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Simple and tasty.
    3. High quality cold cuts and cheese.
    4. Brussel Sprouts! Cook three slices of bacon. While they're cooking, use a food processor to thinly slice up the sprouts. Remove the bacon. Throw the sprouts along with a tiny bit of onion into the bacon grease and cook until they're browned to your preferred doneness. Chop the bacon and put it back in the sprouts. Pure heaven.
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My breakfast of choice is usually no breakfast. I'll do a 18:6 fast and start with lunch.

Lunch is eggs tho. Hehe
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    JustDeke wrote: »
    [*] Brussel Sprouts! Cook three slices of bacon. While they're cooking, use a food processor to thinly slice up the sprouts. Remove the bacon. Throw the sprouts along with a tiny bit of onion into the bacon grease and cook until they're browned to your preferred doneness. Chop the bacon and put it back in the sprouts. Pure heaven.
    [/list]

Um, YUM! Will definitely have to try this!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Fave breaky of oil packed chunk tuna with a dab of mayo and a big heaping tbsp of Patak's Hot Lime Pickle. Scoop with cucumber or zucchini coins or celery sticks. Savoury yumminess!

Haven't you made your own pickle yet - !? I have just finished a batch! It's glorious!! (The jar on the right is from last December's batch.)

rgdfpene1vjz.jpg

It's cheaper for me to buy it than make it here.... And I have a job and a couple volunteer commitments and parents with health issues. Thank goodness no kids or grandkids.