Gisele's OMAD

Options
pacific904
pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
After trying various protocols (low carb, fasting) and losing 15 lbs, I am going to move to OMAD.

My aims are to improve my health and losing 34 lbs in weight. I am a great fan of Jason Fung and reading "The guide to Fasting" that covers OMAD is very inspirational. Last week I did doing 4.5 days fasting and that paid for the cost of the book.

Benefits of OMAD will be, for me, little cooking (which I do not enjoy) , saving on groceries and trips to the stores. I am aiming to go low carb (less than 50 grs a day) as I truly think it is beneficial to health.

My obstacles are: I love anything sweet (candies, cakes ...) and love bread, potatoes - and lack of exercise (it is so cold, grey and damp here in the UK) that I have no incentive to go out.

I love to hear your tips. Thank you.

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing except my carbs are usually below 20, Good luck :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    pacific904 wrote: »
    After trying various protocols (low carb, fasting) and losing 15 lbs, I am going to move to OMAD.

My aims are to improve my health and losing 34 lbs in weight. I am a great fan of Jason Fung and reading "The guide to Fasting" that covers OMAD is very inspirational. Last week I did doing 4.5 days fasting and that paid for the cost of the book.

Benefits of OMAD will be, for me, little cooking (which I do not enjoy) , saving on groceries and trips to the stores. I am aiming to go low carb (less than 50 grs a day) as I truly think it is beneficial to health.

My obstacles are: I love anything sweet (candies, cakes ...) and love bread, potatoes - and lack of exercise (it is so cold, grey and damp here in the UK) that I have no incentive to go out.

I'm just beginning to try LC (4-days running). My wife made the most spectacular desert tonight. Blackberries on a gram-cracker crust (with butter mixed in) and a topping with cream cheese, cream, and sugar mixed in. It is fabulous. Well so far, I just had one bite (not a couple of big servings like I would really like to have). I think that is what my rule will be, one bite allowed so I can at least get a taste but no quantity (for now). Good luck! I'm opting for just some straight blackberries with some cream. With the blackberries and some tart cherry juice I will have with some ACV, I should be at about 30g of carbs for the day.
  • pacific904
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

That dessert with blackberries looks delicious - will definitely give it a go. i also found delicious low carb recipes on www.food.com. I am also going to reduce my carbs to 20 grms.

Another big gesture - I have thrown away my bathroom scales as often I weigh myself and if I do not see the weight loss expected I start overeating for a few days. I will dig out a pair of jeans that I am aiming to fit in and use this as benchmark.

Best of luck to all.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

I'm just beginning to try LC (4-days running). My wife made the most spectacular desert tonight. Blackberries on a gram-cracker crust (with butter mixed in) and a topping with cream cheese, cream, and sugar mixed in. It is fabulous. Well so far, I just had one bite (not a couple of big servings like I would really like to have). I think that is what my rule will be, one bite allowed so I can at least get a taste but no quantity (for now). Good luck! I'm opting for just some straight blackberries with some cream. With the blackberries and some tart cherry juice I will have with some ACV, I should be at about 30g of carbs for the day.

I've gone back to LCHF and have gotten adapted back to it. My hubby bought some blackberries. Hmmm... blackberries and cream with Stevia sprinkled on top sounds good
  • pacific904
    Options
    So glad the weekend is over. So much more difficult with hubby around.

Had meal at 2 pm today - needs to stay strong not to succomb. Also 30 grms of carbs so far - and one hour at the gym - so far so good!
  • blambo61
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »

I've gone back to LCHF and have gotten adapted back to it. My hubby bought some blackberries. Hmmm... blackberries and cream with Stevia sprinkled on top sounds good

More power to you all. I've decided to watch it (carbs) but I'm not going to go for 50g or less. It doesn't set well with my mind. I am going to avoid refined sugar though.
  • pacific904
    Options
    A good day yesterday. Hit a bit more than1200 calories and around 50 grms of carbs. I think I need a bit more than that, if it happens again I will take 2 tabs of olive oil plus a lemon juice. Someone I meet in the gym takes olive oil and lemon every day, she has done that for a month, and her skin has got a new glow!

Kind of sorry I throw my bathroom scales away as I weighed myself everyday but the numbers would determine the rest if the day, if I saw figures going up, I would think "what is the point" and binge. I am determined not to buy another scale and I want to use a pair of jeans to measure my progress.

Once a month I will weigh myself at Boots the Chemist.

Love this way of eating, I am saving money, I do not spend a lot of time in the kitchen and I am on my way making better food choices.

Great reading all the posts.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    A good day yesterday. Hit a bit more than1200 calories and around 50 grms of carbs. I think I need a bit more than that, if it happens again I will take 2 tabs of olive oil plus a lemon juice. Someone I meet in the gym takes olive oil and lemon every day, she has done that for a month, and her skin has got a new glow!

Kind of sorry I throw my bathroom scales away as I weighed myself everyday but the numbers would determine the rest if the day, if I saw figures going up, I would think "what is the point" and binge. I am determined not to buy another scale and I want to use a pair of jeans to measure my progress.

Love this way of eating, I am saving money, I do not spend a lot of time in the kitchen and I am on my way making better food choices.

I will try the olive oil and lemon thing. Good luck for your journey without the scales :)
  • blambo61
    Options

You don't have to weigh. That action doesn't cause us to lose weight. It can provide info so we can make necessary changes though. When you do weigh, you have to acknowledge there are fluctuations due to water retention, etc and not let it get you down. Only if it doesn't go the right direction for a whole week (or two) should you be worried. If it goes up a little, you may have lost fat but gained water. So don't binge if you see that!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you like Jason Fung he has some great videos about controlling insulin and intermittent fasting on the dietdoctor site.
  • pacific904
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    If you like Jason Fung he has some great videos about controlling insulin and intermittent fasting on the dietdoctor site.

Thank you. I also watch Dr Westman's videos on Youtube.

I have been thinking about paying for membership on dietdoctor.com but $9 is quite a lot, I am in the UK and if I pay something in dollars, I usually have to pay something on top to cover Forex exchange. Wonder if it is worth it as there is already a lot of info on the website!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss w/ Jason Fung, MD

I really enjoyed this interview with Jason Fung and I just ordered his book last night:

The Obesity Code
  • pacific904
    Options
    Mother's day in the UK yesterday. Allergic to cut flowers so my son and my hubby got me loads of my favourite chocolate ( Lindt and Rafaello)). Why oh why? Of course intended to have one a day but last night, came back from a shift exhausted and succumbed miserably. This morning put one in my mouth, chewed it and spitted it out.

Had a bad day yesterday - was working for the first time at Wembley Stadium fir the England-Lithuania football match in one of the restaurants, when collecting my uniform I asked for a size 16 UK for the shirt, ended up with a size 20 for a comfortable fit.

Disappointing to say the least!
  • walkingmywayslim
    walkingmywayslim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh love lindt but didnt get any for mothers day! Just having one sweet is torture :D
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Oh love lindt but didnt get any for mothers day! Just having one sweet is torture :D

I'd start with one sweet and then before I know it, the box would be empty... I wouldn't even realize haha
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    @pacific904 You are doing great! I also do low carb and it helps with my sugar cravings as long as I get in enough healthy fats. I think that is where a lot of people struggle with when they go low carb. If you aren't getting enough healthy fats then you are going to be more hungry and crave things like sugar. I used to be a huge sugar addict but since I follow a ketogenic diet I no longer feel powerless around sweets. Keep up the hardwork!!!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    @pacific904 I used to be the same way around chocolate so I told my husband :"Please don't give sweets unless I ask and even if I ask please say no you don't really want that" LOL
  • pacific904
    Options
    Today went a bit wrong - I chose to forget about OMAD and over indulged on sweet and savoury goodies. I now feel uncomfortable, bloated and nauseous. I cannot wait for tomorrow and resume OMAD with my usual mix of fresh vegetable and fruit juice and a small meal within a two hour window. Will I ever learn not to be my worst ennemy?
  • blambo61
    Options
    My problem is those things do not make me uncomfortable, bloated, or nauseous. Let those symptoms help curtail you. When I found out that fructose made my gout bad, I was able to cut down considerable on sweets since I have been a long time gout sufferer.