Introduce Yourself

Options
tinkerbellang83
tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
Tell us more about yourself; share your username on other apps such as Fitbit, Garmin, Strava, etc; where are you from; what got you interested in using the app; have you already started?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    So my name is Ange, Brit living in Ireland - Garmin User: tinkerbellang83 feel free to add me.

I've just finished up training and completing a 25km charity walk and figured why not try running again, it's about 7 years since I tried and I wasn't very good at it then.

I have done Day1 & 2 of week 1 so far.
  • l_lake
    l_lake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lauren. I'm in Canada.

I had tried C25K a few years ago, but just couldn't break the 5 minute runs. It would take me multiple weeks of trying before I could successfully complete any of the levels, but for whatever reason I just couldn't crack week 4. It didn't help that I was doing it outside in July in 30 degree heat. But it was pretty discouraging and eventually I just gave up on it.

Since then I've lost about 25 lbs so I thought maybe I'd give it another shot. I really enjoyed the feeling of running when I had tried before. So far, I've completed all the levels on the first try. I'm on week 7 now. It's crazy how much of the program is mental. As soon as you do something once, no matter how hard you thought it was, the next time it feels easier. For me anyway, once I did those 5 minutes once, they were easy.
  • starhails
    starhails Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, my name is Hayley. Live in nz, I start week 4 of c25k this week. Using c25k app on my iPhone and jawbone to see steps each day.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Rianne, from the UK and I completed week two yesterday. Bit nervous about starting week three, but more so the jump to week 4 as the total running time increases a lot (9 mins in wk3 versus 16 mins in wk4). Covering distances ranging from 2.05 to 2.15 miles so far.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Hi, I'm Rianne, from the UK and I completed week two yesterday. Bit nervous about starting week three, but more so the jump to week 4 as the total running time increases a lot (9 mins in wk3 versus 16 mins in wk4). Covering distances ranging from 2.05 to 2.15 miles so far.

I think that's the point I might start struggling to, but gonna give it a try and if I do struggle just repeat a week.
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm Lisa, from Michigan, USA. I had previously completed a couch to 5k program in 2014 and it helped me learn how to run and also help me lose 42lbs. Now, I'm back at getting healthy again and wanted to try it out again, but using the C25K app instead of the printed out version. I remember how so much of it is mental and telling myself that I've done it before so I can do it again. I'm starting week 2 today! Looking forward to seeing how strong I'll become again! But always more fun to do with others, so I'm glad to be a part of this group.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm Michelle in California. I'm on my third go at Week 6. I had allergies/asthma the first time and had to adjust my meds for that and then I had a cold. Just finished Day 1 again yesterday. I'm signed up for a 5K on 5/28. I won't be done with training, but I'll have put in a week of 25 minute runs, so I'm hoping that race day magic will help.
  • Carlala2
    Carlala2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! I'm Carla, and I'm from South Carolina, US. I just got the C25K app, and I'm really nervous about starting it. I've been walking briskly 3 miles every day and thought I would give this a try to challenge myself more. I'm nervous about starting because I've never been able to run and I'm still very overweight. Do you need to be in better shape before starting this program? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Carlala2 wrote: »
    Do you need to be in better shape before starting this program? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Carla,

Nope. Just start at the beginning and if you find you can't do the complete workout, just keep repeating the week until you are able to finish it. I suspect you will be fine if you are already walking three miles. There is no shame in repeating weeks if needed though.

The advice you'll see again and again is to go slow and pace yourself to complete the interval. Your goal right now is just to finish each run interval. Speed will improve over time and shouldn't be your focus for now. I'm in week 7 and doing 25 minutes, and when I think I need to walk, I just run slower. Often slower than I can easily walk. That's what enables me to get through it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Carlala2 wrote: »
    Hello, everyone! I'm Carla, and I'm from South Carolina, US. I just got the C25K app, and I'm really nervous about starting it. I've been walking briskly 3 miles every day and thought I would give this a try to challenge myself more. I'm nervous about starting because I've never been able to run and I'm still very overweight. Do you need to be in better shape before starting this program? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Carla I'm still fairly in the obese section of the BMI chart and just about to start Week 3. The best thing to do is try it and see for yourself, as mentioned already above take it slow and also focus on your breathing.
  • Carlala2
    Carlala2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I'm going to try it when the weather clears up and I can get back to the track. I'll let you know how it goes. :smile:
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Heyy I'm Alex from Illinois. Lost 30 lbs so far want to lose at least 50 more. Just completed week 1 day 2 of c25K. Tried this app awhile ago and quit. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do week 1 for 2 weeks.but just glad to be at it and wanna lose more weight
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm Morgan, I live in Des Moines, IA.

So far, using MFP I've lost 50lbs in a little over 8 months. I'm looking to lose about 40 more, but right now I'm focusing more on fitness and toning than losing the weight.

I started C25K about a month ago and my husband is working out with me. We are really busy, so we have been doing C25K when we get the chance which is about twice a week. We were really out of shape, so we repeated week 1, until we felt comfortable moving to week 2. We are currently on week 2, and loving the increased difficulty.
  • damdam96
    damdam96 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Dammy and I'm from the UK. I'm 21 and have about 30-50 pounds to lose. I tried C25K a couple of months ago when I started my weight loss journey and gave up on about day 3. I started again and I'm on day 2 and feeling a lot better about it. Think the 7kg I've lost helps and running sooo much slower, like literally not sure if you can even call what I'm dong a run. Anyways, nice to be part of the group - hopefully I can complete it!
  • Ninjakitty15
    Ninjakitty15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Isha, I'm from the UK. I started MFP a couple months ago and have lost 6kg/13lbs since then. I started walking just over a month ago to prepare for c25k (I haven't done more than sit on my butt for many years), and now I'm on week 2 of the course. I'm using Zombies 5k, I find the story a little bit of extra enjoyment that I sometimes need.

Partly I started the course because I wanted to lose more weight and get fitter, really badly. I have an image of myself that I finally clicked into wanting to achieve enough to start. But partly I've just always wanted to run. I've always imagined it feels really good once you're in a good place with it, and a lot of my music just really screams "run with me!". And now I am.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hello newbies! Well done on the weight loss and getting started on C25K (with or without zombies). Looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Monica and I'm from Columbus Ohio! I completed C25K about a month ago doing a combo of treadmill mostly and a few times outdoors. (initially weather was the reason but I also discovered I preferred indoors) For some reason I could not do it outdoors. I immediately became winded and had to stop. At the end I could go 30 minutes without stopping on the treadmill but outdoors maybe 3 minutes.

So I am doing it again this time entirely outdoors. I am on week 3 day 1 and right now still can't imagine actually running the entire 5K without stopping- I agree it is mental.

Background on me- I lost 109 pounds using MFP and strictly walking -10K a day goal most days of the week. I have been walking 5 Ks since September 2016 never concerned about the competitive side until recently when I had the urge to run. After being in weight maintenance since October 2016 I wanted to set new goals but I admit I am struggling. I keep reminding myself slow and steady wins the race!

So glad to see this group so I can get tips!
  • sjbactad
    sjbactad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just started C25K tonight. Looking forward to this new process.
  • pommid
    pommid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Belen from the pacific northwest up in the states. I usually go for walks while calorie counting in my day, and previously when I was doing weightlifting programs I tried C25K in my off days, but the app was so ugly to use I kind of just ignored it and did 30 minute walk/jogs on my own. I'd like to just push through it because I want the regimented structure of C25K. Feel free to add me btw!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Hi Belen. There are a few different apps you can use. Most people seem to use the Zen Labs one, but I use Run Double because I found it easier to use. You do have to pay after a trial period, but I think the cost was pretty low and it also has fun run, improvers, and bridge programs to longer distances. Either way you might want to look around to find one that works better for you than the standard.

I started off doing the same thing -- just running. However, I felt like I was not progressing so I went to the structure of C25K. I am doing my last run on the program today, and I am running 30 minutes without stopping (and have been doing 25+ minutes per the program since week 7). I was able to run a 5K a couple of weeks ago even though I was not actually done with training. I think the program is the way to go if you want to see measurable progress.

I'm on the west coast myself, but down here in California.