What motivates you?

Options
jurapak9960
jurapak9960 Posts: 32 Member
Hi everyone! I'm not one to normally post, but I am personally feeling a mid-month plateau and needed a pick me up! One of the things that motivates me towards a healthier lifestyle is seeing others motivation and successes. What inspires you to stay on this journey? What motivates you to stay strong and work towards your goals?

You all are such an inspiration to me and have helped me towards my goals! Without the community at myfitnesspal, I know I would have given in to temptation and my old lifestyle months ago. Now, I am over 50 pounds lighter and training for my first half marathon! You all are amazing and keep up all the hard work!!

Replies

• laureljenn
    laureljenn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think for me it's about becoming more confident with how I look or how I perceive others see me. If I am at a smaller size and not busting out of my clothes I feel better about myself. It also helps me feel more frisky in the bedroom when I'm more confident with how I look.
  • jurapak9960
    Options
    Honestly a very large portion of it is pure vanity. I am (or I guess was) "the fat one" in my little family unit and in my larger friend group. I can't wait to see everyone next weekend and for the first time I am really hoping for nice, warm weather so I can show off a bit.
    I also had some digestion issues that are a lot better now that I have a better macro balance. I also sleep a lot better on days I get a good workout in.

I agree that vanity plays a major role! I live far away from my family and knowing that I get to see them after a while and them recognize my changes is huge for my motivation and reinforcement of what I am doing to stay healthy!
  • jurapak9960
    edited May 2017
    Options
    laureljenn wrote: »
    I think for me it's about becoming more confident with how I look or how I perceive others see me. If I am at a smaller size and not busting out of my clothes I feel better about myself. It also helps me feel more frisky in the bedroom when I'm more confident with how I look.

I love being able to try on the clothes of what I used to wear and feel how baggy they are now. That is a huge motivator and NSV for sure!
  • jurapak9960
    Options
    Hi Kelsey, well I am actually motivated by looking and feeling better. Having MORE energy, however is my #1 concern. Life can knock the wind out of you if you know what I mean. When I wake up early, make better food choices and get a little exercise in I feel whole and complete. I feel like I matter and I feel like I can give my all to others. That's the feeling I chase every single day and I have given myself permission to feel the opposite on some days. Not every day will be GREAT, but every day can be celebrated as a chance to do something good for myself and in turn to good for others!

I totally get what you mean about the energy. Before I could barely make it through the day without a nap or constantly feeling groggy. Now I have so much energy and I sleep so much more sound at night! It does make a major difference and it's easy to see those changes when it affect your daily activities!
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am motivated by a couple of things. Restarted this journey more to get back to healthier choice and regular exercising. I want to be super active when I retire - 12 to 15 years from now. Decided I had better start now to really make that happen. Then, as I started losing the last stubborn pounds and a lot of inches, it was how I felt and looked that really made me push through. This group has really helped with encouragement and support.
  • Mousaroni
    Mousaroni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I got to the point where walking 30k steps a day is my comfortable activity level (I've been working at horse ranches for a year). Whenever I laze around for more than a few days, my muscles feel like they're atrophying and I get a little less firm! I like to feel like I can stand on my feet all day. When my feet hurt, I'm dissatisfied. So I guess my motivation is being able to DO what I do, without complications.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I sorta new to this. I had a stroke (1.5 years ago) and I was dealing with aphasia and apraxia, and this would make me feel good (35 lbs ago). It was not being able to speak (I was able to understand and read) and it made me feel like a little kid. I had been a professor!

The stroke left me with healthy body (it was my brain confusion) and it's kind of a shame if I don't do anything with it. Six months after my stroke, I was teaching one class. Apraxia still kind of bums me out, but "that which does not kill us makes us stronger."

The IVF doctor has my 14 embryos frozen. I have to shape up to use them!

I have a 5K walk on June 24!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Vanity...I just don't feel good at my current weight.
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Getting healthy. I need and want to lose weight. Girls, at my age knees hurt. Vanity, yes. But I admit I love those new thigh hugging yoga pants. Haha. I never though my 65 year self would wear them. I'm loving it and see my body slowly change. :)
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying, a big part of it is vanity. I have actually always been "the tiny one" but a new medication made me gain some weight, plus I changed from being an active student on my feet all day working retail to a sedentary lifestyle with a desk job. I want to get back to my college weight for perfectly vain reasons.

That being said, I also am motivated simply to be more active and get stronger. I haven't had any muscle definition since high school, and have never had much upper body strength. I want to "grab it by the balls" while I'm still young and make those healthy changes to propel me forward as I get older.
  • poppypixie
    poppypixie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say competing with my former self motivates me but definitely getting started on the journey to being more like I used to be is motivating.

I know what I can achieve, I just need to work out how to fit it around the life I have now. I can't get stuck on what I used to be able to do at the gym, I need to accept that I don't have that strength still but I will achieve something I am happy with.
  • debisjazz
    debisjazz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So many things motivate me.
    My girls, I want to show them what it looks like to be in control of our health and your body
    Vanity...I want to look good
    My health, I've had many health concerns and I want to take control of what I can
    Me! Want to be the best version of me that I can be, and that includes looking and feeling my best, and knowing that I set a goal and reached it! Or more accurately right now, that I have set a goal and am working toward reaching it
  • Ladycatfield
    Ladycatfield Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have come back for a bit of a shake up and I have to say everyone else's motivation is my motivation. I keep thinking 'that's how I feel' and 'me too'. I've been trying to maintain after stopping the super restrictive Cambridge diet but honestly I want to still be losing. So I'm back for the accountability. Hope a few are still lurking in the group
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I have come back for a bit of a shake up and I have to say everyone else's motivation is my motivation. I keep thinking 'that's how I feel' and 'me too'. I've been trying to maintain after stopping the super restrictive Cambridge diet but honestly I want to still be losing. So I'm back for the accountability. Hope a few are still lurking in the group

We are here! Welcome back <3<3<3